Sengir.... New farms ...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
There is a config setting in the later version of Forestry that can make the farms rectangular; although I'm not sure if it's shipped with the latest versions of FTB.

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
I run a new 5x5x4 peat farm on my server for fueling a boiler and a few engine that power the farm. Overall for the peat farm it doesnt seem that bad, peat at least feels like it has a good balance to it. Havent tried any other of the variants though. I'm on mindcrack. And if your worried about it being OP. Just make one farm and change all four sides to something different. You could limit it in that sense. But i mean if your chopping down sequoias in you tree farm its gonna be a little ridiculous either way.

Spachi1281

Jul 29, 2019
You can make fertilizer from saltpeter, which is nitrogen, potassium and compressed air. You can get the first two from electrolysing ender pearl dust, the third is just empty cells in a compressor. The electric workbench gives you the cells back. 16 ender pearls are 20 saltpeter, which is 40 fertilizer.

Which means that you can crank out 40 fertilizer every 65 seconds with a single electrolyzer and a tier 4-5 endermen soul cage.

It might be faster/more efficient to use apatite with 8x ashes to yield fertilizer. A full stack of ashes plus just 8 apatites equals 2 stacks of fertilizer.

The new farms are ok.. but i hate that the farmable shape is tilted 45 degrees to before. makes it so much harder to have nice even roads going between farm plots without having to waste a lot of the potential in a farm, or have big unused sections of land in the corners

Could you not place two whole sets of farm blocks close enough to each other that you get a continual even side at the expense of not being as "efficient"?

Reactions: Poppycocks

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
It might be faster/more efficient to use apatite with 8x ashes to yield fertilizer. A full stack of ashes plus just 8 apatites equals 2 stacks of fertilizer.
Eh, that means bothering with peat engines and quarries above 60 and stuff. Neither of which I'm very fond of. Soul shards + gtech OTOH is something I like to fiddle with, so this would be my method of choice. As a matter of fact, the fact that I can do it this way as opposed to bothering with peat makes me want to use the new farms :). Also, this method is self-sustaining.

However, all that is a matter of opinion / comfort zones. So yeah, to each their own.

Thanks for mentioning it though.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

Could you not place two whole sets of farm blocks close enough to each other that you get a continual even side at the expense of not being as "efficient"?

the ashes for double the fertilizer from apatite thing makes peat farms and peat fired engines a much more attractive option now... the only downside being the intense usage of copper. esp. with the gregtech nerf to the bronze from ingots recipe. but that is not all that painful... the farms itself don't use bronze anymore, so we aren't needing it as much for machine frames now.

One could use 2 3x3 farms and fill in a bigger area, and make it look kinda squareish, but the efficiency hit is aweful. looking back at the shape of the covered area. i see another option for a megafarm in the center, and small farms in each corner to fill in the remainder of the area as an option as well.

farms.jpg

Like this maybe? A pretty big efficiency hit on the 4 corner farms, but fills most of the available area.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Well, talking about space efficiency in a potentially unlimited world is a bit pointless. To me the matter is more aesthetic: they just look awful to me but hey, who am I to judge the work of a guy who made one of the most awesome mod ever developed?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Horizontal space efficiency is a very good point, when we're talking about how many chunks do I need to keep loaded on a busy server.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
The new farms are ok.. but i hate that the farmable shape is tilted 45 degrees to before. makes it so much harder to have nice even roads going between farm plots without having to waste a lot of the potential in a farm, or have big unused sections of land in the corners
There is a configuration option in the newer versions of Forestry to change to make it go square.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
But I like my giant cube house. Man.

And my apple farms aren't producing crap... lol.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, that means bothering with peat engines and quarries above 60 and stuff. Neither of which I'm very fond of. Soul shards + gtech OTOH is something I like to fiddle with, so this would be my method of choice. As a matter of fact, the fact that I can do it this way as opposed to bothering with peat makes me want to use the new farms :). Also, this method is self-sustaining.

