Seeking: Getting Started Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
For me the mirrors are just a "fun" power system. It's solar, but with enough investment that it feels like it isn't free.

The furnace heaters are, likewise, a mechanic that is not anywhere else that I have seen. It shifts a block from working as it always has, to working on this new power grid in a new way.

Inventive, that's the key word when I describe factorisation to other people.

The block maker does what could be done with a crafting table, or an auto crafting table, true, but it does it differently. I've got to give credit for that.

I do expect more from the crystaliser over time, the fact that it can do slimeballs now is nice as well.

Nice. "Not required but nice" I feel that would be another very often said thing in my description of this. If it could do the 'grind, wash, crystal' with gregtech irridium ore, I think people would swarm it.

SunnyDaze

Jul 29, 2019
ShneekeyTheLost - If you don't like the mod, that's fine. I personally have not used much beyond the pocket crafting table and barrels, so I'm not trying to sing the praises of Factorization. But no one forced you to write a Starter Guide for a mod you dislike, and I simply wanted to point out that it's pretty evident you don't like it from your writing. Starter Guides should probably be as unbiased as possible, no? If they are negative, it discourages others from finding out if they like it for their own reasons.

We can disagree on the usefulness of barrels, but I don't think there's any debate that saying a single barrel is barely comparable to a double chest because it's only 10 more stacks, is misleading lol. ;)

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
For right now we want to get all of the Getting Started guides done, and a landing page for each mod as well. After that is done we'll focus on inter-mod articles, comparing engines for example.

Shalen

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone, I just joined the FTB Forum but I have followed it since its creation. I want to ask if I can contribute writing some articles following the rules you have written even if this is only my second post. If the answer is "yes", from where can I start? I read the discussion and you seem to have covered... everything :(. If the answer is "no"... well, I hope this won't be the answer :)

However, I whis you a merry christmas from the bottom of my heart :D

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone, I just joined the FTB Forum but I have followed it since its creation. I want to ask if I can contribute writing some articles following the rules you have written even if this is only my second post. If the answer is "yes", from where can I start? I read the discussion and you seem to have covered... everything :(. If the answer is "no"... well, I hope this won't be the answer :)

However, I whis you a merry christmas from the bottom of my heart :D
Firstly, Merry Christmas!
Secondly, yes, you can feel free to submit anything you'd like that we have requested for the wiki, including any getting started guides we already have submissions for. We may like yours better, or we may combine several people's contributions in to one awesome guide.
Finally, we will need many more articles than what we have requested here. We need articles for every item in the game! We will be posting more threads in this section asking for other contributions as we need them. Wait and see what we request, and feel free to take a crack at any of it.

Lord.of.life

Jul 29, 2019
You should answer more questions in the first thread like:
"I want a wiki account, where do I apply?"
"I wrote article for mod A about feature B, but the team is not seeking it specifically, where do I submit?"
"Where do I give feedback concerning the wiki content/management."

Generally that's the point, it might even be a simple Q/A but it needs to be concise and contain information people are interested in.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
1. The wiki is closed; only wiki team members can freely access the wiki. Other community involvement will be handled in this section of the forums.

2. We are only taking submissions for requested articles at this time. If you feel like you can improve on an existing article, message one of the wiki team members.

3. You can message any of the wiki team members on the forums here. Jadedcat is the team leader, but the individual members are likely to have more free time for answering messages.

Lord.of.life

Jul 29, 2019
1. The wiki is closed; only wiki team members can freely access the wiki. Other community involvement will be handled in this section of the forums.

2. We are only taking submissions for requested articles at this time. If you feel like you can improve on an existing article, message one of the wiki team members.

3. You can message any of the wiki team members on the forums here. Jadedcat is the team leader, but the individual members are likely to have more free time for answering messages.

Precisely, this needs a separate thread :)

Reactions: QueWhat

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Sidestepping the wiki team and directly messaging me would not be a wise plan. The team was picked because they are good at what they do. I am an ideas and direction person. If you message me it may go unanswered for days before being passed back to an appropriate team member.

Shalen

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, Merry Christmas!
Secondly, yes, you can feel free to submit anything you'd like that we have requested for the wiki, including any getting started guides we already have submissions for. We may like yours better, or we may combine several people's contributions in to one awesome guide.
Finally, we will need many more articles than what we have requested here. We need articles for every item in the game! We will be posting more threads in this section asking for other contributions as we need them. Wait and see what we request, and feel free to take a crack at any of it.

Thanks for the opportunity. I read the guide posted in this page and find 'em very good: I don't think I could do better. However, there is any translation project going on or planned? I'm italian and can eventually translate the ended pages of the wiki to italian...

Fadedeathdave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of having a go at a guide for a major mod, but what mods are left to do, if any?
Also, as it's a getting started guide, what stage should it stop?

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of having a go at a guide for a major mod, but what mods are left to do, if any?
Also, as it's a getting started guide, what stage should it stop?
I've updated the list on the first post based on what guides we've received. What amounts to a getting started is different for each mod. But as a general guide, something the player could accomplish in a few hours dedicated to that mod

Reactions: Fadedeathdave

Shalen

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I'll go with Thaumcraft. Today GMT +1 time I don't have any time, but I should upload it tomorrow in the afternoon. Is it ok?
Warning: I'm not as good as a mother tongue and my guide may (and will) contain some error. Please check it after I post the link and tell me any error.

--- EDIT ---
Currently 70% of the getting started is done. I've talked about the mod in general, Aura, Flux, WorldGen (trees, flowers and ores) and first items (wand of apprentice and thaumonomicon). I have still to cover research and the crucible. Maybe I'll end it this evening GMT.

Shalen

Jul 29, 2019
And here it is: Thaumcraft 3 Getting Started. I haven't covered a few things, like the iscription table. I think it will be discovered throug research. Is it good?
I want to remember once again I'm still studying English. I'm sure in my guide there are a lot of errors :). Please let me know how bad is my english. I'm hoping my guide will be useful.

Shalen

Cieronph

Jul 29, 2019
And here it is: Thaumcraft 3 Getting Started. I haven't covered a few things, like the iscription table. I think it will be discovered throug research. Is it good?
I want to remember once again I'm still studying English. I'm sure in my guide there are a lot of errors :). Please let me know how bad is my english. I'm hoping my guide will be useful.

Shalen

It's a really well noted wiki however the minecraft forums thing at the top kinda makes me feel odd about where you actually got your content from?

Shalen

Jul 29, 2019
It's a really well noted wiki however the minecraft forums thing at the top kinda makes me feel odd about where you actually got your content from?
That was just to try and get the Thaumcraft logo, I think. I'm not certain though

Yes, it's only the Thaumcraft logo. I thought it was his place. I didn't copied and pasted anything. Go and watch the TC3 post on minecraft forum: it doesn't say anything. If the logo isn't ok, I'll remove it, let me know. Besides, that "minecraft forums thing" is simply the HTML code Azanor gave us to include his banner in our webpages. However, how is my english? Is it good enough to wrote wikis? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.