RP Sorting Noob

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
I've done very little with RP before now, so please excuse the noobishness of this question.

I am doing some testing with a basic sorting system, and have run aground. I have a row of Barrels, with RP Tubes connecting to the top, and at the end of the Barrels I have a Diamond Chest. The idea is that all items get pumped through the Tubes, and any item that has a Barrel will be deposited in the Barrel, whereas any item that does not will get sent to the Diamond Chest for manual sorting. The input is a regular Chest with a Transposer (theoretically) pumping items into the Tubes.

The problem is: it doesn't do anything. The Transposer is running, but no items get sent anywhere. I know I'm missing something obvious, but I don't know what. The pipe is connected to the bottom of the Transposer, too, by the way. I realize that looks iffy in the screenshot.

Screen:
2013-01-07_11.30.47_resized.png

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
The tube is connected to the side of the transposer. The way RP machines work is they have an entry side and exit that are directly across from each other. Basically your chest need to be on the opposite side of the pipe with the small hole facing the pipe and the larger hole toward the chest.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
The tube is connected to the side of the transposer. The way RP machines work is they have an entry side and exit that are directly across from each other. Basically your chest need to be on the opposite side of the pipe with the small hole facing the pipe and the larger hole toward the chest.
I think your transposer is aiming down. Put tube underneath?
That's how it's set up. The screenshot is from a bad angle, but the pipe actually goes underground there and comes up on the bottom of the Transposer.

2013-01-07_11.50.38_resized.png

2013-01-07_11.52.22_Resized.png

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
The tube is underneath already as stated.
Problem is different: Transposer needs to be turned 180°. Currently the input is the tube and the output is the chest.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
It still looks like the transposer is backward, meaning the tiny ejection hole is toward the chest and the larger hole that would pull items out is toward the tube... should be reversed

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure the transposer is the right way around? It looks like the input is at the bottom rather than the top. (I haven't been playing for a while, waiting for the Ultimate pack to rear its ugly head before I have yet another world restart, so am going on distant memory).

ETA: several people got in before me! So, looks like I was correct, what you need to do is click on it with the screwdriver to turn it around so the big hole is next to the chest.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
The tube is underneath already as stated.
Problem is different: Transposer needs to be turned 180°. Currently the input is the tube and the output is the chest.
It still looks like the transposer is backward, meaning the tiny ejection hole is toward the chest and the larger hole that would pull items out is toward the tube... should be reversed
Are you sure the transposer is the right way around? It looks like the input is at the bottom rather than the top. (I haven't been playing for a while, waiting for the Ultimate pack to rear its ugly head before I have yet another world restart, so am going on distant memory).
Little end is on top, big on the bottom.

ETA: Wow, I need to work on my reading comprehension today! Yep, flipping it fixed the issue. Knew it was something small. :D

2013-01-07_11.52.22_Resized.png

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
As I said. Input of the transposer currently is at the bottom, output at the top.
Transposer and filter can only pull directly from inventories. Pulling from a distance, i.e. through the tube network from the diamond chest, can only be done via retriever.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
Yea the big end should be toward the chest. It ejects items out of the small end.
The big end is where it takes the items in, and it shoots them out the small end, so you need to turn it around :)
As I said. Input of the transposer currently is at the bottom, output at the top.
Transposer and filter can only pull directly from inventories. Pulling from a distance, i.e. through the tube network from the diamond chest, can only be done via retriever.
Yeah, I guess my dyslexia kicked in on that. :p I flipped it and it works great now. Thanks!

Reactions: Skirty_007