Silly mod, Abstract Power Generation!

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
Impossible- as the unloaded block won't change/do anything as stuff doesn't run when its unloaded.

Actually, all it needs to do is periodically record the current world time, then, when the chunk is loaded from disk, compare the current and stored times, and create power based on the difference (assuming it passes a certain threshold).

Or even only record the current time when saving the chunk, to be slightly more efficient.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, for the younger members of the community, this might send the wrong message and potentially influence them for the worse. I wouldn't implement these.

Well instead of masocist we can call it blooper. Instead of nudist, we can call it unincombered. Youth are already corrupted anyways :)

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Well instead of masocist we can call it blooper. Instead of nudist, we can call it unincombered. Youth are already corrupted anyways :)
Exactly, I know 10 year olds who know the female body front back and sideways, MALE 10 YEAR OLDS!!!

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly, I know 10 year olds who know the female body front back and sideways, MALE 10 YEAR OLDS!!!

Honestly, I knew the difference in anatomy at that age too (earlier really). Its not that big of a deal. The context is different at that age. People are reacting over nothing. Its like when you hear those teen idols singing about love when they dont have the slightest clue.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I knew the difference in anatomy at that age too (earlier really). Its not that big of a deal. The context is different at that age. People are reacting over nothing. Its like when you hear those teen idols singing about love when they dont have the slightest clue.
Oh no, I mean they REALLY know about women's bodies...

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Another idea: Egg boiler. Multiblock(?) structure that generates power when eggs are placed in its center. Put chickens in it for passive power generation. How the chickens stay unharmed whereas the eggs are boiled, remains a mystery.

You can also have the opposite of the initial generator and have a Glare Generator. Generates power from your intense stare, but it requires you to have the cursor hover over it to work.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Impossible- as the unloaded block won't change/do anything as stuff doesn't run when its unloaded.
As a programmer I took your "impossible" claim personally :p

I think its possible. While the block is ticking, it sets itself a datestamp (to 'now'). When it loads into existence, it accumulates power from "now" until "last stamp". If you're always near it, the stamp will always be equal to now, and it doesn't accumulate power.

I'm almost certain something there made sense...[DOUBLEPOST=1391781484][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually, all it needs to do is periodically record the current world time, then, when the chunk is loaded from disk, compare the current and stored times, and create power based on the difference (assuming it passes a certain threshold).

Or even only record the current time when saving the chunk, to be slightly more efficient.
I just realized I accidentally stole your idea. I should read entire threads before spouting my theories.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Much more efficient this way.

Just wait for the 'chunk unloaded' event. Record the current time before its saved.
Then the next time the block ticks will be when its loaded.. so compare stored time with the current time and generate power accordingly. Then clear the stored time and do nothing until the next chunk unloaded event.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the server is shut off for a day or 2

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
ok, ok- I take part of that claim back.
(though at the time of writing I assumed said genny would constantly produce power, not store it for later use)

We need a way to harness the power of explosions.
Like in-world explosions- a creeper/TNT/Nuke must be sat on the genny to produce power.​

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
ok, ok- I take part of that claim back.
(though at the time of writing I assumed said genny would constantly produce power, not store it for later use)

We need a way to harness the power of explosions.
Like in-world explosions- a creeper/TNT/Nuke must be sat on the genny to produce power.​
You mean like Atomic Science does with it's Fulmination Generator? Doesn't work on some kinds of explosions(things classified as WoMD don't generate power and tend to still kill you), and it never worked well with whole grams of antimatter in my tests(destroyed the water without generating power, go figure!), but still, it's pretty cool.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Generator that runs off snowballs. Downside is it must be in a snow biome, if in a temperate or hot it overheats and explodes in a glorious manner.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Generator that runs off snowballs. Downside is it must be in a snow biome, if in a temperate or hot it overheats and explodes in a glorious manner.
That's actually pretty easy to automate with MFR, since its weather collector will gather snowballs during a snow squall. Now, if it required snow blocks, and only worked in the nether...

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
That's actually pretty easy to automate with MFR, since its weather collector will gather snowballs during a snow squall. Now, if it required snow blocks, and only worked in the nether...

Then you would use a lovely little machine from TE?