[SEMI-SOLVED] "In place" hover using IC2 jet packs?

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
What the title says. This isn't possible, right?

Ofc, if I used
  1. Thaumic harness, or,
  2. MPS
then, problem solved. But, are there any other enterprising ideas on how to achieve this (Let's use the DW mod pack for our lods list to be used)?

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Call it bump, call it giving an answer, whatever...

The Simply Jetpacks mod actually addresses the issue of "creative flight" type hover. The highest tier jetpack gives you such a slow hover decay, it almost feels like you are hovering in place.

For a better visual explanation of the jet pack's "in-place hover" capabilities, see this (yet another) excellent mod spotlight of @Vaygrim on Simply Jetpacks

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
The mechanic of the IC2 jetpack in hover mode is great for aerial combat (such as ghast hunting) but not for building. Most flight options will either give you creative flight or a slow fall/glide, but not both. IC2's also has a limited height (something just short of the slime islands iirc) and a short duration before needing to recharge.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
The mechanic of the IC2 jetpack in hover mode is great for aerial combat (such as ghast hunting) but not for building. Most flight options will either give you creative flight or a slow fall/glide, but not both. IC2's also has a limited height (something just short of the slime islands iirc) and a short duration before needing to recharge.

Thanks for chiming in, man. Appreciate it. :)

Interesting that you mention ghast hunting and IC2 jetpacks. I do find it very annoying to aim a bow-arrow, stay still in one place using the IC2 pack, in order to get a few accurate shots at that oversized crybaby. I've borrowed a fellow player;s thaumic harness, than suddenly it is a case of airborne nirvana. Simply Jetpacks' resonant backpack is close to that kind of gameplay mechanic.

The "slow fall" you speak of is not "slow enough" for doing practical things like building a stone steps in ravines, etc.. There is good reason for full mod capabilities of Morph mod being banned in servers. But until simply Jetpacks, we didn't have a tech mod that offered a semblance of pure "in place" hover, it seems.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
I found it easier to dodge incoming fire balls when I could just release the key to drop & was otherwise constantly bouncing up & down. The hover mode is slow enough to build a column down from the ceiling by holding down the right click (place block) & falling, but not good for much else in building. I've just recently started using the Modular Power Suit, & I'm loving it now that I've figured out how to not suddenly overheat & die. I haven't tried the parachute option for slow fall, but I'm using the flight control option for creative flight a lot in my current void base build.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
MPS has had in place hover capability since 1.5.2. But a lot of players hate it due to it being "op" or "lack of creative flight because they don't know how to use the tinker table to configure their MPS".

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
MPS has had in place hover capability since 1.5.2. But a lot of players hate it due to it being "op" or "lack of creative flight because they don't know how to use the tinker table to configure their MPS".

^^ True! Getting tired of "OP" being thrown around all the time like some universal catch-all

But, like I mentioned before, I was keen if I had missed anything other than those two obvious ones I mentioned at the beginning.

Reactions: trajing

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks everyone for dropping by and leaving your suggestions. As I also pointed out in my post:
(Let's use the DW mod pack for our mods list to be used)?

That kind of puts the dampener on some of the mods being suggested :(

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
If you're building, why not drop down an angel block?
Because angel blocks didn't exist the last time I relied on an IC2 jetpack, & if I'm building a mob farm drop tower, it is easy to pillar up 1 column, then pillar down the next using a slow-fall mechanic, much like holding down shift-s-right-click to bridge across.

I originally dismissed MPS as being over-complicated when I already had the advanced nano stuff from GraviSuite. IMHO, IC2 isn't even worth installing without GraviSuite.