Bug Server Setup Basics

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
L

lorentedford

Greetings I am trying to start up a feed to beast server however I remember back in the day where everything was all in one package you downloaded it and followed the directions and you were setup with what ever type of server you wish to run..

I now have a case of mass confusion I look at the setup page and all the mod packs and i ask my self what am i suppose to use to run the server.. Can the servers be run using spigot? Their is a big host of questions i have for the setup of a feed the beast server and it starts with after i download this package on this site.. http://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-infinity-evolved what is the next step on the server side.. By the way using linux here Xubuntu 14.04 LTS quad core with 8 gigs of ram.. I know how to manually run the .jar files with java etc.. however my confusion starts with what do i put where and I feel their needs to be a better tutorial listed up on the main website like a general FAQ or hosting basic instructions with a detailed layout of how it should be installed.. Just a thought.. I have played Feed the Beast but i believe it has been a very very long time ago. For some reason early 2013 comes to mind.. I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I at least generally know how to read and so far i am not reading anything on the basic installation of servers just a bunch of mod packs that im not really sure what to do with or what version of mine-craft should be ran with or even where the .jar files should be placed on the servers side..

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can offer to direct me to the correct way to setup and maintain a feed the beast server 73's

L

lorentedford

Yes i found this but it still doesnt explain things to the point..

This does not explain the details of hosting example after you get the mod pack where is the server.jar??? Why for example was their no README in the file???

Example i downloaded the file package i thought i wanted wget http://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-infinity-evolved/files/2269308/download

I unzip it and remove the zipped file..
leaving me with this..
hp@hp-server:~/Desktop/sdb1/ftb$ ls
manifest.json overrides
hp@hp-server:~/Desktop/sdb1/ftb$ cd overrides/
hp@hp-server:~/Desktop/sdb1/ftb/overrides$ ls
config hats modpack mods perms.txt resources
hp@hp-server:~/Desktop/sdb1/ftb/overrides$

Where is the server.jar file again??

Here is what the link you sent me says..
Hosting
Have Your Own Server?
Its simple to install a Feed the Beast server follow these steps to install Feed the Beast modpacks on dedicated servers, VPSs or home computers.

1. Download the required modpack from the server modpack page here or by selecting the modpack in the launcher and clicking download server. You can copy the link address and use the link to wget the zip to your server if you are running a CLI.
  2. Unzip the package by using the "unzip" command on linux or by right clicking and selecting extract on windows using a program such as winzip or winrar
  3. Move the files to the location where you want to run your server
  4. Run the server, do this by double clicking the .bat file on windows or running the sh file on linux with the command "sh ServerStart.sh"
  5. You can edit the amount of RAM allocated to the server and JVM arguments by editing the .sh or .bat file you use to start the server.
You can also buy servers from our sponsor CreeperHost with one click install of your favorite FTB Content.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Here is the link for the server zip. It's on modpacks, FTB Infinity Evolved, Files, 2.2.2, server file.

Reactions: lorentedford

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Also, I've found that it is usually easier to download the server files directly from the old FTB launcher. While I use the curse voice launcher for my client side. I still go back to the old launcher for the server files. BTW: I also use a very custom server setup using a headless hosted Ubuntu 14.04 server and it performs flawlessly. Any issues I do have with it tend to players pushing the modding limits so to speak.

L

lorentedford

Also, I've found that it is usually easier to download the server files directly from the old FTB launcher. While I use the curse voice launcher for my client side. I still go back to the old launcher for the server files. BTW: I also use a very custom server setup using a headless hosted Ubuntu 14.04 server and it performs flawlessly. Any issues I do have with it tend to players pushing the modding limits so to speak.

Henry that's good news!! I have been running spigot for my modded Vanilla server and its running Ubuntu 14.04 lts server addition with very bare bones essential customized software ie Asterisk pbx phone system for Amateur radio and Email servers along with multi host web server and a minecraft server with team-speak server combo it has run flawlessly with 8 gigs of ram and a dual core xeon I cant wait to test the limits of feed the beast with this quad core and 8 gigs of ram at the house I plan to really push it to the limits if i can.

Thanks so much for the reply 73's

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I just use the standard forge setup to launch minecraft. My machine is beefy though. It is a quad core xeon e3 running at 3.4 ghz with 32 gb of ram on two SSD drives (raid 0). Currently I have three packs plus team speak and have never had any lag issues.

I've never had physical access to this box. So all of my customizing has been to scripting the start/stop/restart/backup of the game. I also use my dropbox account to sync/store the backups and the scripting removes any backup older than 7 days. So I have a recovery point if needed. To date I've never had a failure of the SSDs and I've had the same server for about 2 years.