Server Owners Assemble! a Fix or better solution needs to exist!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Doesnt this hack suck so much?

• Total voters

Vanroden

Jul 29, 2019
Well since i didnt know where else to post this i figured i would post it in the server admin section.

If your a FTB server owner, You know there is a Creative hack client going around which if used in any way can devestate your server and its players, and as far as i know there is no well known 100% fix

So I make this thread looking for people who would like to know more, Or for people who have the knowledge/ability to create a fix for this MAJOR problem.

Also, Lets all get pitchforks and chase the guy who released this hack out of town.

Alright to the point, I have a few ways i fight this hack and the things people can do with it

1. Your gunna wanna ban Spawn eggs, Esspecialy the hydra spawn egg since the hydra breaks blocks in its way and can be easily used to nuke your spawn

2. if you have worldguard set your spawns region flag gamemode to survival, So only Ops can be in creative in that region ( most hackers will join, try the hack and fail, And leave thinking it doesnt work on your server) Thanks to Mr_gavitt for clarifying this idea, Also set all your regions with this flag to be safe.

3. A plugin that bans people in creative when they dont have a certain permision and interact in the world.
this can help alot, Ive had a friend make one for me, but sadly it can be bypassed easily by just draging out of the creative inventory, i would give you guys the plugin but its not mine to re-distribute =P
(People who can make plugins can make this easily)

if you have any other ways to combat this hack, please share it here!

BEST KNOWN 100% SOLUTION!
(Thanks to Mr_gavitt for this info)

As posted above the hack can be prevented with world edit region flags but sadly those flags only affect the region with the flag, i now know you can set flags on the whole world with
"/region flag __global__ gamemode survival
"
This will prevent anyone who is not op or not a member of the global region from being in creative in the whole world

100% fix would be considered something that fixes the problem without sacrificing anything else

Reactions: Connor Gavitt

AtroCty

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly doesn't work, just downloaded the hack and joined with a secoundary account to try it out, still works :/

€DIT: Some servers have some fix that instantly kicks players out if they use this hack. I'd like to know WHERE to find this.

Last edited:

Vanroden

Jul 29, 2019
I would also like to know atro. a few people just logged in, spawned in Emperor's chalice and covered my spawn in water, i banned em all, and even worse another guy joined and i watched him, He never went in creative but managed to spawn in a cheat armor and the chalice.. WTF man

Edit: i just removed NEI from my server and tried the hack and it didnt work, this really isnt a solution as you loose the admin tools NEI provides, Which i tend to use alot

Last edited:

AtroCty

Jul 29, 2019
It's mainly because WG only triggers an Event on movement. If they stand still they can cheat anything they want. There must be an EventManager that triggers on Gamemode-Change.

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
You talking 1.4.7 or 1.5.2 or 1.6.4? Only one I knew of was on 1.4.7 and there was a very simple solution. Either way send me a PM of what you mean exactly and I will look into it (Check my past posts to see I am not a troll)

*Edit if its the 1.4.7 one I am thinking about just remove the server side component for it as it is not really needed.

Last edited:

Vanroden

Jul 29, 2019
You talking 1.4.7 or 1.5.2 or 1.6.4? Only one I knew of was on 1.4.7 and there was a very simple solution. Either way send me a PM of what you mean exactly and I will look into it (Check my past posts to see I am not a troll)

*Edit if its the 1.4.7 one I am thinking about just remove the server side component for it as it is not really needed.

1.4.7, And i already removed NEI from the server and the hack doesnt work, But its not a very good solution, as i use the nei tools alot.

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
Well there are some ways to fix it by editing NEI since it is open source to backdate the fix.

trephor

Jul 29, 2019
we should name the players that get caught with it as they are just free to move on to the next server

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
Then we would all have to trust each other are telling the true and not just trying to ruin someone who pissed you off. MCBans is about the only semi 3ed party thing I know of (Considering there are some things with that plugin/group I would not trust). Simpler thing is just to fix it and force gamemode on join game.

pherce

Jul 29, 2019
I remember seeing this before, but is this only for Ultimate? Definitely had our spawned griefed with Nagas before. Totally sucked, but it was kind of funny...

Anyway, I coded a plugin to hopefully protect against this. This plugin will detect players switching from Survival Mode to Creative Mode and ban them if they're not op. The gamemode change event is canceled as well.

Players are also checked for Creative Mode when they join the server and it will ban them if they're not op. This is useful if you already have a few Creative Mode hackers (presuming they keep Creative Mode between sessions, or if they can enable the hack before connecting) before utilizing this plugin.

- I can do a permissions version if people really need it.
- Bans are both playername and IP address.

Plugin: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35081687/NoCreativeForYou.jar
Source: https://github.com/pherce/NoCreativeForYou

Feel free to clean/modify/use/abuse the source in any way, I'm not much of a coder.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
I remember seeing this before, but is this only for Ultimate? Definitely had our spawned griefed with Nagas before. Totally sucked, but it was kind of funny...

Anyway, I coded a plugin to hopefully protect against this. This plugin will detect players switching from Survival Mode to Creative Mode and ban them if they're not op. Players are also checked for Creative Mode when they join the server and bans them if they're not op. I can do a permissions version if people really need it.

Bans are both playername and IP address.

Feel free to clean/modify/use/abuse the source in any way, I'm not much of a coder.
Sounds good, adding in a permission of creative would be nice.

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019

Anyway, I coded a plugin to hopefully protect against this. This plugin will detect players switching from Survival Mode to Creative Mode and ban them if they're not op. The gamemode change event is canceled as well.

Players are also checked for Creative Mode when they join the server and it will ban them if they're not op. This is useful if you already have a few Creative Mode hackers (presuming they keep Creative Mode between sessions, or if they can enable the hack before connecting) before utilizing this plugin.

- I can do a permissions version if people really need it.
- Bans are both playername and IP address.

Requires the person to be running MCPC/BukkitForge. I added a pull request for fixing a logic error as for adding permissions ill do another commit in a second.

pherce

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, didn't think about Adventure mode. Go ahead and push perms and I'll update a link for everyone. Might be nice to have a log file too, but I'd have to bust out some google-fu to do that.

Thanks.

pherce

Jul 29, 2019
Your Plugin does not work, they still can bypass :/
Found a client and I'm not sure I can fix it (I really can't code). I see where it's calling for creative but I'm not sure if I can prevent it. I'll give it a shot though.

Last edited:

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
If they are still bypassing then the event is not being fired (which is always a issue with mods and MCPC events don't always get fired). Which then means have to run a scheduled task that checks clients at some specified interval which would be must more resource intensive but still not really that bad.

AtroCty

Jul 29, 2019
Problem with time intervals is, that the Hack can give you Creative for milli-secounds, cheat the item and go back, thats why we need the specific EventHandler for going into Creative.