Problem Server performance

powergitt

Jul 29, 2019
Hey

I'm running a small public ftb unleashed server. The server has grown a little bit in the past few months and in the weekends there are usually about 15 people online.

When there is 10 or more people online the tickrate starts to decrease. It might go as low as 10-12 when there is almost 20 people online. The server has chunk loaders disabled for most offline players and i have installed the ClearLag plugin which should clean up floating items and entities every now and then.

I'm running MCPC. The server has a Intel 4770k cpu with 16GB of ram and a SSD disk, so i thought that this hardware should have no problem with 20 players, but I guess i was wrong on that part. I usually run Nallars Tick Profiler to try to gain any information if there is a spesific block or chunk that is causing the tickrate to drop, but it usually is not a lot of information to gain from the profilers output if there is a lot of "stuff" happening on the server.

I tried to get Tick Threading working, but with the Unleashed modpack I was not successful in getting it running. It seems that Nallar is no longer working on the mod, so that is a dead end..

Is there anything i can do to improve the performance on my server?

powergitt

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your quick reply.

I have updated my ServerStart.sh script to the following:
Code:
java -server -Xmn1500M -Xms6G -Xmx6G -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=31 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=150 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:PermSize=1024m -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=2048m -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing -XX:CompileThreshold=1000 -jar mcpc.jar nogui

Guess I'll have to wait and see if there is an improvement.

powergitt

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm running the server with the new parameters.. But the performance TPS wise seems to be about the same. There is currently 12 people online and the TPS is lingering between 16 and 14. There is no noticeable lag on the server, but the tickrate is suffering. I'll remove the -server statement next startup, but it seems to no harm, but it is redundant.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
It takes time for the needed methods to compile and the server to stabilize. Wait an hour or two.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Also of experience, clear lagg causes a large drop in TPS for me, just using worldedit to remove entities and tickthreading and bukkit to limit the max per chunk works out great for me. ex My TPS without clear lagg is 20.0 with it I get 16-18

powergitt

Jul 29, 2019
So I kept an eye on the server performance yesterday for a couple of hours when there was 10+ players online. And the TPS was never above 18.

How did you get Tick Threading working? I was unable to with the Unleashed modpack.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
All you have to do with tick threading is put it in your mods folder and restart, it will patch a lot of mods and this may take some time so just let it do it's thing, then it will be working. Also again off experience get rid of clearlagg and use worldedit to remove entities if you really need to.

powergitt

Jul 29, 2019
Well. The patching and all that is fine, but once the server boots up the console gets spammed by errors. Also it seems that Barrels don't work with TT which is not very good. Anyway, if you have some other suggestion I will be most thankful.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Tick Threading was always a miracle at cost. It made things unstable and it made unstable things unusable.

I would have a talk with your users about lag machines and how efficient setups will help keep the server performing well. Aside from the JVM arguements, thats really all that can be done.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on a new set of JVM arguments atm. I need to do more testing on them yet, but if you would like to test them on your server I'll be more than happy to PM them to you. I make no guarentees on how much they will help since I've been busy and have less than 8 hours of practical test on them atm.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Tick Threading was always a miracle at cost. It made things unstable and it made unstable things unusable.

I would have a talk with your users about lag machines and how efficient setups will help keep the server performing well. Aside from the JVM arguements, thats really all that can be done.

Yea that's is what I use without any plugins in the mix that just eat more resources. Plus I don't care about chunkloaders, why? because I don't let idiots on my server and if they do abuse well those abusers and those only would be banned not the loaders themsleves. Admins these days are taking the "easy way" out.