Server hardware discussion. Any server Owner Must Read !

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer running Debian but Ubuntu is very similar, it just has a larger community and some different package sources. CentOS uses a different package management system and I don't know it very well but I have used it 3 times in the past for servers were the server OS was already decided.

With the server your building, the OS is just a matter of preference because performance isn't a concern with that very nice processor and extra memory.

oppositeZERO

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer to use CentOS, but really all the the main variants are fairly similar, and it's pretty easy to swap from one to the other, main difference is one uses apt-get and the other uses yum, not really hard to learn or remember.

LeoMC

Jul 29, 2019
So the bigger your cash the better.

mhm I agree :p

But anyway, about the OS: I recommend using a Linux distribution. Using windows is an option, but it makes your server a lot slower. As for a good Linux distribution, I recommend CentOS or Debian. A lot of people won't agree to this, but these are two systems which both have a lot of advantages. I do not recommend using Ubuntu as a server OS, it is good for desktop (and it is what I use), but it is just Debian with additions you most likely don't need.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
Ubuntu, stripped down can be as effective as raw Deb for the MC server. The administrative tools are virtually identical since they have a common ancestor.

But nevertheless I agree 100%, yes Deb is the way to go if you have the choice to select the OS.

FooFarm runs a modified Ubuntu (stripped down, lowered and cut for the most effective use of the HW) on a dedicated Xeon E3 1280v3, 32Gb RAM, SSD, etc...

LeoMC

Jul 29, 2019
Well Ubuntu is Debian + upgrades, and if you remove the upgrades, it's just Debian again, but I guess it depends on personal preference/hardware

LBBNigma

Jul 29, 2019
Right, well no need to make a separate topic for this if there is huge one going on already. I am looking to improve my setup.

I'm running a dedicated machine for a group of friends. We are currently running the DW20 pack in it's default setting. We just like to play together and we're open to most suggestions really. But right now here's what I got going.
We're running a dedicated machine with these specs and running Ubuntu 12.04.
  • AM3 motherboard running a Atlon II X2 3000+
  • DDR3 800Mhz 4GB (MicroATX limits me to 2 banks)
  • Some spare Sata HDD I had lying around.
  • And an old GTS250 I had to add in to get the motherboard to boot at all.
I'm currently planning to get a new AM3+ Motherboard (ATX this time) to accommodate more RAM and a better CPU. One which also has an onboard videocard so I can retire the GTS250 again for later use.
And based on reading these forums i am thinking getting DDR3 1600Mhz 8GB, the onboard video card and a quad core 4.2Ghz processor.

The group of friends consists of 4 'addicts' for lack of a better word, 4 regulars, and 4 irregulars. Right now when 8 of us are online we are starting to experience some lag. We also have huge spikes of lag on world gen, would getting a SDD help reduce this? Or is that CPU related? I am hoping to increase capacity to at least 20 people and make the server open to some new players for a bit more fun.

I am open to suggestions for this hardware, the modpack and/or server config settings.
I've looked into the java flags, i believe i have the most relevant ones for my machine setup. However i don't really notice a difference (yet).
Also there is a lot in the DW20 pack, but i wonder if there are things that bog the server down. For instance do MystCraft ages have a big enough impact to matter? Are there things i can disable to get a little better performance, or advice i can give my actual players, like try not to make a MystCraft age just to go fishing?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019

First off, if your buy new hardware for a Minecraft server, pick an Intel processor. Minecraft is not multi-threaded and Intel has the best single thread performance right now and will for the predictable future.

Second, your memory is running in dual channel mode. This means you see 800Mhz but its actually 1600Mhz. No need to upgrade memory unless your running out of it. 8 gigs is usually enough for smaller servers.

As for the lag, its likely a combination of your disk and processor. A small, high quality SSD would certainly help. Use the old hard drive to keep backups.

This build would be a good starting point: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3q23R

Under $450, has the highest clockspeed Intel processor available, 8 gigs of memory, fastest SSD available, and a new power supply. Power supply might not be needed, I just include them in any builds I suggest because a ton of people think the power supplies that come with pre-built computers are acceptable.

