Sky Factory 2.4 More Magical Crops Means Slower Growth?

G

Greatsaga

I have an automated Magical Crops system going currently. It's 9x9 with Lilypads of fertility underneath giving quite fast growth, an MFR Planter and Harvester, and it functions awesomely. But then if I try to get a second one of these going right next to the first, and I notice that the crops (in both systems) start growing super slowly again.

I am running a Sky Factory 2.4 server from my computer, so could this be due to some sort of server lag because more magical crops means way more tile entities in the world? Thing is, I see nothing in the server console about lag (like skipping ticks etc).

It also occurs to me that it might have something to do with how many lilypads of fertility I have? Each system gets approx 60 underneath the dirt.

I also had wanted to setup an entire building for automated magical crops, finally finishing one quarter of one of the rooms only to find that even with the 90ish lilypads of fertility, the crops were barely growing at all. They were INSIDE, but I have tested growth speeds inside before with my 9x9 design and it worked just the same as when it had open view of the sky.

I am not sure what the heck the problem is. My server is running with 4gb of RAM dedicated to it, my internet connection is quite good, and I don't have any frame lag on the server or anything. I guess maybe I should do some testing in a singleplayer world to really see if it is a server issue, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

*Edit*

I opened up a new singleplayer Sky Factory world in creative mode, built one of the systems... and even one of them is not working. I really don't know what the hell the problem is, it seems to me like these magical crops are so very inconsistent. Literally there is nothing in the world except the system itself, (with a few "dead ones" laying around that are nothing but a cobblestone shell now). I haven't set up the MFR Harvester on this tester one, however I do have the planter. Not that either of those 2 machines should make a difference on growth times.

Last edited:
G

Greatsaga

Well, I have found that copying the "working" lilypads with MCedit and then pasting them in a new location I.E in a new system setup works fine. The thing I hate about the growth pulsars is that in order to get any decent growth effect, you must stack quite a few of them underneath the dirt, and what this leads to... is well, a not very pretty looking system. I'm trying to make a really nice looking Sky Factory, and there isn't a whole lot you can do with space when you have to have tons of blocks underneath the dirt. Not to mention, I want tons of magical crops, I am going to be making huge greenhouses just for magical crops, so crafting and placing all those growth pulsars is infeasible. What I am going to do from now on is, as long as I have the materials in survival (and thus can "throw" them away") I will go ahead and copy the working lilypads into new systems. It's note really a fix by any means, but at least it works.

Something tells me there is some weird metadata or something that for whatever reason isn't being set correctly when placing down the lilypads most of the time. Not really sure why I was able to get them to work once, and then never again. Which is extremely odd considering I have actually gotten them to work twice, once in a much older Sky Factory 2.4 map that I have since stopped playing and now in this one - but in neither of them have I been able to physically make a new working system with the lilypads - and then of course not even in a new world, which is the part that I really don't understand.

I may end up moving to other forms of growth like the Thaumcraft lamp of growth once I get farther along in Thaumcraft, just because the lilypads are indeed unreliable at this point. I have not been able to find any official mention that the lilypads of fertility were working incorrectly, one post I have found suggested another user was having problems, but the devs reassured them that it was indeed working fine and they just were not being patient enough since the tick rates were changed to constant time and such. Be that as it may, they are still working incorrectly, because I can lay down tons of lilypads around ONE magical crop, and it will still grow in normal time.

I've got four systems running fine currently, each housing about 80 or so crops (I built them inside a circular room around the edges, so it's not quite a 9x9 area for each, but close). And we are talking 80x4 lilypads of fertility, so obviously it isn't any problem with amount of lilypads either.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
The issue happened within the 2.4 update cycle when the xeno reliquary mod updated and I believe it was a config option that changed the lilypad's behaviour that caused them to stop working.

G

Greatsaga

The issue happened within the 2.4 update cycle when the xeno reliquary mod updated and I believe it was a config option that changed the lilypad's behaviour that caused them to stop working.

So does that mean there is a config option I can change to make them work again? But even so, why the hell would they randomly work twice in my Sky Factory endeavors if they are not supposed to?

*EDIT* So I found the config option seconds_between_growth_ticks = 47, changing that to 0 makes them grow insanely fast, so that is definitely overpowered. But the thing to note here... is that they worked... they worked completely fine. 50 or so lilypads even set at 47 seconds between growth ticks should be able to grow one crop at least within a few minutes. But I have literally sat there before for an hour to see if it finally grew, and nope. So I am really not even sure what is going on here.

I just changed it back to 47, and timed the growth of one crop surrounded by 48 lilypads of fertility. It fully grew in 1 minutes 40 second - however, with error so 100 seconds +- 47 given that I could have planted it either at the beginning of the 47 second cycle or at the end. So growth time range of 63-147 seconds.

I did some more testing. I built another growth area just the same (47 lilypads of fertility around one crop) and waited about 5 minutes. Never ticked past age 0. Then I changed it back to 0 seconds between growth ticks, and the previous one I built that was still working with 47 seconds was once again growing really really fast. Building a third setup while the seconds were set at 0 yielded another crop that grows really really fast. BUT the second system I built that wasn't working at 47 seconds is still not working, even with the tick rate at 0 seconds. I am going to test a little more, trying something like 20 seconds and building a setup with the config at that etc. and just see what happens. This is really not making any sense at all.

I also installed Sky Factory 2.3 and tried out the lilypads and they indeed seem to work completely fine, no problems at all in 2.3. So, yeah, definitely something that happened during the 2.4 update cycle.

*EDIT 2* After trying 15 seconds, the ones that were working were still working, and building a new one once again failed. Seems like having that setting on anything else than 0 screws everything up.

Last edited:
Reactions: UniZero

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
So does that mean there is a config option I can change to make them work again? But even so, why the hell would they randomly work twice in my Sky Factory endeavors if they are not supposed to?

*EDIT* So I found the config option seconds_between_growth_ticks = 47, changing that to 0 makes them grow insanely fast, so that is definitely overpowered. But the thing to note here... is that they worked... they worked completely fine. 50 or so lilypads even set at 47 seconds between growth ticks should be able to grow one crop at least within a few minutes. But I have literally sat there before for an hour to see if it finally grew, and nope. So I am really not even sure what is going on here.

I just changed it back to 47, and timed the growth of one crop surrounded by 48 lilypads of fertility. It fully grew in 1 minutes 40 second - however, with error so 100 seconds +- 47 given that I could have planted it either at the beginning of the 47 second cycle or at the end. So growth time range of 63-147 seconds.

I did some more testing. I built another growth area just the same (47 lilypads of fertility around one crop) and waited about 5 minutes. Never ticked past age 0. Then I changed it back to 0 seconds between growth ticks, and the previous one I built that was still working with 47 seconds was once again growing really really fast. Building a third setup while the seconds were set at 0 yielded another crop that grows really really fast. BUT the second system I built that wasn't working at 47 seconds is still not working, even with the tick rate at 0 seconds. I am going to test a little more, trying something like 20 seconds and building a setup with the config at that etc. and just see what happens. This is really not making any sense at all.

I also installed Sky Factory 2.3 and tried out the lilypads and they indeed seem to work completely fine, no problems at all in 2.3. So, yeah, definitely something that happened during the 2.4 update cycle.

*EDIT 2* After trying 15 seconds, the ones that were working were still working, and building a new one once again failed. Seems like having that setting on anything else than 0 screws everything up.

The lilypads work in project ozone 2 so I would grab that pack to check the config to see what the difference is.