Simple Early Power Gen DW20 1.12.2

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been stuck a little bit with my playthrough of my DW20 pack.
I'm currently at the point where I need more power, my usual stick would be ender tank + pump in nether and a bunch of Magmatic Dynamo's. But thats boring doing the same thing constantly to be honest.
I tried with a Lava Factory Controller + Magmatic Dynamo(basic) as a self contained system, problem being i can't figure out the proper configuration for it.
No matter what i try I don't get a overflow of power, which would be needed. One configuration that does seem to work is having a Magmatic Dynamo(Resonant) + 1 Auxiliary Transmission coil and 3 Fuel Catalyzer's.

Does any one have a configuration that works nicely with this (probably stupid) idea of mine?

Ofcourse any other suggestions are welcome, this is aimed at early/mid game, but should also be ready for late game really.

Bit of a peak at what i build:
L8qETvQ.jpg
It uses mechanical users to pick up the lava, item ducts with basic servo's and filet on the top one for extrating lava buckets.
Gets inserted into another mechanical user that right clicks it on the Magmetic Dynamo below, and empty bucket gets extracted.
Tried using fluid nodes(sadly didnt work) so this was the best next thing i could come up with, without the lava being replaced by stone... cobble, or any other block really....

Quick Edit:
The Magmetic Dynamo you see at the construction is a basic one, the power evens out, uses 150k to gen the lava, gens around 180-ish is my guess it got used faster then i could see.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
You might want to do what I did. I found some oil and I ran it through the fractionating still twice to get refined fuel which works is a really reliable source in a compression Dynamo. I've made my way up to a turbine in mechanism powered by a big reactor. When I get home from work I could post pictures of my setup

Reactions: Plainy
E

Eriam

I like playing with farms and such so early game I setup a self-sustaining tree farm that feeds charcoal to generate power. Then we setup an Arboreal Extractor and now have added bio-fuel with advanced generators. My friend is the power freak though, I just find the raw materials. We're likely on to lava next.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
You can do a Heated Redstone generator setup.

First, get a red orchid and use a garden cloche to make redstone from the red orchid. You will need a silk touch pick to get redstone ore to grow the red orchid. Next, get a Lava Fabricator. It makes lava when given power. Pipe the redstone and the lava into a heated redstone generator along with lava.

I find that 3 cloches is enough to run a generator with 4 speed upgrades constantly. It makes 800 rf/t. That is enough to run the Cloches and the Lava Fabricator with about 300-350 rf/t excess power.

Last edited:

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
So I've been stuck a little bit with my playthrough of my DW20 pack.

Might I suggest you do what Dire did to start in his let's play?

I use silk touch on my pick, so I set up a crusher from AA to up my coal ore ratio, ran it through a pulverizer, magma crucible, and two fractioning stills.

Without augments, that could keep up with two dynamos using the refined, and another dynamo using the bio fuel crated by another magma crucible that used the secondary output of the tar. Saved up all the sulfur I got to make gunpowder because... well.. scientific reasons.. yeah...

With some augments in the dynamos, I was getting about 1k RF/t was still coming out with a little refined fuel, and a lot of bio-fuel (could have easily set up another dynamo for that one)

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
So currently it seems my best option is the Refined Fuel one it seems the most profitable, and probably the best for expanding in the future.
Currently looking at a compression dynamo to see how quick it processes the fuel... honestly this fuel lasts...
This is with a basic one set up at the moment, and running around 10 minutes now, and well over the 200k rf stored.
Now to make this on my server and getting a silk touch upgrade for my drill.

Also 1 bucket full = 2 million RF... more than enough early game.

quick edit:
A8BE4mx.png

Currently in startup phase, thence the almost full cell, it should start produce energy soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cptqrk

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Arboreal Extractors are great for early game, self-sustaining, no maintenance power. It's possible to set up 8 on the base of a 2x2 spruce, which produces way more fuel than I expected. Sending the resin created in processing over to Steam Dynamos and the actual fuel to Compression Dynamos. After setup, it's a zero input system providing more than adequate passive power, but as with most passive systems, it's best to make sure you have a buffer caching the power for times of high use.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
S

Suranis

Easy early power is Immersive Engineering's Windmills.

If you want some serious power the use 2 cloches, one making Melons sent to a sawmill to slice them up, and the other making pumpkins which are sent to a level 1 crafter to make seeds. Then send results to an IE Fermenter and IE Squeeser, which sends their respective output to an IE Refinery, which then sends the resulting biodiezel to an IE Diesel Generator. That set up can keep 2 Diesel engines running pretty much indefinitely, and its no slouch at 4096RF/T per engine. I actually pipe my diesel into and out of a storage tank before getting to the engines, but its not really needed.