LBBNigma

Jul 29, 2019

Interesting! Thank you. I read the first page stating that there is a difference between rates Ghz of processors, but are you really telling me this 3.6Ghz would be faster than a 4.2Ghz? That's a hard one to swallow.
I never get anything prebuilt so no worries for that. I am a little confused about the information that that website is lacking. The Motherboard I have picked out is of similar pricing, is a full ATX instead of microATX. But also has a built in graphics card. This one states it depends on the CPU? Because I read (and experienced) that even for a commandline server the motherboard must have a video card in order to even boot up. The SSD on the website is certainly pricey and all I find about it's speed is "Interface 6Gb/s". That's very obscure, i wouldn't be able to believe that existed because local shops that sell SDDs that feature 2GB read and write speeds are well over $2000 here. Looking up the product (the SDD you recommend) in one of my local shops it states the read and write are 530/390. I was considering grabbing a Mushkin Chronos 60GB with a rate of 550/515 read write. Which would only set me back 45 euros (~$60) I figured that would be able to keep up with world gen at least. If the game generates more than 550MB of world gen, or even just half that assuming the OS and such need a little of that bandwidth as well, every second that would be pretty insane on the game's part. As for the RAM I would have picked 4 banks of 2GB over a single 8GB one because I think 4 connections would mean faster parallel work right? I suppose the price on that is a little higher at 80 euros instead of the ~40 for a single bank. Could you give some more feedback on why you would pick a single bank over filling out your motherboard slots?

Not really hardware related but if anyone would be willing to share or point me to where I can find what is the recommended upload per player for the DW20 pack?
Also I think if I switch to the onboard graphics card on the motherboard and can bench my GTS250 that should free up enough wattage on the power supply that I don't even have to consider about replacing/upgrading it.

EDIT: I wanted to throw in what i've got into my own PCPicker list for you. But it seems most of the parts I have available are not on that website.
Heres some detailed specs if you wish to look it up.
Motherboard: MSI-760GA-P43 (FX)
RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit (clocked at CLS9-9-9-24)
CPU: "Vishera" AMD-FX-4350
SSD: Mushkin Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB
Which would set me back a total of 270 euros (~$375)

Last edited:

LBBNigma

Jul 29, 2019
I think I can help, look at benchmarks here for single threading. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Thank you, I have looked up Intel and things within my price range seem to be for Socket 1155. Looking at some available processors in the same price range (for my silly EU pricing at least) I don't see that much difference?
Here's a few comparisons I made.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1929&cmp[]=752&cmp[]=1473
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1929&cmp[]=752&cmp[]=2015

At a similar price range the scores don't seem to make much of a difference. But maybe am looking at the wrong Intel stuff. I've never had an Intel machine before so perhaps a little point in the right direction may help.
(Keep in mind this is based on stock at my local hardware store, importing is sadly out of the question. As I do see that most of the top of the chart is Intel.)

(In terms of fairness. The AMD core i wanted to get also actually rates higher than the Intel that DZCreeper suggested. Proof)
EDIT: But i do see these scores are not the actual "Single Thread Rating". Darn... Time to look at more statistics then.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting! Thank you. I read the first page stating that there is a difference between rates Ghz of processors, but are you really telling me this 3.6Ghz would be faster than a 4.2Ghz? That's a hard one to swallow.
I never get anything prebuilt so no worries for that. I am a little confused about the information that that website is lacking. The Motherboard I have picked out is of similar pricing, is a full ATX instead of microATX. But also has a built in graphics card. This one states it depends on the CPU? Because I read (and experienced) that even for a commandline server the motherboard must have a video card in order to even boot up. The SSD on the website is certainly pricey and all I find about it's speed is "Interface 6Gb/s". That's very obscure, i wouldn't be able to believe that existed because local shops that sell SDDs that feature 2GB read and write speeds are well over $2000 here. Looking up the product (the SDD you recommend) in one of my local shops it states the read and write are 530/390. I was considering grabbing a Mushkin Chronos 60GB with a rate of 550/515 read write. Which would only set me back 45 euros (~$60) I figured that would be able to keep up with world gen at least. If the game generates more than 550MB of world gen, or even just half that assuming the OS and such need a little of that bandwidth as well, every second that would be pretty insane on the game's part. As for the RAM I would have picked 4 banks of 2GB over a single 8GB one because I think 4 connections would mean faster parallel work right? I suppose the price on that is a little higher at 80 euros instead of the ~40 for a single bank. Could you give some more feedback on why you would pick a single bank over filling out your motherboard slots?

