Setting up a server help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
I am setting up a server to play with my sons. in server.properties what do i put as world type for
Biomes O' Plenty should i just type that in? Also i will be running the server on my pc, but if we decide to rent a server what is a good provider to use?

ok figured out it is BIOMESOP.

For 3 people to play direwolf20's modpack. If i was to rent a server how much ram for 3 people to play on it.

Last edited:

krugle

Jul 29, 2019
I would start off with 2-3 GB, you can always add more if you need too. I have always liked fragnet.net exceptionally powerful vpn systems. They tend to be marginally more expensive than other hosting companies but their customer server more than makes up for it.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
As for how much memory for 3 people, it depends on what you will be doing. Industrial scale production and mining of different types of resources and lots of chunks loaded? You will probably want 1 gig per person. Casual play with manual mining and not much automation? You could probably do it with half that.

I would say get 2 gigs and increase in 1 gig increments as needed.[DOUBLEPOST=1393725173][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would start off with 2-3 GB, you can always add more if you need too. I have always liked fragnet.net exceptionally powerful vpn systems. They tend to be marginally more expensive than other hosting companies but their customer server more than makes up for it.

You mean VPS. VPN is Virtual Private Network and is basically a bridge between 2 internal networks over the internet.

krugle

Jul 29, 2019
I do mean VPS, merely a typo not a lack of knowledge regarding the acronym. :)

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
You shouldn't need much memory for 3-4 people. Unless you plan on doing a lot of exploring, your server should be able to handle it without a problem. As for who to host through there are many hosters that I have used in the past and of them I would say CreeperHost is the one I prefer. They have fair support for your tech problems and most times will just fix the problem for you. Just my preference though.