Seed Oil or Low Efficiency Biofuel?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I have a major surplus of two items, Melon and Pumpkin Seeds. I'm weighing two options right now but don't know which would give me the most bang for my buck. Does anyone have a feel for which of these is going to give better power output?

Melon & Pumpkin Seeds >> Squeezers >> Seed Oil >> Biogas Engines >> MJ
OR
Melon & Pumpkin Seeds >> Bioreactor >> Biofuel >> Biogfuel Generator >> MJ

Also, is the Biofuel created by a Bioreactor compatible with Forestry's Biogenerator? Thanks!

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Depends of you want a bang upwards (Biogen) in power or a trickle (Biogas Eng) upwards.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Biogas engine using seed oil = 3MJ/t
MFR Biofuel Gen = 16MJ/t

Whether you will maintain the BioGen with just 2 seeds is another story, depends how much demand of power on your system there is.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
[DOUBLEPOST=1381415241][/DOUBLEPOST]
What he means is: use MFR instead, because who cares about balance anyway? :p
I'm using MFR, that's the Bioreactor option. I already have bioreactors running on 9 fuel types for max efficiency. My questions were:
1) Will a 2-fuel bioreactor fueling a bio generator be as efficient as a Squeezer making seed oil for a biogas engine?
2) Will the biofuel created by an MFR bioreactor burn in a Forestry Bio Generator (EU ouput)

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I went with 2 squid with 4 ranchers feeding bioreactors. Made so much biofuel I had to shut off the ranchers. I managed to fill a max size steel railcraft tank while heating up 5 max size HP boilers. Overkill I know but it was fun. Just for the fun of it I threw in about 12 unifiers to convert it to ethanol before dumping it to the tank. :p

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
That's cos the squid thing is borderline exploiting, but then there's already tons of threads about that all over the place.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, for a serious answer, since I just spontaneously remembered a conversation in the Forestry MCF thread from about 9-12 months ago:

Do not attempt to use seed oil for power production. After factoring in the energy need of the squeezer, the net result is negative - you're spending more MJ on making seed oil than you're getting back from burning it. This was done intentionally after seed oil power plants were a fad of the month in early 1.4. Sengir said he only added the option to use it in an engine in the first place as a kind of "small bonus on the side", not as an actually valid way to main base power.

Basically if you have the oil and don't know what to do with it, burning it is an option. But if you still need to squeeze the seeds, don't bother.

(Also, the net result IS positive on high yield squeezables, such as chestnuts. Basically anything that returns more than 33mb per squeezing run, IIRC.)

Reactions: AlanEsh

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Seed oil in biogas engines has been nerfed so hard its literally a waste of your time. You would be better off making biofuel. However if you want the best bang for your buck then you should make biofuel and pump it into a boiler. But to do that you will need a constant supply of the stuff.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
OK excess seeds will become Biofuel from another Bioreactor, Thanks!

So, does anyone know if this biofuel works in the EU-producing forestry biogenerator?

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
OK excess seeds will become Biofuel from another Bioreactor, Thanks!

So, does anyone know if this biofuel works in the EU-producing forestry biogenerator?

I'd just produce via MJ and run it through an electric engine. If I recall, that machine is incredibly inefficient.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Runo electric engines produce MJs not EU. Biogenerators use ethanol and turn it into EU. I am pretty sure biofuel wont work in a biogenerator however MFR has a block called the unifer and that will convert it 1:1 to ethanol.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Runo electric engines produce MJs not EU. Biogenerators use ethanol and turn it into EU. I am pretty sure biofuel wont work in a biogenerator however MFR has a block called the unifer and that will convert it 1:1 to ethanol.

Yeah, my head was somewhere else when I posted that. Doh! Thanks for the correction.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I think I'll just line up a series of decreasingly efficient Bioreactors (to handle the excess seeds and such), pipe the Bio Fuel output to a big iron tank, and then put a unifier on the bottom to keep a much smaller buffer tank of Ethanol available for EU on demand.

Thanks for the responses everyone.