Server CPU for modded?

Razernok

Jul 29, 2019
How fast does need for their CPU for modded Minecraft?

I'm figuring like 3.5GHz or higher. But I want to see what other people say.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
The GHz is almost irrelevant, for example the old intel xeon 3.80GHz is absolute garbage and will defiantly be unable to run a FTB server of any kind above 10TPS

This chart is what you want to use for minecraft server CPUs https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html the best ones are the E3 and i7, the best being the i7 4790k. However even a 2.5GHz E3 would be better than most E5 and all E7 CPUs for minecraft.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The GHz is almost irrelevant, for example the old intel xeon 3.80GHz is absolute garbage and will defiantly be unable to run a FTB server of any kind above 10TPS

This chart is what you want to use for minecraft server CPUs https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html the best ones are the E3 and i7, the best being the i7 4790k. However even a 2.5GHz E3 would be better than most E5 and all E7 CPUs for minecraft.

I'm assuming you mean the Pentium 4 based Xeons when you say the 3.8ghz old ones. In which case, I definitely agree...

However, high end Xeon E5s and E7s would most certainly still be better for Minecraft if they are equal to or higher clocked then the E3(this is all assuming the same generation.) E5s and E7s, besides having more cores, also have more L1/L2 cache and slight architectural differences from the E3s.

Here's a die shot of a Haswell based E5.

And here's a die shot of a Haswell based Core chip(which is what the E3s use.)

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming you mean the Pentium 4 based Xeons when you say the 3.8ghz old ones. In which case, I definitely agree...

However, high end Xeon E5s and E7s would most certainly still be better for Minecraft if they are equal to or higher clocked then the E3(this is all assuming the same generation.) E5s and E7s, besides having more cores, also have more L1/L2 cache and slight architectural differences from the E3s.

Here's a die shot of a Haswell based E5.

And here's a die shot of a Haswell based Core chip(which is what the E3s use.)
idk about those E7s though, haven't seen a single FTB server run on one yet lol

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I can tell you from personal experience my server is a beast. I can run 3 modded heavy packs on it at the same time. So I will say yes the xeon processors can handle modded minecraft. BTW: I'm currently running infinity evolved, regrowth & a custom pack (about 175 mods).
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 3.4 GHz quad core intel Xeon E3 1245v2 CPU
  • 2x 120 GB SSD in raid 0

Reactions: Connor Gavitt

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
I can tell you from personal experience my server is a beast. I can run 3 modded heavy packs on it at the same time. So I will say yes the xeon processors can handle modded minecraft. BTW: I'm currently running infinity evolved, regrowth & a custom pack (about 175 mods).
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 3.4 GHz quad core intel Xeon E3 1245v2 CPU
  • 2x 120 GB SSD in raid 0
It has 4 cores a 4th pack should be no issue, the E3 1245, 1270v2+, E5 16xx series, i7 4770 and i7 4790k are the best performing servers I've seen. I use the 4790k, it runs FTB infinity evolved on windows 10 with 6% CPU usage with about 20 plugins and 6 players. SSDs of course.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Due to the hyper threading the OS sees 8 processors. But, I haven't had a need to go beyond three packs yet. The server runs Ubuntu and runs lean (no GUI, database, or web interfaces). Everything is command line and SFTP to maintain the server.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Due to the hyper threading the OS sees 8 processors. But, I haven't had a need to go beyond three packs yet. The server runs Ubuntu and runs lean (no GUI, database, or web interfaces). Everything is command line and SFTP to maintain the server.
Well you have 8 logical cores, however if you run 4 servers all cores will be at max utilization for the most part. If the servers only use like 30% of a core each you can probably get off with 6 servers.

Razernok

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to build myself a good home server for gaming for $500 or less. Just having trouble figuring out what all I'm gonna have on in it.

Also trying to make sure it is easy to upgrade too.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to build myself a good home server for gaming for $500 or less. Just having trouble figuring out what all I'm gonna have on in it.

Also trying to make sure it is easy to upgrade too.

I could put together a parts list for you. :p Are you just planning on hosting game servers on this thing, or do you want to do actual gaming on the thing? If the latter, what games/resolution/graphics settings? If the former, how many servers? And do you need a lot of storage?

Razernok

Jul 29, 2019
I could put together a parts list for you. :p Are you just planning on hosting game servers on this thing, or do you want to do actual gaming on the thing? If the latter, what games/resolution/graphics settings? If the former, how many servers? And do you need a lot of storage?

I plan on using this for server hosting only. Server rack is an option also. I would like to have 8+ drive bays. easy expansion. I can store all my modded worlds on the server. I won't run every single modded world at the same time though. I will have at least 2 servers running at any given time: One is the main mod pack I'm currently playing and one is a test world for said modpack.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I plan on using this for server hosting only. Server rack is an option also. I would like to have 8+ drive bays. easy expansion. I can store all my modded worlds on the server. I won't run every single modded world at the same time though. I will have at least 2 servers running at any given time: One is the main mod pack I'm currently playing and one is a test world for said modpack.

If you were to go for all new parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Mushkin Essentials 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.95 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($32.79 @ Directron)
Total: $396.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 19:58 EDT-0400

And here's a build based off of prices for used stuff. This one I'm proud of myself, but it took some tinkering. Some things of note. I threw in a PSU with room, since this is based off of older and, well, less efficient CPUs. The case has room for up to 11 drives, and the board comes with support for 6 SATA devices, with more possible if you throw in a PCI-E to SATA adapter. The CPUs are each hexacores with hyperthreading, giving you 24 threads. And there is no graphics, so you'll need to buy an el cheapo HD 5450 or something for display output.

And lastly, you don't need to buy both Xeons. You should be able to just get one and it'll still work fine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: Mushkin Silverline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.95 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: Intel Xeon X5650 ($77.00)
Other: Intel Xeon X5650 ($77.00)
Other: Supermicro LGA 1366 dual socket motherboard ($110.00)
Total: $480.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 20:17 EDT-0400

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
It would work. What OS are you planing on for the server? If Windows, I would recommend something else that has more more cores to handle the OS. Using Linux that would be a great choice. Especially if you go headless on the server (command line interface via SSH only).

BeardlessBrady

Jul 29, 2019
It would work. What OS are you planing on for the server? If Windows, I would recommend something else that has more more cores to handle the OS. Using Linux that would be a great choice. Especially if you go headless on the server (command line interface via SSH only).
Well I actually already have a headless linux server. Just upgrading from https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/YV7CmG/intel-cpu-bx80662g4400 because the server lags whenever we load new chunks. Im going with a https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/tdmxFT/intel-cpu-bx80662i76700k now anyways. But thanks