Not really hardware related but if anyone would be willing to share or point me to where I can find what is the recommended upload per player for the DW20 pack?
Also I think if I switch to the onboard graphics card on the motherboard and can bench my GTS250 that should free up enough wattage on the power supply that I don't even have to consider about replacing/upgrading it.

EDIT: I wanted to throw in what i've got into my own PCPicker list for you. But it seems most of the parts I have available are not on that website.
Heres some detailed specs if you wish to look it up.
Motherboard: MSI-760GA-P43 (FX)
RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit (clocked at CLS9-9-9-24)
CPU: "Vishera" AMD-FX-4350
SSD: Mushkin Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB
Which would set me back a total of 270 euros (~$375)

Yes, even though the clockspeed is lower on the Intel chips, they are faster in single threaded tasks because of the underlying architecture. AMD doesn't really compete in terms of performance unless the task is heavily multi-threaded.
MicroATX vs Full ATX makes little difference in this situation and I only picked the smaller board because of its price. ATX just has room for more ports which you don't really need for a small server like this.
Integrated graphics used to be part of motherboards but in recent years are now built entirely into the CPU. Rest assured, it will work just fine as a server this way. Wouldn't make much sense for Intel and AMD to sell the chips if it didn't.
Sata 3 has a maximum speed of 6gbps or 6000mbps. A good SSD maxes out at about 4gbps or 4000mbps. That speed is measured using large file transfers. What really makes the difference in a solid state drive is small transfer speed and parallel transfers.
The SSD you listed is good, but the 840 Pro is a bit better. You decide if the extra space and speed are worth it to you. The SSD's your local shops are probably offering are PCI-E SSD's, they can be quite fast but are also very expensive. ($2000 you mentioned)
Go with either 1 8GB stick or 2 4GB sticks. Single vs Dual channel memory won't make a very noticeable difference and your thinking of quad channel which is still several years away from being common.
Using a single slot also makes memory upgrades easier, because now you have extra slots. Each slot can takes a single 8GB stick of memory.

That's the answers to all your hardware questions. As for the upload speed, I typically plan for about 1mbps upload per player but that can overkill. There is also a point of diminishing returns, so if you need exact number of slots, you will have to do some testing. As for the power supply, anything over 300 watts should run the build I planned. The 430 watt power supply I suggested was merely the cheapest power supply I felt comfortable suggesting. Also, if your buying these parts in Europe or Canada, it might be a bit more expensive because of taxes and shipping.

If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the performance between the processor you mentioned and my suggestion would be at least 20% in favor of my mine.[DOUBLEPOST=1397257278][/DOUBLEPOST]
SNIP
(In terms of fairness. The AMD core i wanted to get also actually rates higher than the Intel that DZCreeper suggested. Proof)
EDIT: But i do see these scores are not the actual "Single Thread Rating". Darn... Time to look at more statistics then.

Don't go with socket 1155, its already outdated by socket 1150 which is Intel Haswell chips. As for the performance difference, the AMD chips slightly beat the Intel chips when both are 100% utilized but Minecraft will only utilize one core at a time and that is where Intel shines.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
For the best bangs for your bucks the ntel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU should do the trick since it have a single threading value of 1976, not bad for under $120 according to site.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
For the best bangs for your bucks the ntel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU should do the trick since it have a single threading value of 1976, not bad for under $120 according to site.

True, but the chip I suggested is only about $40 more and has the highest clockspeed of any Haswell chip that is not unlocked. An unlocked chip would cost $100 more though, require a more expensive motherboard, and a decent cooling solution.

LBBNigma

Jul 29, 2019
Very interesting, I will rethink my setup to upgrade to Intel. Sadly this does mean I will have to wait longer since I was planning to use my current AM3 core with the newer AM3+ motherboard until the time i could afford a new CPU. But if it's that big a difference I am willing to wait for it.

Network related. I think 1Mbps per player would ruin the whole idea of running a server. Next month I get upgraded to 9Mbps upload and looking at "nload" on ubuntu I don't seem to need much network speed at all. When does minecraft use the most? world gen? moving around?

PS. Had no friggin clue that onboard graphics are moving into CPUs... AMD must be awfully behind on that i suppose. Awesome!

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly the 1mbps per player thing was more of a rough estimate, I haven't bothered to do any extensive profiling of network usage on a real server for quite some time. Keep in mind if the server doesn't have a dedicated line that always gets a certain speed, you will want to account for times when you don't have the full speed. 9mbps would probably be enough for 15 people or more but your not going to get the full speed if your on a residential connection or you start using your download. When downloading, your computer sends packets back that says "okay, I got that piece fine, keep going".

