Should I use Biomes o' Plenty?

WaterTipper

Jul 29, 2019
I tried it, and there were a ton of "Unnamed" items and led me to suspect that the mod might be buggy later down the road.

Should I use Biomes o' Plenty for my world, or should I just stick with the default biomes?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
It's not buggy at all last time I checked.

If you like having one, very common biome, then you won't like BoP, and you're better off with extra biomes. If you like having every biome being something different, then you'll like it.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
thats a bug with the most recent version, which was a backport from 1.6.2 to 1.5.2 so we wouldnt have to wait a long time to get BoP.
everything still works though.
my world didnt burn when i loaded up after the update.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Bugs aside, what are the benefits to using Bo'P other than just the obvious more biomes?

Amnet

Jul 29, 2019
The 'Unnamed bug' was derp on my end - just missed that in a few places it was 'BiomesOPlenty' instead of 'biomesoplenty' when making a backport. It is fixed now, and I would consider 0.5.9 being a stable version - there will be no new stuff in the 1.5.2 version. Only bugfixes if needed. So the world made with it shouldn't have any problems.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I've been liking BoP less and less lately. I've been playing modpacks with it since I started my Lets Play series back in May. XBXL is more consistent with biomes, and isn't very in your face about the biomes. I also hate Jungle Spiders. Highlands 2 is a great biome mod that I think everyone should check out and see if they like.

Reactions: Jakeb

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
I've been liking BoP less and less lately. I've been playing modpacks with it since I started my Lets Play series back in May. XBXL is more consistent with biomes, and isn't very in your face about the biomes. I also hate Jungle Spiders. Highlands 2 is a great biome mod that I think everyone should check out and see if they like.

Can't you disable the biomes you don't like? BoP might need tweaking for taste, but it's a good mod.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you disable the biomes you don't like? BoP might need tweaking for taste, but it's a good mod.

It's not that I don't like the biomes, trust me. And yes, you can. The thing is that most of the biomes are ridiculous. A lot of them just seem too cluttered, or just... off...

EDIT: The mystic grove vines, and the swamp vines are the worst. They give me a headache and make me get awful lagspikes.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
So, do I just need to manually add a new version of BoP to fix the Unnamed bug?

Bugs aside, what are the benefits to using Bo'P other than just the obvious more biomes?

Charcoal from Deadlands and Volcano biomes. Hot Spring water for fancy decorating and food regen. Easy Netherwart from Undergardens. Tons of Bonemeal from Boneyards.

Reactions: Succubism

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
It's not that I don't like the biomes, trust me. And yes, you can. The thing is that most of the biomes are ridiculous. A lot of them just seem too cluttered, or just... off...

EDIT: The mystic grove vines, and the swamp vines are the worst. They give me a headache and make me get awful lagspikes.

I agree, some of the biomes are just silly or cluttered, and don't even get me started on the colors.

A lot of biomes o plenty is just to busy for me, if you know what I mean. There's too much stuff everywhere that has no real purpose and just serves to clutter things up. The sky colors really, really annoy me and I don't like most of the grass or rock colors either. Some of the biomes are really cool but I don't like a lot of them. Some of the biomes are kinda ridiculous, and a lot of them are magical/fantasy biomes, which i'm not a huge fan of.

I suppose I'm a bit biased towards highlands though, I tried it out and fell in love with it pretty much instantly. I've yet to find a single biome that I don't like and it has some really neat features.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I like BoP's biomes. They're very pretty and colorful. EXB and Highlands are too boring and bland for me. Different strokes for different folks and all that. :p

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, some of the biomes are just silly or cluttered, and don't even get me started on the colors.

A lot of biomes o plenty is just to busy for me, if you know what I mean. There's too much stuff everywhere that has no real purpose and just serves to clutter things up. The sky colors really, really annoy me and I don't like most of the grass or rock colors either. Some of the biomes are really cool but I don't like a lot of them. Some of the biomes are kinda ridiculous, and a lot of them are magical/fantasy biomes, which i'm not a huge fan of.

I suppose I'm a bit biased towards highlands though, I tried it out and fell in love with it pretty much instantly. I've yet to find a single biome that I don't like and it has some really neat features.

Exactly what I was trying to say.

The worst biomes I've seen in Highlands 2 are the sahel and outback biomes. I hate the sand/grass combo that these mods try to do.

Also, I don't recommend enabling vanilla biomes from spawning, it can lead to some pretty weird worldgen (e.g circular snow biomes in the middle of a desert/shrubland)

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
What I liked about Extra Biomes where the Autumn forests. I know BoP has an equivalent biome, but the colors don't seem as vibrant and pretty.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
What I liked about Extra Biomes where the Autumn forests. I know BoP has an equivalent biome, but the colors don't seem as vibrant and pretty.

Highlands autumn biome isn't that great either. My issue with XBXL's autumn biome is the hills.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Ah~, say n'more.

There is also alot of different flowers wich can be turned into just about every dye. There is alot of different tree's with its own sapplings wich work in a MFR tree farm and Bio Reactor. There is a ton of different plants, dirt and stone types for decoration. There is a Fungy forest that allows acces to mooshrooms and mycelium. And there is a flower that gives the wither effect when walking over, a plant that poisons you, a plant that stings, liquid poison and there is quick sand. All world hassards but also interesting ways to make mob farms :)

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly what I was trying to say.

The worst biomes I've seen in Highlands 2 are the sahel and outback biomes. I hate the sand/grass combo that these mods try to do.

Also, I don't recommend enabling vanilla biomes from spawning, it can lead to some pretty weird worldgen (e.g circular snow biomes in the middle of a desert/shrubland)

Yeah, the sand/grass combo is horrible in pretty much every biomes mod. It just doesn't look good at all.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Lothair

Jul 29, 2019
So after a bit of playing around with it, i find myself actually wanting to go back to XBXL or even vanilla worldgen over BoP.

Started over several times with random seeds, and after probably around 10 hours total worth of creative flying around trying to find a place to settle down and start survival mode BoP feels a little 'meh'

With a very few exceptions, the sky color changes are a deal-breaker for me in almost every biome that uses them, most look like they'd be fine on a passing through basis but having to see it nonstop for several hours unless im underground would wear thin fast. If the change was a little more subtle I probably wouldn't mind so much.

Aside from that, the actual terrain itself is in many biomes so broken up I'd spend more time terraforming than actually building. On my last restart i went through the config and disabled most of the biomes that i knew beyond the shadow of a doubt i wouldn't do anything with and/or didn't contribute some useful resource. Popped in, pointed west, and flew in a straight line with minimap fullscreened and zoomed out, and the only areas i came across that looked like they'd be nice to build on turned out to be either a tiny island or a small valley of nice terrain in the middle of an otherwise unbuildable/dont want this as a constant backdrop area. For example i had an area of decent wooded rolling hills but it was maybe four chunks worth of that surrounded by scrag, vertical-sided alps, the hellish burning biome i dont recall the name of, and sludgepit.

Dont get me wrong, most of the biomes themselves look great and there's a few nifty non-cosmetic bits here and there, but after the initial "ooh that looks cool" comes the "does this look like a place I'd want to build something?".