Ruined City biome?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dare2Win

Jul 29, 2019
That would be pretty awsome, but you would need so many different buildings, and it would take a while to make, but still none the less a cool idea

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I think this would be a great idea for a new biome. Roads, houses, warehouses, factories, skyscrapers, parks, all ancient and ruined and covered in vines and mossy stone like in Logan's Run. But with zombies. Imagine a whole biome like that, how awesome would that be?

You can sort of get that effect using the Ruins mod by AtomicStryker. It generates ruins as part of world gen, what generates is totally configurable per biome. You could allocate one type of biome to generate ruins, then modify the config to increase the chance of ruins being generated, which should result in that biome being filled with ruins/structures (dependent on there being space in the landscape).

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Maybe you could have the ruins generate like Nether fortresses so they are very rare.
Why would you want them to be rare? I wouldn't expect there to be valuable resources there, maybe the odd chest here and there with tools and food and books, although it would be cool if the houses had a bit of copper wire here and there, and the factories had redstone energy conduits and a few Buildcraft pipes that could be salvaged. Maybe, rarely, a stack of scrapboxes in a chest.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I guess it would depend on your idea of what the ruins would be like. I guess one idea would be to have small ruins that are reasonably common (a similar spawn rate to vanilla villages perhaps) or you could have very rare epic ruins (with cool loot!) that have a similar scale and rarity to nether fortresses. The rarer they are, the more exploration would be promoted which, admittedly, suits some play styles more than others.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, that would just add to the nightmare fuel that is Minecraft:
You're (almost) alone in this world, the survivors are stupid and cannot talk, monsters roam the land, dungeons create hordes, there are ABANDONED FREAKING MINES with POISONOUS SPIDERS inside the world, with floods and areas that are blocked, there is a version of hell that has something called a "fortress" - with even more monsters inside it, there is an alien dimension commanded by a dragon whose only entrance are in 3 strongholds that have prision cells and a library.
Ars Magica's diaries are also preety scary: there were people before you in this land. What happened to them?
Anything that contributes to creating the feel that the apocalypse has happened and humanity has been wiped out from the face of earth/developed itself to the stage of testificates is kinda scary.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
^^^Are you trying to give reasons why this shouldn't be done, or reasons why it would be perfect...?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
That would be an awesome biome.

Ruin city and could be fairly easy to steal the village gen code and make it larger and out of stone bricks/cricked/mossy.

Bett it would look sweet.

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
I did this once...kind of. You can download a map...I downloaded a huge metropolis map and you can apply this program to the world that will decay everything. Started a server, made everyone put on a Fallout texture pack and went to town. It was cool.

Kumorineko

Jul 29, 2019
I've been looking for exactly something like this. Lately i've been playing FTB with only wasteland-y type biomes able to spawn in, very apocalyptic.
I imagined a modern-ish style town the size of your average minecraft biome, small houses, suburb style would surround the edges, getting more dense with factories, stores, and apartments as you got closer to the city center.

However I should point this out!

MACE is a program you can use to generate a minecraft save with semi-random generated cities built into your game. You can choose the theme and the population (if any) of the city. And you can decide how many cities you want and how far apart they will be spaced.
The best part is that it only generates the chunks the cities spawn in on, meaning when you move the created save to your FTB folder and load it up, all the chunks outside the cities will still have all your modded ores and other things.

You can even create your own building templates for it to use, but for someone like me it's really confusing so I haven't attempted to create any yet. @.@

I've used it a bit before but haven't played around with it much yet.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
MACE is a program you can use to generate a minecraft save with semi-random generated cities built into your game. You can choose the theme and the population (if any) of the city. And you can decide how many cities you want and how far apart they will be spaced.
Nice, I played around with a dungeon generator that inserted dungeons into an existing map a while back before I started playing mods, that was fun.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on the side of super-rare huge ruins. Although much rarer than the nether fortresses, I walked into the nether and walked around the hill to find one in my last save. And there is only a couple of reasons I explore the nether, and that is one of them. Going nomadic for a few MC days for a ruined city would be awesome IMO.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
I'm on the side of super-rare huge ruins. Although much rarer than the nether fortresses, I walked into the nether and walked around the hill to find one in my last save. And there is only a couple of reasons I explore the nether, and that is one of them. Going nomadic for a few MC days for a ruined city would be awesome IMO.
Whereas I've been to the Nether on five different maps and spent hours (and lives) looking for them every time. Only once have I found a fortress within easy reach of the portal. Making stuff rare just introduces randomness that spoils people's fun.