running a 2 people server, can't get rid of lag

Flaeye

Jul 29, 2019
hello,

i am trying to play FTB Unleashed with my girlfriend and we are constantly having lag.

I run the server on the same computer I play on. It's specs are:

RAM: 4 GB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Windows 7

I know it's a very old outdated system but I am trying to have only 2 people play on it. So I was hoping this system would do.

We play on LAN, the server IP is 192.168.0.10 and I tried several starting scripts for example:
java -Xms2048M -Xmx2048m -XX:permSize=1024m -jar ftbserver.jar

The server keeps on saying:
[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
even when no client is connected.

Is there a solution other than get a better computer?

thank you!

surferconor425

Jul 29, 2019
At the moment it seems that your computer just isn't powerful enough. If you pastebin your log from the server and post a link we can see if it is anything else.

And as for your is there a solution other than getting a better computer. You could buy a server from a server hosting company or upgrade your computer to 8GB of ram instead of 4GB. However as you have only 4GB of ram there could also be the problem that you only have Windows 7 32 bit which means it can only run up to 4GB of ram so you would need to upgrade that to Windows 64 bit.

Last edited:

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Try not running it off the built in LAN option as I have a raspberry pi that holds 5 people before it lags with its godly 900mhz CPU. Running a actual minecraft server may get more resources dedicated to it CPU wise. Make sure to use spigot as your server.jar as well.

Flaeye

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you both for your replies! Looks like setting up my own little server is not going to be as easy as I hoped.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you both for your replies! Looks like setting up my own little server is not going to be as easy as I hoped.
All you have to do is download the minecraft server.jar from minecraft.net and run the .jar with something simple like java -Xmx1g -Xms1g -jar Server.jar

Then connect to localhost or 127.0.0.1 and your good to go. From there you can then replace the server.jar with mcpc and then get a WHOLE lot better performance.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
hello,

i am trying to play FTB Unleashed with my girlfriend and we are constantly having lag.

I run the server on the same computer I play on. It's specs are:

RAM: 4 GB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Windows 7

I know it's a very old outdated system but I am trying to have only 2 people play on it. So I was hoping this system would do.

We play on LAN, the server IP is 192.168.0.10 and I tried several starting scripts for example:
java -Xms2048M -Xmx2048m -XX:permSize=1024m -jar ftbserver.jar

The server keeps on saying:
[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
even when no client is connected.

Is there a solution other than get a better computer?

thank you!

Use this as your startup parameters:
Code:
java -server -Xms2048M -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=256m -jar ftbserver.jar nogui

Reactions: Flaeye

Flaeye

Jul 29, 2019
Use this as your startup parameters:
Code:
java -server -Xms2048M -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=256m -jar ftbserver.jar nogui

This solved it! Thank you very much DZCreeper!! I had not a single problem last night when testing it with these parameters, smooth client and server.

Reactions: DZCreeper