Silk Touch Book in Dungeon

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
Long story short, I found a Silk Touch book in a Dungeon. It was very unexpected because I don't have very much resources ATM. What should I do with it?

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
keep it stored away for a while, then use it on a diamond/iron pick, i believe you need an anvil for books
EDIT: advanced diamond drill works too :)

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
This ^^. If you don't have an advanced diamond drill, then save it. Put it in a very secure place, that explosions and other such hazards can't reach it.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't spend it on an Advanced Diamond Drill. Someday they won't be enchantable anymore. Instead, get yourself an Elemental Pickaxe from Thaumcraft and put Silk Touch and Repair on it.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't spend it on an Advanced Diamond Drill. Someday they won't be enchantable anymore. Instead, get yourself an Elemental Pickaxe from Thaumcraft and put Silk Touch and Repair on it.

Put efficiency on that and you will never need another digging tool again. Picks with enchants will always be as good if not better than a drill. I run with a diamond pick axe with repair, fortune, and efficiency, unbreaking before repair came along. I have a silk touch pick in my bags if needed but I usually just fortune everything cause I am to lazy. You do have to carry a shovel around with you if you dont have a wand of excavation...

I am working on a wand with charging, treasure and efficiency on it now to see if it is better.

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
I was debating if I wanted it on a drill, but then I thought HeffronCM's suggestion was better. Drills might not be enchantable in the future. Putting enchants on it is an exploit itself. Elemental Pickaxe it is!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That beats me. All I've found are 2 aqua affinity level 1 books. Booring :D

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
OK, hardly touch enchanting really, so have no idea about most of the enchants out there :D

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
I was debating if I wanted it on a drill, but then I thought HeffronCM's suggestion was better. Drills might not be enchantable in the future. Putting enchants on it is an exploit itself. Elemental Pickaxe it is!
When you can't enchant drills anymore, you won't lose the enchanted drill.
The only way to put it on a drill is with a book, whereas with picks you can get Silk Touch easily.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
While it is possible now it doesn't make it less of an exploit. You're only cheating yourself if you do it, you might as well be in creative mode.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
It's a sandbox game, use your own definition of cheating :p
In FTB I would do things I would never do in Vanilla (like sand gens for example) which I consider cheating just because pretty much anything in FTB could be considered an exploit if it works using several mods; there are ways to dupe loads of items through oversights from mod authors. Most of them I wouldn't use, but something like making a pick Silk Touch seems pretty minor.

Phycoz

Jul 29, 2019
Put it on a tool with Repair and Unbreaking if you can manage one. I have one, and after a day of mining it's still at 100% durability.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with Repair is that it hurts the aura a fair bit from extensive use.
This is fine if you mine in a Mystcraft age or something, but if you mine to near your house you can end up with a ton of Flux

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with Repair is that it hurts the aura a fair bit from extensive use.
This is fine if you mine in a Mystcraft age or something, but if you mine to near your house you can end up with a ton of Flux

Flux containment is a major mechanic to the mod and quite a lot of fun. We have the basic tools to deal with the worst of it. I'm looking forward to more advanced flux-related blocks and items.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Before anyone uses a book to put Repair on their diamond stuff I want to inform you that it doesn't work on anything else but Thaumcraft equipment.

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
I really do like having Wisps fly around my house, so I may get a ton of XP and try to get Repair on a book. Also, the Mutatio aspect can be found on Wispy Essence, so yeah. I know Mossy Cobblestone now has Mutatio, but that is hard to obtain. I forgot where the dungeon was :(.

On an unrelated note, does putting Protection on an Electrical Jetpack do anything? Protection either multiplies the protection rate on armor, which would render Protection on a Jetpack useless because it has no prior protection whatsoever, or, Protection adds protection onto the item, making an Electrical Jetpack with Protection more protective then before. That might be hard to understand, but if you guys do understand, then, well, you know what to do. Answer! :)