Should My PC Be Getting More than ~30fps on Direwolf20!?!?!?

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

aran09

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
Should My PC Be Getting More than ~30fps on Direwolf20!?!?!?
Launcher Version:
v1.4.8
Modpack:
Direwold20
Modpack Version:
v1.0.23
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
These are my current specs
AMD A8 7650K Quad Core Processor / CPU running at 4.2GHz! 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM AMD RADEON R7 Graphics 1TB Hard Drive MSI A68HM "Grenade" uATX Motherboard
I feel i should be getting more fps any tips or help appreciated
Thanks

kinomora

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure that Java is using the Radeon Graphics card? I had an issue with switchable graphics when I first got my laptop, though that's because it has an Intel processor with Intel HD Graphics as the default graphics processor. Make sure that you have AMD Catalyst Control Center installed and that Java.exe and Javaw.exe are set to "High Performance" mode by default.
Another suggestion is to increase the process priority of java. You do this in the "Details" tab of Task Manager (ctrl + shift + esc to open TM), sort by Memory usage and Javaw.exe should be at the top (the bigger one), so long as the game is actually running. Right-click it and hover over the Set Priority extension menu and select "High Priority". Don't select "Real Time" as that will not allow enough processing power to be devoted to running the rest of your computer, such as the OS and other things and will severely lag the entire computer. You'll get a small warning popup saying that it might affect performance but just click "Change Priority". Doing this alone doubled my FPS in non-intensive areas.

Querdenker_9

Jul 29, 2019
I have the same problem here (quite similar hardware) but I'm getting only 10FPS and my switchable graphics are properly set... I guess it takes some power -.-

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Querdenker_9

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to burst your bubble. Modded Minecraft eats ubercomputers for breakfast and no amount of fiddling with gpu settings is going to change that. I cant muster up much sympathy for you though, 30fps is perfectly playable.
Agree with that... You could try to create a less resource intensive modpack for yourself

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree with the last two posts. You should be getting more fps. Are you using fastcraft and/or optifine? try setting your chunks to 8 or so.

I play resonant rise and get 40-45fps with 200+ mods loaded. My cpu is a 2008 vintage intel Q9400, yours outperforms mine in single thread performance. We also run the same amount of ram. Which R7 are you running? The only other hardware related thing I can think of is maybe it's a really low spec one. I've got a midrange nvidia 700 series.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Something else must be wrong. My system is about 3 years old but it is a 3.4 GHz intel system and I get about 60 fps in single player with the default DW20 pack. So the one thing I haven't seen here is what java version are you using, which launcher (FTB or Curse Voice) and what java settings you are using? Maybe you could pastebin a console log and link it here?

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah i mean 4,2ghz 8 RAM
And a Nice Graphik card There has to be something wrong otherwise if have 7-10 fps in ftb lite instead of 200-300

kinomora

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, does your FTB have "use java optimization arguments" checked in the launcher settings? That can also affect FPS depending on certain computers.