Simple quarry setup

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WauloK

Jul 29, 2019
What do you think of this as an easily-powered quarry? :)

SimpleQuarry_zps99f2fe34.png

I have an Ender Tank connected to a Lava Generator which generates energy for my Stirling Engine to power the quarry. Seems simple enough!

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
oh man, one stirling? that's going to take forever on a quarry that size. why not string a few more of those lava gens together and mainline the power straight to the quarry. no need to run a BC engine between.

Reactions: RedBoss and WauloK

WauloK

Jul 29, 2019
You can pipe lava directly into the quarry? I did not know that!
As for time... well I have plenty of that. I'm not in a hurry to mine out my Mystcraft world, but could put another engine on it or two. Just concerned if the Ender Chest can keep up with the ores :)

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
nono, don't pipe lava to the quarry.

the lava gens that you're using. use another one or two of them, and hook the redstone energy conduit directly to it. or set the gens directly next to the quarry for max speed if you can't make higher tier energy conduits yet. with quarries, more power = faster, to a certain point. you're far below that point though.

you've got a decent, basic setup going. just keep refining it, trying new methods, and see what will increase your speed/yield.

Reactions: WauloK

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Put it on top of a Twilight forest hollow hill, otherwise you are better off just mining manually tbh. Quarries are 99 percent junk. If you silk touch a bunch of redstone ore you can pulververize it to get stuff that lets you triple your ores.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Ehm, I don't get it. Why not just make some Magmatic Dynamos?

This was what I was thinking. 2-3 magmatics kept full with ender tank hooked up to the quarry by leadstone pipes would be much more efficient for early game quarrying

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Call me daft, but has there been a change in mechanics recently? I thought that the generators produced RF, and conduits converted RF to MJ. Why is the sterling engine needed? Also, doesn't the sterling engine still run on burnables?

I could just be REALLY out of touch with standard BC stuff.

DepressivesBrot

Jul 29, 2019
Just concerned if the Ender Chest can keep up with the ores :)
It's not a limitation of the chest, it's a matter of how fast you extract the stuff on the other side. Two itemducts in stack mode should be able to keep up with the full throughput a standard quarry can achieve, since you already seem to be voiding the junk you might even get away with one (I'd watch that a while to make sure however). After that it's just a matter of big enough buffers and/or fast enough processing

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I use something very similar except I use a tesseract, it makes life so much easier. The corresponding tesseract on the other end is hooked up to my base's main power supply and a chest with an import bus attached. Once set, it needs no input from me until it hits bedrock.

2014-04-02_02.46.59.png

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Partly. it's also a workaround because the quarry won't eject into itemducts and I couldn't get transport pipes to connect to the tesseract for some weird reason.

WauloK

Jul 29, 2019
Ah ok. Cool.
Someone told me it's impossible to connect Lava Generators to Stirling Engines but it seems to work ok for me.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is the diamond chest used as a buffer?
They are probably needed to to TE3s intended incompatibility with BC pipes.

What I don't understand though is why have all these pipes and stuff on the quarry end at all? Tesseract for power(and a few conduits now ofc), Enderchest for items and that is all on the Quarry side. Much easier to move the quarry that way. Then all the other handling is dealt with back home at base.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
it should work, but if you use lava then surely magmatic engines would do the same job but better?

WauloK

Jul 29, 2019
They are probably needed to to TE3s intended incompatibility with BC pipes.

What I don't understand though is why have all these pipes and stuff on the quarry end at all? Tesseract for power(and a few conduits now ofc), Enderchest for items and that is all on the Quarry side. Much easier to move the quarry that way. Then all the other handling is dealt with back home at base.
It's not better to filter at the quarry end?[DOUBLEPOST=1396404799][/DOUBLEPOST]
it should work, but if you use lava then surely magmatic engines would do the same job but better?
Quite possibly. I didn't know they'd power it either, but I had a Lava Generator so tested it :)