Sengir.... New farms ...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
So I replaced my old farms with Max size new ones.

The tree farm is insane period, I thought these new farms were supposed to be slower than the old ones?

I amassed 12 stacks of saplings in about 30 mins, my apple output is increased by I don't know how much from a trickle on the old farm to almost non-stop apples.

I'm just wondering if I accidentally found a bug, I didn't realise that the default farm was a tree one, so I made a managed circuit with 4 x arboretum and put that in. The output from this is ... just.... wow.

To quote a player who was watching my stream

"well, if that's Sengir's idea of slower... he's living in a different time continuum than us!"

To go over again

Max size farm, with arboretum circuit in, using humus and plain oak saplings.

In the time I wrote this I have another full stack of saplings come in. The farm is instantly growing trees!!

Who needs orchards with this rate of apples.....

Oh and power, well yeah really giving it some, it's hooked up to a tesseract with 7 biogas engines on the other end of it.

Edit - if you want to watch the recording it's here http://www.twitch.tv/b0bst3r/b/365112212

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
- Bugfix: Fixed duplication bug in farms when collecting windfall.

This is what I am experiencing by any chance?

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of practical output (I've been using versions of Forestry past FTB's for ages now) the new farms have output roughly equivalent to the old ones, assuming you use a farm of the same size.

The difference is that it's no longer possible to create a completely automatic self-sustaining loop with the new farms thanks to the added fertilizer requirement, and the more desirable resource farms eat through fertilizer like water. That'll be your real problem when dealing with the new farms: keeping your fertilizer levels up.

The pumpkin and melon farms are utterly useless now though unfortunately, but I'm hoping that's an oversight on Sengir's part. They're not re-tilling the soil after a pumpkin/melon grows which means they just quickly exhaust their available farmland. If I have to manually hoe the land I might as well use a vanilla farm! :(

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
You do know that you don't need tilled soil to grow a pumpkin or a melon, right?

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
It has been said a few times that the output of apples and saplings is about 2 to 4 time higher then intended due to the bug you mentioned. Basically the farms are duping the items they collect and it is fixed in a future version.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
You do know that you don't need tilled soil to grow a pumpkin or a melon, right?

If that's true it must be a recent change.

Specifically, at least as long as I've been using them in vanilla and in FTB, to grow a pumpkin/melon successfully you need a piece of tilled farmland next to the full grown plant stalk for it to place the pumpkin or melon. The farmland is reduced to dirt when this happens and this is what's causing the problem.

Hawcian

Jul 29, 2019

Specifically, at least as long as I've been using them in vanilla and in FTB, to grow a pumpkin/melon successfully you need a piece of tilled farmland next to the full grown plant stalk for it to place the pumpkin or melon. The farmland is reduced to dirt when this happens and this is what's causing the problem.

According to the wiki (since I couldn't remember when exactly it changed), you could use plain dirt blocks since...1.1, over a year ago. To be fair, a lot of people seemed to have missed that change.

Reactions: shockwave95

Hadrian

Jul 29, 2019

Mojang definitely changed that in 1.1 or 1.2. At least as far as vanilla pumpkin/melon farms go. Yet in FTB I still don't need a tilled plot for the melon or pumpkin to grow on.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I'd believe you if I hadn't noticed a substantial dropoff in farm output once most of the farmland had returned to dirt... hm. :|

I checked the wiki and you're right, so thanks for that, but now I'm wondering if having farmland nearby ups the growth rate.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of practical output (I've been using versions of Forestry past FTB's for ages now) the new farms have output roughly equivalent to the old ones, assuming you use a farm of the same size.

The difference is that it's no longer possible to create a completely automatic self-sustaining loop with the new farms thanks to the added fertilizer requirement, and the more desirable resource farms eat through fertilizer like water. That'll be your real problem when dealing with the new farms: keeping your fertilizer levels up.

The pumpkin and melon farms are utterly useless now though unfortunately, but I'm hoping that's an oversight on Sengir's part. They're not re-tilling the soil after a pumpkin/melon grows which means they just quickly exhaust their available farmland. If I have to manually hoe the land I might as well use a vanilla farm! :(
You can make fertilizer from saltpeter, which is nitrogen, potassium and compressed air. You can get the first two from electrolysing ender pearl dust, the third is just empty cells in a compressor. The electric workbench gives you the cells back. 16 ender pearls are 20 saltpeter, which is 40 fertilizer.

Which means that you can crank out 40 fertilizer every 65 seconds with a single electrolyzer and a tier 4-5 endermen soul cage.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang definitely changed that in 1.1 or 1.2. At least as far as vanilla pumpkin/melon farms go. Yet in FTB I still don't need a tilled plot for the melon or pumpkin to grow on.

I think you are mixing stuff. To grow the stem you do need a tilled plot. But it places the melon/pumpkin next to it and that can be plain dirt and I cannot remember you 'needing' a tilled plot there since forever.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
A FULL SIZE farm?

Remember, these farms are a lot bigger (space efficient)- full size is about 180 blocks.
-more than twice that of the old style tree farm.​
And there's a sapling on every block, instead of every other block- so more than 4x the trees.​
Also tree height/size isnt capped- so 4x trees which can be a hell of a lot bigger than the old style trees.​

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually waiting for the NEI plugin for Forestry 2.x, but from DW's spotlight the new farms looks awesome.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
They're an interesting design but ultimately they're one giant nerfbat. After having seen for myself how incredibly exploitable the old farms were despite their high cost of entry I can understand the change.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately the tree and orchard farms are too buggy to allow in the current FTB mindcrack/dw20 packs. We could do with another mod pack update quickly as the bug with windfall is kinda OP.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
The new farms are ok.. but i hate that the farmable shape is tilted 45 degrees to before. makes it so much harder to have nice even roads going between farm plots without having to waste a lot of the potential in a farm, or have big unused sections of land in the corners

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
The new farms are ok.. but i hate that the farmable shape is tilted 45 degrees to before. makes it so much harder to have nice even roads going between farm plots without having to waste a lot of the potential in a farm, or have big unused sections of land in the corners

I know its minecraft and all but I think it might be time to think outside the box heh. Use those areas at the corners. Make ponds or gardens or just fill them in with more of your road material of choice.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Pumpkins and melons need a grass or dirt block next to it for the fruit to spawn. If one if going vanilla then your nest bet is a water block and on either the z or x axis have it lined with sand for four blocks on either side. Then till the dirt along the same axis and plant the seeds on both sides of the sand line. The fruit will then grow and spawn the dirt/grass.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I know its minecraft and all but I think it might be time to think outside the box heh. Use those areas at the corners. Make ponds or gardens or just fill them in with more of your road material of choice.

I mostly use vanilla farms as it is for my food needs. mostly laid out and purdified as some kind of garden. Autofarms are generally for products one need a lot of, and since their purpose is industrial i tend towards giving them an industrialized look. a gridlike road network between the farms kinda fits that look.

Time to rethink the old habits I guess. I wish they at least would have been round. a round tower of biomass excessiveness would work.. they are not that far from round as is... hmmm....

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Unfortunately the tree and orchard farms are too buggy to allow in the current FTB mindcrack/dw20 packs. We could do with another mod pack update quickly as the bug with windfall is kinda OP.
There is nothing unfortunate about it. Simply do not use the new farms until they are fixed. Dw20 pack is not based in some arbitrary idea of balance FYI.