RP2 leaving X Stacks in Chest + 2 questions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,
1. I am looking for a way do leave on stack in an inventory and pumping the rest out. A Problem i got more than once. I mostly worked around it i think there must be a good not to complicated way of doing this.

2. Big problem for me is that rp does not know how many items are in the pipe. So if there is a sorter or transposer is feeding an inventory and there is no room it stops spitting out items..perfekt. But if there is 1 space it start spitting out items in the pipe till the inventory is filled. the rest bounces back in the buffer. The next time there is room everything gets spit out + extra items...building up large amounts of stuff over time.
So i tried building a back loop with a restriction tube...it stops it from building up this massive amount of items but i gut some always running in circles because of the back loop there is the chest with space.

3. I think with an item detector it is maybe possible to come over some of this problems. But i cant find a good tutorial for them. My self tests in creative mode with the item detector confused me more than that they helped.

So hope for some good tips.

LeC

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't know what exactly you want to achieve, therefore I'm shooting into the dark...

I wanted to have a sorting system where commonly used items (mainly ingots) are being sorted into chests for "manual" use, no big deal here. But I also wanted to have X amount of every sorted item being transfered to a designated ender chest. Why is that? Simple: whenever I create a contraption that needs, say, tin ingots, I just place the "tin ingots" ender chest anywhere in my world and can work from there.

After a bit of experimentation I found Managers are the way to go. When ingots come into my sorting system, they are being sorted into chests. This is achieved by filters: they suck items out of the tubes and put then into adjacent chests (small hole is on the chest side, big hole on the tube side, one stack of the appropriate item in the filter). Now every chest is connected to a Manager that is configured to "accept any number of this item" mode (I believe this is the one with the arrow), has one item in the GUI and a priority of "0".

This Manager is connected to yet another Manager, configured to "accept only exactly this number of items" mode (the default one), has for example three stacks of the item in the GUI and a priority of "1". And this manager is placed next to the designated ender chest.

So it's like this:
  • new item coming along
  • sorting items into chest (tube -> filter -> chest)
  • Manager checking if designated ender chest has what it needs. Refill if this is not the case.
I have also restriction tubes that connect the manager network with the regular sorting network. This makes sure that items that are not being needed by the ender chests are being brought back to the chest (the filter makes sure that there is always a path for this item; restriction tube makes sure that items don't flush back to the Manager network), and not being eaten somewhere.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
hmm you are right in this case. I don't know what special case i got where this would not work. For now i think question 1 is solved.Thanks for the help so far.