However, all that is a matter of opinion / comfort zones. So yeah, to each their own.

Thanks for mentioning it though.
You don't have to quarry for the new apatite. You can easily find it on the surface in rocky areas. I found 4 veins in an Alpine biome all sneakily under the snow but some of it showing on the side. Just one of these veins is enough for so long that you're wondering why you even have to do the work as it's practically infinite.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I now regret making those chunk loaders for my server. :[ Gonna have to go pretty far to find the new apatite veins...

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I now regret making those chunk loaders for my server. :[ Gonna have to go pretty far to find the new apatite veins...
Doesn't matter. Take a fort 3 pick and get 10-20 stacks of it per vein.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't matter. Take a fort 3 pick and get 10-20 stacks of it per vein.
you get 10 - 20 stacks per vein even before you use a fortune pick on it. with furtune, what you get is a chock full inventory, so grab a couple of those redpower bags before you go derping around after it.
I dunno if apatite uses the glowstone logic for fortune, or the coal/redstone/lapis logic. if the first, then it's capped at 5 per ore, if the latter, then you might get as many as 20 from a single block. (average drop increase of 120% with fortune 3) I guess i need to start enchanting again and get me a fortune pick and go try it out... I just hate all that xp farming soo much.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
you get 10 - 20 stacks per vein even before you use a fortune pick on it. with furtune, what you get is a chock full inventory, so grab a couple of those redpower bags before you go derping around after it.
I dunno if apatite uses the glowstone logic for fortune, or the coal/redstone/lapis logic. if the first, then it's capped at 5 per ore, if the latter, then you might get as many as 20 from a single block. (average drop increase of 120% with fortune 3) I guess i need to start enchanting again and get me a fortune pick and go try it out... I just hate all that xp farming soo much.
TC dungeon + grav/portal gun. 20 minutes to 30 at most. Also it uses lapis logic I believe.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for going a bit off topic, go on youtube and look for SethBling "Poor Man Endermen Farm". Easiest xp farm.

I know about it. but it's obsolete in ftb. it's far easier to just fill up a soulshard and use an enderman spawner. There is plenty of endermen in the end. It still feels cheezy tho. and exploitive. that is my main beef with this kind of thing. having to grind mobs in this manner annoys me.

I'm still an automated chicken farm and some machines away from conquering the end in my current world tho. unless i find a skelly spawner first. Been playing around with turtles and making myself a cozy dwarven fortress style base underground. nothing automated yet, because the manual farms are a feature of my overall design. i want it to have a progression where the "dwarves" did everything the old way until some bright fella invented the really nice machinery for autmating everything. the best way to stick with such a design is to wait with the autostuff until I'm done building the manual farms and attendant infrastructure. like water cisterns and aquaducts.
almost done with the main staircase and the first agricultural sector. (long hallways with manual farms in rooms on either side of it)
Got to make a living area next, and a dining hall/kitchen area.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I know about it. but it's obsolete in ftb. it's far easier to just fill up a soulshard and use an enderman spawner. There is plenty of endermen in the end. It still feels cheezy tho. and exploitive. that is my main beef with this kind of thing. having to grind mobs in this manner annoys me.

I'm still an automated chicken farm and some machines away from conquering the end in my current world tho. unless i find a skelly spawner first. Been playing around with turtles and making myself a cozy dwarven fortress style base underground. nothing automated yet, because the manual farms are a feature of my overall design. i want it to have a progression where the "dwarves" did everything the old way until some bright fella invented the really nice machinery for autmating everything. the best way to stick with such a design is to wait with the autostuff until I'm done building the manual farms and attendant infrastructure. like water cisterns and aquaducts.
almost done with the main staircase and the first agricultural sector. (long hallways with manual farms in rooms on either side of it)
Got to make a living area next, and a dining hall/kitchen area.

Place a few golems in the farms- they kinda look like dwarfs.

Reactions: Antice