Windows 8 or 7

• Windows 8

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 31 68.9%

• Total voters

Airbornehurdle

Jul 29, 2019
So my friend said that he is building a new PC and he is planning for the graphics cars and etc but he has a problem. He and his brother have a fight over which Windows he is would put in his custom PC. One is Windows 7 which is my friend and Windows 8 which is my friend's brother. I had to stop the fight which was to tell you guys. I am not good with custom PC because I'm a gaming laptop person but which windows should you choose?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
If your computer has a touch screen (i.e. is a tablet), use Windows 8. Otherwise, Windows 7.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I personally use Windows 8, I know that people may hate the Metro look, but to be honest, everything I do on my computer does feel more fluid now.

Reactions: trajing and Hambeau

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Having skipped Windows 7 and gone from -Vista to -8 I don't see much of a difference between -7 and -8.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
If your computer has a touch screen (i.e. is a tablet), use Windows 8. Otherwise, Windows 7.

Why?

I run Windows 8 over 7.
Also testing between 7 and 8 show that 8 is better for gaming so far.

Oh also if you were saying this due to the whole touch pad look you can get classicshell that gives you a start bar and stuff back like windows 7 ;)

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Some people like Windows 8, some people don't. The 8.1 update coming next month will fix a lot of 8's shortcomings, so it really comes down to a matter of opinion.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Windows 7 is an upgrade from Windows 8.

Same deal with how Windows XP was an upgrade from Windows Vista.

Just FYI. DirectX 11.2 will only be for Windows 8(.1) and they are cutting windows 7 out. They will also be using the same DirectX for Xbox One.

The same goes with any old OS. They stop supporting it in the long run.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Honestly, unless his brother will also be using the computer, it's up to your friend. If he prefers 7, he should install 7, no matter what his brother thinks. That's it.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
Just FYI. DirectX 11.2 will only be for Windows 8(.1) and they are cutting windows 7 out. They will also be using the same DirectX for Xbox One.

The same goes with any old OS. They stop supporting it in the long run.
It was meant to be a joke (and it's an old joke we've been using among my circle of friends). No need to be serious. LOL

Back on topic:

Lawbroken has a point. If you absolutely need the latest features of Windows (like DirectX), then by all means, go use Windows 8.

For the most part, stick to Windows 7, primarily due to performance and less frustration with the revamped interface.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
It was meant to be a joke (and it's an old joke we've been using among my circle of friends). No need to be serious. LOL

Back on topic:

Lawbroken has a point. If you absolutely need the latest features of Windows (like DirectX), then by all means, go use Windows 8.

For the most part, stick to Windows 7, primarily due to performance and less frustration with the revamped interface.

windows 8 is actually faster then 7 in most to all games
dont know why your saying go windows 7 for the performance.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
windows 8 is actually faster then 7 in most to all games
dont know why your saying go windows 7 for the performance.
In most tests, there's actually been little to no difference in performance between 7 and 8 on gaming PCs. There's only a real difference in performance when you have fairly limited hardware. Windows 8 runtimes use maybe 200-300 MB less RAM than Windows 7 runtimes (or they should, at any rate), but on a gaming PC with 8+ GB of RAM, that difference is pretty insignificant and will not affect gaming performance at all.

This may change when/if games start taking advantage of DirectX 11.1 and 11.2 features, but for now, the two versions of windows are functionally equivalent, or whatever minor differences they have are barely noticeable. Really, it comes down to a matter of aesthetics and potential "future-proofing." If you want to keep playing newly-released games several years from now without upgrading to a new version of Windows, get Windows 8 now and you're good for a long while. If you absolutely hate the look of Windows 8, get Windows 7.

Definitely take a look at Windows 8.1 before you decide though. Windows 8 had a lot of shortcomings, and the free 8.1 update will fix many (but probably not all) of them when it comes out next month.