Simple Question, need an answer.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
R

RadicalSilver

Dear FTB community,

I've played FTB back in the days, and im looking to get back into it. However, im a total 0 in the whole downloading creating modpacks etc. I always had a friend that knew all of that.
So because im getting back into it, i wanna do it slow and easy. Im interested in sustainability and solar panels in real life. So my question is the following:
Can i play REGULAR minecraft, and just throw a copple simple to use mods in it? im talking about regular minecraft with solar panels, and tools/armor to power up and use. maybe even a little bit more. Not looking for a modpack with 50k mods in it.
Thanks for helping :) have a great day!
(btw i didn't see a place to post about a question like this sorry if placed wrong!!)

greats,

absoluut noob in this area, RadicalSilver.

efeefeefe

Jul 29, 2019
If you just want solar panels as far as i know, it comes from mods like
EU type power generation: Industrial Craft, Industrial Craft 2
RF type power generation: Environmental Tech, Ender IO, Mekanism,

also there are some addons like Compact Solars:
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/compact-solars

You can also use mystcraft mod and create a dimension that always day (with zenith, zero lenth, normal sun modifiers) or couple rotating suns in it. I know having more suns create more power for some mods like ender io's solar panels.

Also if you are interested any of waterwheels, windmills, thermoelectric generators... Check Immersive Engineering too.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'd say for maximum content with minimum of mods, use Immersive Engineering and Mekanism. You might also like Forestry for farms, bees and trees. Build a correct setup and you'll get a self sustaining system.

R

RadicalSilver

First, thanks for your reply's guys!
I'm not really looking for maximum content with minimum mods tho, im just looking for some mods that are easy to understand, but a lot of fun such as solar panels.
Furthermore, im gonna watch some tutorials about the industrial 1 and 2. If i like it, i just download them so it's still a bit like regular minecraft, i don't need a complete moded world with 50k items.
Last question xD --> Can i just choos some mods and put them together in a regular minecraft mod? or do i only choos one like industrial craft? Or can i pick Industrial craft 1 and 2, and solar panel mod, and put them together in a world?
sorry, i don't have a lot of knowledge of this proces anymore.
enjoy your day :)

R

RadicalSilver

Comming back again xD just took a look at environmental tech mod, really cool im interested in those mods that are about generating natural power! Playing regular minecraft with such mods, generating power and have some awesome tools and/or armor to use the power for is what im kinda looking for! I might just take environmental tech, and industrialcraft but don't make factorys with industrialcraft, but just use the solar panel industry of industrialcraft. No idea where to donwload and how to put them together or anything tho :(

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
The toys tend to come with or be add-ons for the big, complicated tech mods. I personally would start with Minecraft 1.12.2, the latest version of forge, Ender IO, JEI, and Quark. But that's just me. Check out a few of the latest tech mod videos to see which one interests you the most. With Minecraft's new recipe book button, you might even be able to leave out JEI. Quark adds a lot of quality of life tweaks, but holds to an expanded vanilla feel for additional content, so I highly recommend it.

R

RadicalSilver

thanks for your reply. Ill give it a go, is it as simple as selecting the mods you like, put'em in one world and enjoy them? And i just wondered, the /sethome and /home etc. those commands are bukket plugin but are they standart or do i also have to select that plugin into the world?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
First, thanks for your reply's guys!
I'm not really looking for maximum content with minimum mods tho, im just looking for some mods that are easy to understand, but a lot of fun such as solar panels.
Furthermore, im gonna watch some tutorials about the industrial 1 and 2. If i like it, i just download them so it's still a bit like regular minecraft, i don't need a complete moded world with 50k items.
Last question xD --> Can i just choos some mods and put them together in a regular minecraft mod? or do i only choos one like industrial craft? Or can i pick Industrial craft 1 and 2, and solar panel mod, and put them together in a world?
sorry, i don't have a lot of knowledge of this proces anymore.
enjoy your day :)

If you use the Twitch loader* putting together packs is extremely simple... Once registered with Twitch (you have to configure your Mojang User ID/Password into the twitch account... Mojang wants authentication to be done that way) you can create a "game profile" that includes the version of Minecraft you want, the version(s) of Forge that work with that MC version and RAM allocation. After that you just tell the profile which mods you want to add from a list of all the mods for that version. NOTE: You still have to test for mod compatibility as some don't work well with others.

