Ruined City biome?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
You could probably do something like this with TerrainControl. Either set up a custom biome or add to existing biomes, but you'd need to use BO2\3's for it. The downside is that certain mod generated items (beehives) don't generate in the custom biomes, but I'm looking into using BO2's for those too.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I guess that one of the problems with having ruins as an entire biome is that the algorithm would have to cope with arbitrarily large areas, even infinite areas in the case of a Mystcraft ruins age.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Whereas I've been to the Nether on five different maps and spent hours (and lives) looking for them every time. Only once have I found a fortress within easy reach of the portal. Making stuff rare just introduces randomness that spoils people's fun.

I suppose it boils down to gameplay preference, but that's what the configs are for. I'm the kind of guy who likes to play large biomes in vanilla, huge expansive areas to explore is fun to me. That's why I mostly play open world games. I can understand that my opinion isn't law though, and that others prefer more concise and small worlds.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
In the case of TerrainControl, you've got a whole different slew of issues - it doesn't use the Forge Biome dictionary, so the custom biomes you create with it don't have Mystcraft pages. Nor does it generate biomes added by other mods - you have to recreate them using TC if you want them to generate.

It does, however, have a whole host of cool features - floating biomes, raising terrain generation height to 255, the object system (BO2\3) is powerful as well.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
You could probably do something like this with TerrainControl. Either set up a custom biome or add to existing biomes, but you'd need to use BO2\3's for it. The downside is that certain mod generated items (beehives) don't generate in the custom biomes, but I'm looking into using BO2's for those too.

That makes me think a new ruin bee would be nice to add, with a effect that promotes decay, radiation or hardiness.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, that would just add to the nightmare fuel that is Minecraft:
You're (almost) alone in this world, the survivors are stupid and cannot talk, monsters roam the land, dungeons create hordes, there are ABANDONED FREAKING MINES with POISONOUS SPIDERS inside the world, with floods and areas that are blocked, there is a version of hell that has something called a "fortress" - with even more monsters inside it, there is an alien dimension commanded by a dragon whose only entrance are in 3 strongholds that have prision cells and a library.
Ars Magica's diaries are also preety scary: there were people before you in this land. What happened to them?
Anything that contributes to creating the feel that the apocalypse has happened and humanity has been wiped out from the face of earth/developed itself to the stage of testificates is kinda scary.

Have you heard the new testificate sounds? Not only are the survivors stupid theyre also incoherent !