Problem Server Lag and Crashes due to the Thermal Expansion Grid Tick Handler

tommy3244

Jul 29, 2019
1. Windows 7
2. No, I'm using the Agrarian Skies official server that I downloaded using the Download Server button in the FTB Launcher
3. Client: Agrarian Skies 3.1.1 (The version is set to recommended, so I'm fairly sure this is the version I am using), Server: Not sure how to find out, I think it's the same as the client
4. No.
5. I think you're asking the ram I allow my server? 2048 MB, so 2 GB. I tried increasing the ram, but it doesn't seem to help.
I've been hosting a small private server where me and my friends play Agrarian Skies, and recently (suddenly in less than a day) we began experiencing massive lag. I added opis to my client's enabled mod list and found that according to opis, the reason was that the Thermal Expansion Grid Tick Handler was taking 2000 MS, when the other handlers were taking (usually) less than 100 MS. We installed tesseracts and removed a bunch of TE itemducts, for I heard tesseracts help stop lag, but so far after we installed those the thermal expansion grid tick handler's run time has DOUBLED and is now taking a whopping 4000 MS per tick! I did more research and found that a common reason for TE lag on Agrarian Skies is using itemducts to pump cobblestone from igneous extruders into Ex Nihilo crucibles, which causes a lot of stuffed items, which in turn causes major lag. I've replaced the itemducts getting stuffed (most of them) with hoppers, but the Thermal Expansion Grid Tick Handler is still taking around 4000 MS! The lag has gotten so bad my server has taken to crashing to where I can't even type "save-all" in the console. I tried adding more memory, and as I expected, this did not help. NOTE: Each time after I changed our TE setup majorly to try and fix the lag, I restarted the server.

Help would be appreciated. If I've not included (or mis-included) some information, please tell me. Thanks!

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
I'd look further for stuffed itemducts. Every encounter i've seen with a crazy TE handler it has been the itemducts. Even a simple construction like an AE export bus to a chest, chest feeding 5 pulverizers with itemducts can cause massive lag if given enough time to build up stuffed connections. The previous example happened to me. I din't want to hook up export busses to pulverizers b/c there are no facades. So I came up with a little system that feeds a chest and itemducts pull cobble from that chest to insert into the pulverizers. I figured there would be a little stuffing but it should solve itself on the next "free space" event in the pulverizers. I was wrong, seems that the itemducts pull new items from the chest before using the stuffed items (or at least there is a possibility that it happens). In 48 hours the server was crawling on it's knees. I broke the itemducts and cobble was everywhere. I purged the dropped items using opis to get the server to respond again.

Basically, whenever you work with itemducts make sure it's an "open" network. Which means that an item should always have a place to go, be it a buffer chest (dangerous, can be full) or a trash can.

tommy3244

Jul 29, 2019
I'd look further for stuffed itemducts. Every encounter i've seen with a crazy TE handler it has been the itemducts. Even a simple construction like an AE export bus to a chest, chest feeding 5 pulverizers with itemducts can cause massive lag if given enough time to build up stuffed connections. The previous example happened to me. I din't want to hook up export busses to pulverizers b/c there are no facades. So I came up with a little system that feeds a chest and itemducts pull cobble from that chest to insert into the pulverizers. I figured there would be a little stuffing but it should solve itself on the next "free space" event in the pulverizers. I was wrong, seems that the itemducts pull new items from the chest before using the stuffed items (or at least there is a possibility that it happens). In 48 hours the server was crawling on it's knees. I broke the itemducts and cobble was everywhere. I purged the dropped items using opis to get the server to respond again.

Basically, whenever you work with itemducts make sure it's an "open" network. Which means that an item should always have a place to go, be it a buffer chest (dangerous, can be full) or a trash can.
Thanks, I'll try this as soon as I get the server up! I'm not sure what other itemducts I have, I broke the ones that seemed stuffed, but I'll keep checking! Thanks!

UnionCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Overflow/Stuffed ducts does not cause this, TE ducts over chunk boundaries and the way it interacts with forges ore dictionary are the main issues. Unfortunately even if the pipes are stuffed the problem will still exist until you break all the ducts on your server. Most servers have banned ducts now as it eventually makes the server unplayable.

I cant see this issue being fixed in 1.6.X, its been reported a ton of times and nothing has been fixed.