AMD is not actually behind, they have graphics built into the CPU these days as well. In fact, the Accelerated Processor Units they produce are basically a processor+low end dedicated video card in one. The FX series of processors are more traditional, focusing more on processor performance than graphics performance. Intel still does traditional processors with great single thread performance but they have made some huge leaps in graphics performance as well in the last few generations.

Viperidae

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, everybody!
I'm thinking of starting a server of my own. I already did that, but only for a small group of friends and it was hosted in my computer.
I'm planning on having 214 mods loaded, but I can't have my PC powered on all the time, so I'd like you to advise me, if possible.
I'm thinking on a 10-20 people server. Would you advise me to rent a server, and if so, what host would you advise me, or is it better to build a dedicated one?
The best regards.

fraidy_cat

Jul 29, 2019
I think you should list the mods first. Because 214 mods will require a lot of CPU and a lot of RAM.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
10-20 people playing on your hosted computer, regardless of the mods is going to consume a considerable amount of bandwidth. Unless you're riding on fat pipes, for that kind of population I'd advise renting a server. 4770-i7 or better 8Gb should be fine to start. You can add more later.

As far as the mods go, the mods themselves aren't so much the hit as the number of entities (new instances of objects).

The impact to players will be network latency before anything do to with the horsepower of the machine. That's a close second.

I've used AllGamer.net for about a year. I rent a server from them. A little more expensive but the benefits outweigh the cost.

What fraidy_cat is alluding to is the average user experience when a player tries to join the server. If their machine cannot cope with that many mods loaded and the requirements of the PC on the client side, it doesn't matter what your server can handle.

200+ mods is quite a lot. Scale back. Sort them into "gotta have" and "nice to have". Run some tests for players that have average HW on the client side and see what the playability is. Nothing beats hard data to make a decision.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
It's usually better to build your own dedicated server IF AND ONLY IF your bandwidth can suffice, pretty much every non satalite internet provider is low latency so your only worry then would be to mitigate DOS attacks your self as minecraft is prone to it.

For your server if you build it I suggest ONLY a xeon E3 1240 1245 1270 1280 or 1230 processor hopefully at least v2 as those have the best performance with minecraft and that 1280v3 is the best on the market and pretty cheap and can easily host 8 400mod servers with 30 people+ on each no prob. Also I do suggest a SSD as ALL 1.6+ packs will lag severely without high read and writes.

8-16GB of RAM will suffice unless you are gonna be doing some cray stuff or running a lot of servers.

Why I suggest only a E3 processor is because a E5 isn't gears for single core applications as much and i7 processors are simply not made to be run 24/7 with high loads, part of the reason it's classified as a "desktop" processor according to http://ark.intel.com

Also don't judge ANYTHING by clock speed. Use CPUbenchmark.net and for minecraft use the single thread list.

Anyway if you don't want to build your own server which is ok there are options. But before you buy anything online send in a support ticket asking exact CPU specifications even if they already tell you in their site as they should to test support response speed and tolerance assuming there listed it already somewhere on the site. If the response takes more then 3 hours don't even think of using them, 3 hours is worse then OVH. That's pretty sad.

For your dedicated server you may rent use the specs I reccomended for your own personal serve above, they apply here too.

Some good hosts you may like that are reputable and reliable are OVH.com or OVH.co.uk, servermainia, hetzner, fragnet( support is meh), pheonexNap, and soyoustart (they will have game servers out soon at PVH prices so they are DEFINATLY A OPTION, but these are just the few I have liked in my experiences. Also be sure your server has KVM/IPMI or something similar in case the actual server crashes so you can start it manually instantly rather then waiting an hour for support to do it.[DOUBLEPOST=1400626526][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey, everybody!
I'm thinking of starting a server of my own. I already did that, but only for a small group of friends and it was hosted in my computer.
I'm planning on having 214 mods loaded, but I can't have my PC powered on all the time, so I'd like you to advise me, if possible.
I'm thinking on a 10-20 people server. Would you advise me to rent a server, and if so, what host would you advise me, or is it better to build a dedicated one?
The best regards.
Forgot to tag you lol, there you go, tagged @Viperidae