You need a fair amount of steel to do make the engines, but they are big chunky multblocks, and pretty fun to set up. Yes, I'm a bit of a fan of IE, but you wanted alternitives, so :D

Last edited:

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
Arboreal Extractors are great for early game, self-sustaining, no maintenance power. It's possible to set up 8 on the base of a 2x2 spruce, which produces way more fuel than I expected. Sending the resin created in processing over to Steam Dynamos and the actual fuel to Compression Dynamos. After setup, it's a zero input system providing more than adequate passive power, but as with most passive systems, it's best to make sure you have a buffer caching the power for times of high use.

This i might aswell try too, seems like a fun challenge.

Easy early power is Immersive Engineering's Windmills.

If you want some serious power the use 2 cloches, one making Melons sent to a sawmill to slice them up, and the other making pumpkins which are sent to a level 1 crafter to make seeds. Then send results to an IE Fermenter and IE Squeeser, which sends their respective output to an IE Refinery, which then sends the resulting biodiezel to an IE Diesel Generator. That set up can keep 2 Diesel engines running pretty much indefinitely, and its no slouch at 4096RF/T per engine. I actually pipe my diesel into and out of a storage tank before getting to the engines, but its not really needed.

You need a fair amount of steel to do make the engines, but they are big chunky multblocks, and pretty fun to set up. Yes, I'm a bit of a fan of IE, but you wanted alternitives, so :D

Im a fan of IE as well to a certain extend I should add.
Most likely ill try out the setup and see how it does in a Creative world first, and i dont actually have a real base at the moment so space is limited.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
To come back at this, holy crap its actually self contained!
Honestly I do think this is only possible because of the 75% of Rosin((so not resin! :) )the part about the steam dynamo confused me for a long time b4 i figured it out).
In about 10-15min it has generated nearly 1 million RF, this is with the hardend machines (dynamo's and still) the pipes are currently backlogged in my test world with resin fluid.
Possibly i will increase the Still to a Reinforced level with extra horse power, meaning 2 hardened steam dynamos are needed at least to keep it completely self contained.

Besides the extra utilities stuff for the water supply this will be doable, and i think even more efficient than what i have currently running with the double coal processing.

edit: during typing of above it generated almost another 1mil rf... this works for me!

SIt2oCj.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Psychicash

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Besides the extra utilities stuff for the water supply this will be doable, and i think even more efficient than what i have currently running with the double coal processing.

Extra Utilities for water? Why? The Aquious Accumulator pumps out a fair bit of water from only two source blocks. Need more? Set up two.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
Nope! Rosin!

Nice setup though - I definitely need to borrow this!

Sure go ahead, do keep in mind to get it going you'd have to be atleast patient.
While the Rosin/Resin(does it really matter what we call it?) does generate, as soon when you try to speed things up(upgrades to Reinforced).
You will run out of Rosin/Resin at some point, which could mean that the Steam Dynamo runs out of power.
Had this happen twice now, my solution just a simple drawer with some coal in it to keep it going.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Sure go ahead, do keep in mind to get it going you'd have to be atleast patient.
While the Rosin/Resin(does it really matter what we call it?) does generate, as soon when you try to speed things up(upgrades to Reinforced).
You will run out of Rosin/Resin at some point, which could mean that the Steam Dynamo runs out of power.
Had this happen twice now, my solution just a simple drawer with some coal in it to keep it going.
Ah, that's a handy tip, thank you! And its just because I've got that sort of chemist brain, I fixate on the names of things, don't mind me :) Rosin is a particular material, its a form of resin; resin is a more general term that applies to a bunch of things, but its rosin that the tree thingy generates, because its that particular plant-derived material. <--(this is how my brain goes)

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Rosin/Resin(does it really matter what we call it?)

Yes, because they are two different things, both IRL and in game. (so this is not a case of tomáto/tomàto)
Resin is the stuff you get from tree's. Rosin is the muck that is left over after processing the resin. Resin is turned into tree-oil, Rosin can be used as solid fuel, or slime-ball substitute. (EDIT: I'm talking about in-game here, of course)

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yes, because they are two different things, both IRL and in game. (so this is not a case of tomáto/tomàto)
Resin is the stuff you get from tree's. Rosin is the muck that is left over after processing the resin. Resin is turned into tree-oil, Rosin can be used as solid fuel, or slime-ball substitute.

Rosin is also used on violin/celli/viola/stand-up bass bows to make them 'grab' the string and produce sound.

Mooseman991

Sep 24, 2019
It's no crazy power setup, but early game I make a vanilla chicken farm. Then feed the eggs through an auto crafter into a culinary generator, its plenty to power a small base until you're ready to get into something major!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It's no crazy power setup, but early game I make a vanilla chicken farm. Then feed the eggs through an auto crafter into a culinary generator, its plenty to power a small base until you're ready to get into something major!
Huh... simple but effective. I like that!