Serious Problems with Relays

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Poketostorm

Jul 29, 2019
This is rather annoying... I'm having BC pipes pump cobblestone, gravel, dirt, and quartz crystals into a relay but after a while the relay just gets... stuck. It doesn't pump into the pneumatic tubes and everything sort of just clumps together inside the relay. I've spent the past 25 minutes looking for a case like mine and the one thing that sounded similar was a broken website. Help?

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
You've probably jammed the relay with something. Slap a chest on the tube line and whatever is jamming the system should flow to the chest.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
An item has no valid destination and has become jammed in the relay. Slonk a chest down at the end of the tube system and the relay will fix itself as whatever is jamming it should flow to the chest.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
did you both just feel the need to copy exactly what I said and reword it? For what? I don't get it...

I would like to point out that my post was actually a combination of the previous two. :p

To get into more detail on the problem, so that I actually feel like i'm contributing to the thread, Red power tube machines almost always have a red light on 4 sides around the output. Items only need to have a valid destination on time of insertion into the tube system, so a relay with 9 inv slots holding 9 cobble can shove all 9 stacks through a relatively long system where the cobble storage is at the very end. If the storage at the end has only enough room for 2 cobble, then 7 cobble stacks bounce back into the relay's red light buffer. The inventory slots will STILL be empty, but if you fill them, they will not be sent through the tubes until the relay has found a home for the items in its buffer.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to point out that my post was actually a combination of the previous two. :p
I feel like both posts were identicle to mine just worded differently

To get into more detail on the problem, so that I actually feel like i'm contributing to the thread, Red power tube machines almost always have a red light on 4 sides around the output. Items only need to have a valid destination on time of insertion into the tube system, so a relay with 9 inv slots holding 9 cobble can shove all 9 stacks through a relatively long system where the cobble storage is at the very end. If the storage at the end has only enough room for 2 cobble, then 7 cobble stacks bounce back into the relay's red light buffer. The inventory slots will STILL be empty, but if you fill them, they will not be sent through the tubes until the relay has found a home for the items in its buffer.
this however, is legitimately more in depth and not just playing scrabble with my post.

Reactions: Vovk

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like both posts were identicle to mine just worded differently.

Sorry for the confusion, I should not play jokes on forums where people are legitimately asking for help. I saw the response which was just a rewording of yours and thought it'd be funny to hash them both into a third identical response. I thought the word "slonk" gave it away :)

again, my apologies for any confusion and OP if you're still having the problem please post some screenshots so that we can see.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Chest at the end. Problem solved. I'm thinking this is probably what every other person on this thread said, but whatever. Or you could go the fancy way and have a block breaker breaking the Relay every 5 minutes and a transposer catching the items and sending then to a replaced relay.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
You wouldn't have. I combined your "plonk" and his "slap" from the two posts, as well as copy pasted words from both posts :D
lol so you were just taking the piss :p that's fair enough.
Chest at the end. Problem solved. I'm thinking this is probably what every other person on this thread said, but whatever. Or you could go the fancy way and have a block breaker breaking the Relay every 5 minutes and a transposer catching the items and sending then to a replaced relay.
Oh wow. Thanks for this new information that hasn't been said before...
/sarcasm

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019

:D I love that solution - overly complex and wonderfully inefficient. You would of course want the tube from the blockbreaker to the deployer to be shorter than the tube from the transposer to the new relay.

and of course a similar system to replace the transposer in case it jams too!

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
the transposer would lead to the relay. The tube system would be shorter from the block breaker to the deployer.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to add the bit about don't just put a chest at the end. Put a resrtiction tube and then a chest.

Only reason I say that is once and awhile the last stop will get pasted to the overflow chest if theres not a restriton tube there. it also means to can plop the chest down anywhere along your line and not required to have it at the end becuase the restriction tube counts at being something like +5000 spaces away

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
The chest is just a temporary fix to get the relay unjammed. Once the bad item is out the chest should be removed.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The chest is just a temporary fix to get the relay unjammed. Once the bad item is out the chest should be removed.

Na I would suggest leavign it in. to stop furture jammings. Just check in from time to time.

Poketostorm

Jul 29, 2019
No valid destination? Mostly, cobblestone is easily passing through the relay, then for no reason the relay just stops and starts accumulating the items. And I have plenty of space for those items in the barrels and a diamond pipe makes sure the only things going into that filter are items that can go into the barrel. I'm pretty sure those are valid destinations, because it was working fine before the relay decided to go AWOL on me. I have to break it and replace it to get it to work again. Also: Where should the chest go? (if this is exactly the problem you were talking about)

Attachments

• 2013-04-14_15.22.01.png
    2013-04-14_15.22.01.png
    526.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 2013-04-14_15.21.57.png
    2013-04-14_15.21.57.png
    955.1 KB · Views: 59