Seeking: Getting Started Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I might do RedPower or Computercraft but

1. How far into RedPower do you want me to go. Do you want me to write about all the logic gates and the computer section in red power control or just the machines and piping system.
2. Since there isn't a large amount of items in ComputerCraft would you like me to provide some tutorials like how to make a password-protected door or make a mining turtle clear an area of land. And would it be OK to refer them to other Lua tutorials on other websites so they can learn how to program without referring to guides.

P.S. I might not be able to write this until a week into the new year due to other commitments

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
CC is my specialty so I will probably write that one on my own.

For RP, just cover things that can quickly be useful like the basic machines. No need to get into control, gates, or even frames for the getting started.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
so for RP2 the tools (sickel, gem as material for tools&armor, (sonic) screwdriver), the alloy furnace and an overview of the basic blutricity machines and how to generate it (solar farm and thermopiles)

Alp4Stallard

Jul 29, 2019
I'm up for doing BC or RP2. I seem to only ever play mods until I get a lot of resources.

I have designs for RP2-EnderChest rechargers. All the recipes for the Alloy Furnaces are commited to memory at this point. I'm awful at forth. Even though I'm a programmer I seem to suck at anything other than C and Java :p

Buildcraft is simple in comparison. Tell me the highest tech level to go up to and I'll get on writing it :)

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
For BC I'd probably go all the way to a quarry, so that would include engines, pumps, and should probably include autocrafting tables. Probably also water/lava/oil/fuel and the refinery

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
And here it is: Thaumcraft 3 Getting Started. I haven't covered a few things, like the iscription table. I think it will be discovered throug research. Is it good?
I want to remember once again I'm still studying English. I'm sure in my guide there are a lot of errors :). Please let me know how bad is my english. I'm hoping my guide will be useful.

Shalen

Thank you for writing this guide. Your english isn't too bad. I'll have to fix some grammar but not much. the guide is a little picture heavy so I'll probably consolidate some. We also want the guides to not be in first person, so I'll be changing that around. But the content you covered (world gen, essences, research, and crafting in the crucible) is great.

Alex4ndre

Jul 29, 2019
I've made a French Getting Started Guide on IC and BuildCraft.
You can find it there :
http://minecraft.fr/tutoriel-feed-the-beast-ep-3/
http://minecraft.fr/tutoriel-feed-the-beast-episode-2/
http://minecraft.fr/tutoriel-tekkitftb-episode-1/

It is planned to have 15-20 episodes.

I don't know if you prefer doing the guide in english and then we just translate it or making the guides language by language.
But I had to mention this work :)

Moreover, there is a ton of French YT videos about FTB (around 100k views each), do you plan to include some videos to "illustrate" the guides ?

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I am up to the section in my RedPower tutorial about wires, but what would be a good purpose of using wires in survival. If someone can help me get an idea that would be great. After I put that in it should be done.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
I am up to the section in my RedPower tutorial about wires, but what would be a good purpose of using wires in survival. If someone can help me get an idea that would be great. After I put that in it should be done.
There's a ton of things redstone wiring helps with that are useful in survival. Automated farm harvesting (water held back by pistons), lighting systems (redstone or redpower), cool doorway setups... the list goes on. :)

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I have created my RedPower Tutorial finally. I am pretty happy with the result but I had to leave some parts of it out due to the length (block breakers and deployers), although it may already be too long. Its probably got some inaccurate information, but I drafted it and I couldn't see any. The pictures also turned out a bit funny so if you want higher resolution photos I will be glad to email them or put them on imgur.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-JrEPnTD9nBMHo4RjBUSVBoMGc/edit

Reactions: DanteGalileo

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
I have created what i believe is a fairly through guide to starting out in the Twilight Forest, i have it on a pastebin.

Found a nifty little info tonight that could be part of the Twilight Forest wiki. I have no idea if it is common knowledge since the official minecraftforum.net thread only quickly mentions the existance of rainbow trees:

Planting a Canopy tree sapling can result in two kind of trees. If grown with bonemeal it will become a Canopy tree, but if it is left to grow over time, it becomes the nifty Rainbow tree.

No idea if this is a bug or not in the 1.14 version however, since Rainbow trees might be found naturally in the Enchanted Forest biome (never found one myself to verify, any of you have?).

Sirbab

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry that i haven't been active guys, been really busy with my navy training, If someone wants to pick up my guide and fix it up, that would be great. (i realize it has quite a few issues, my apologies, it was around 4 am when i wrote it) And Greytusks, Hmm, i haven't personally seen them in the versions of ftb, but how about you go ahead and find out for us eh?

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry that i haven't been active guys, been really busy with my navy training, If someone wants to pick up my guide and fix it up, that would be great. (i realize it has quite a few issues, my apologies, it was around 4 am when i wrote it) And Greytusks, Hmm, i haven't personally seen them in the versions of ftb, but how about you go ahead and find out for us eh?

Did a bit of search tonight and found an enchanted forest. They do indeed have a few native Rainbow trees in them, which is probably the normal way to get the Rainbow tree saplings, making me think the canopy sapling thing is a bug.

The enchanted forest also has a 'quest ram'. Feeding him colored wool makes stripes of various colors (the colors you fed him) appear on it. After he's been fed all of the colors of wool, he drops a block of diamond, gold, lapis, emerald and iron, as well as a 'crumble horn'.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Did a bit of search tonight and found an enchanted forest. They do indeed have a few native Rainbow trees in them, which is probably the normal way to get the Rainbow tree saplings, making me think the canopy sapling thing is a bug.

The enchanted forest also has a 'quest ram'. Feeding him colored wool makes stripes of various colors (the colors you fed him) appear on it. After he's been fed all of the colors of wool, he drops a block of diamond, gold, lapis, emerald and iron, as well as a 'crumble horn'.

a crumple horned snorkak?

Reactions: arkangyl

SunnyDaze

Jul 29, 2019
This might be the wrong place to report this, but the Thermal Expansion Getting Started Guide on the official wiki *incorrectly* cites me(?!) as the author. I did not write the Thermal Expansion Getting Started Guide -- ShneekeyTheLost did.

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
This might be the wrong place to report this, but the Thermal Expansion Getting Started Guide on the official wiki *incorrectly* cites me(?!) as the author. I did not write the Thermal Expansion Getting Started Guide -- ShneekeyTheLost did.
Fixed, not sure how that happened :)

I'll be spending a lot more time this coming week reviewing and editing the articles that have been submitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.