I'll look around and see if I can find one of my posts describing how to build a custom profile... several others have posted them as well.

Another thought, if you want to catch up to the latest modded MC versions, is to download something like Direwolf20's newest pack. It comes with the benefit of a current "Let's Play" YouTube series as well as individual mod spotlights, many of which have been updated to reflect recent changes in the mods. Direwolf also makes his packs with as few config changes as possible, so everything works as close to what the Dev had in mind when the mod was written. After playing with that pack you might have a better idea what you might want to add to your own pack.

*FYI: FtB partnered with Curse about 4 years ago... This gave us access to the Curse mod library which is maintained to be Malware free and is also the largest single source of mods. Curse was later purchased by Twitch who now maintains the mod library.

Last edited:
R

RadicalSilver

Ah i see, thanks for explaining. Ill search for a video or post on how to start up, and watch for one of the newest direwolf20 packs that look interesting indeed. If im not satisfied ill find a vid on how to mix your own mods xD. btw i just searched on the twitch app on ftb mods but 'environmental tech' wasn't between them (its a suggestion from the first reply). Anyway, thanks bro.
Enjoy your day :)

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
I'm not familiar with the bukkit plugin stuff, but I think FTBUtils replicates some of that for forge based packs. It also has chunk claiming and chunk loading functions. There are some other mods that add server admin tools as well, but I've never even played on a server, so I can't really help you there.

R

RadicalSilver

ah alright, np. I did actually just find out tho, that i can create own profile, pick the last minecraft version (1.12.2), and then choose my own mods that i want, HERE i WILL find environmental tech for example. If somebody is familiar with creating your own profile/world i wonder the following: do i just pick mods, donwload them and play in the world or is there some other extra downloading involved if you pick multiple mods you like yourself.

R

RadicalSilver

Hey, i think/hope I'm almost ready to start playing xD so i just created my own profile and chose some mods: Environmental Tech, IndustrialCraft, Iron backpacks, Iron chests. I think mods crashed into eachother because i got the following problem message when loading/starting --> The game crashed whilst there was a severe problem during mod loading that has caused the game to fail
Error: net.minecraftforge.fml.common.LoaderExceptionModCrash: Caught exception from IndustrialCraft 2 (ic2)
anyone has experiënce with this?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Here is the procedure to adding/disabling mods to a pack... I couldn't find the whole procedure as my post history seems to have been truncated to about a year's worth.

Creating a new profile should be straightforward...Editing mods not so much.

First, you have to "unlock" the pack.

Do this by right-clicking on the downloaded pack's icon, anywhere except the "Play" button.

Click the "View Profile" selection on the menu. This will bring you to a page showing individual mods in the pack.

Click the "Ellipses" [...] button in the upper right corner and select "Profile Options".

In that page uncheck the "Locked" box to enable the addition/removal of mods.

On this screen you can also uncheck "Memory Settings" if you want to customize your Ram Allocation without it resetting every time you start the launcher. You can also select if you only want to be notified about "Released" versions of the pack or be able to access "Beta" versions as well.

A caveat or two:
1) When you add mods to a pack and then a pack update occurs you will have to manually update the mods you added. On the plus side they won't be deleted.

2) Disable mods if you don't want to load them. Don't delete them because the last time I deleted a mod it was added right back in on the next update... Disabling them does replace them when updating but it keeps them marked as "disabled".

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Try going back a couple forge versions. You can change it in the profile options. Occasionally a forge update is bugged, sometimes it breaks mods requiring the mod to update. Welcome to the joys of pack dev. Praise the folks who do this for the rest of us. And be thankful you are not trying this in MC1.7.10 or earlier.

R

RadicalSilver

sooo.. I didn't have to disable any mods, i changed back 2 forge versions, now it works I think. gonna play later today in normal survival and if everything works, cuz all mods are in it i checked in creative, then i can go ahead and enjoy myself. Although i do wonder, what is the point of environmental tech, if there are no tools or items to power up with RF, to use the power for you generate???? i searched for a mod with RF based tools but RFtools is a different mod that makes things complicated, not what i want. I guess no mods that add more tools for RF/EU?

have a great day my sir's and sirini's :)

Last edited:
R

RadicalSilver

Thanks for all the help guys, im just gonna take the list of direwolf 1.12, take all the mods that are in it that i like so i dont get the unneccesary mods i don't like in it.
:) goodbye my friends, enjoy your day.

Last edited: