Windows 8 or 7

• Windows 8

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 31 68.9%

• Total voters

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I recently bought a laptop with Windows 8, but I hated it so much that I installed Windows 7 on it.
to me Windows 8 is like Windows Vista, it's Microsoft trying to go a different direction with their OS, and it's just a half-arsed step which makes me not want to use that OS.
so in my opinion, I'd go for Windows 7... BUT this isn't about me
seeing as your friend is building a computer (probably for himself) he should choose what he wants to use, which would be Windows 7

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
I recently bought a laptop with Windows 8, but I hated it so much that I installed Windows 7 on it.
to me Windows 8 is like Windows Vista, it's Microsoft trying to go a different direction with their OS, and it's just a half-arsed step which makes me not want to use that OS.
so in my opinion, I'd go for Windows 7... BUT this isn't about me
seeing as your friend is building a computer (probably for himself) he should choose what he wants to use, which would be Windows 7

ClassicShell makes 8 look like 7 btw. (till 8.1 anyway)

Reactions: IMarvinTPA

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
ClassicShell makes 8 look like 7 btw. (till 8.1 anyway)

I know, before I had Windows 7 installed onto it I tried some tweaking programs like that, but I just didn't like it, and in my opinion if I had to do so much work to make Windows 8 a bit more bearable to use, then it's not an OS that's good enough in my opinion

Dolinmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I personally love windows 8. It's nice that i can cold boot my computer in 4 seconds. 8 is in many ways just faster. It does have it's quirks, but then what operating system doesn't when it is first released. I would run 8 personally so that you know you are future proofed. there are many ways to make 8 also look like 7, so if that's your one hang up, that is easily fixed.

Reactions: YX33A and Lawbroken

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
My PC still runs on Windows XP, though it is pretty damn old. Luckily my dad has the technical know-how to upgrade it, which is cheaper than buying a new one, though it means I can't get a newer OS without paying whatever extortionate amount of money it happens to be, and without backing everything up on an external hard drive. It'll be a sad day when games stop supporting windows XP :(

Vivacity

Jul 29, 2019
If he's using it for Gaming Windows 8 would be a better choice now and in the future. In general performance will be slightly better then 7 but there also DirectX 11.1 which is exclusive to 8. Battlefield 4 already takes advantage of it and I'm sure more games will in the future.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Pakman3999

Jul 29, 2019
Use windows 7, widows 8 is still buggy as shit and alot of stuff dosn't work for it, and he could always upgrade later

titanblade828

Jul 29, 2019
as a user of both windows operating systems I would go with the 64bit windows 7 as there are still a few bugs with windows 8 ( ie drivers being compatible )

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
If it was me, I would probably use 8 because the newer system is usually more future proof.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
If it was me, I would probably use 8 because the newer system is usually more future proof.
thats where you would be wrong on w8.
theres lots of reports that windows 9 is coming out q4 2014 or q1 2015
windows 8 is the new vista for microsoft and they need to release a new 7 to get back all the money they lost.

Reactions: kaovalin

Lordtazou

Jul 29, 2019
Lol, Mint linux all the way... xD

I use windows 7. Windows 8 seems to have performance issues at times with games although sometimes performs better for some. Windows 8 seems to be better optimized to handle touch screen computers but has some handy options for mouse users.

Honestly though, it really depends on your preference and whether or not your brave enough to try it.

thats where you would be wrong on w8.
theres lots of reports that windows 9 is coming out q4 2014 or q1 2015
windows 8 is the new vista for microsoft and they need to release a new 7 to get back all the money they lost.

Where are you getting your information sir? I would really like to see these "Reports" you speak of for "Windows 9". Those reports are for "Proof Of Concept" by the way for an Windows 9 Beta. It is windows 8 with more features... And whether or not they lost money is on them and will not make up for the loss of funds from looking at the charts.

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I have windows 7 on my netbook. Can barely get 20 fps on vanilla Minecraft. I put lubuntu on it, now I can get 40 fps on FTB Monster.

Faentomet

Jul 29, 2019
Windows 8.
Get Start8 or something similar if you cant stand metro and cant be bothered to learn it.

The differences in UI (when using Start8) are minor at best.
Performancewise it's slightly better.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Windows 8.
Get Start8 or something similar if you cant stand metro and cant be bothered to learn it.

The differences in UI (when using Start8) are minor at best.
Performancewise it's slightly better.
You can just set up win-8 to boot straight to the desktop instead of the metro screen. Unless Start8 has extra features, somehow I doubt it's got core coding in Win-8 beat.

And I second the fast cold boot statement. After using computers that take minutes to start up, the fact that from a cold boot it takes 5 seconds to start up fully and ask for my password, I will never go back to Win-7.