Rotarycraft in perspective: What other mods gate "fun tools"?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So an issue that people bring up regarding rotarycraft: It gates "fun tools" behind a significant amount of mod progression.

Some people say that they want to use those tools without having to invest in the tech tree of rotarycraft.

So I was wondering. I'm not that familiar with all the other mods out there. But there are two rather strange tech mods that I am slightly familiar with. One is a popular tech-mod based around various tiers of hand-held portable multi-tools with integrated, rechargable batteries -- with different tiers having better batteries, as well as add-ons to give slightly better battery performance. This mod also has a rather in-depth research system. And, some of the "more fun" tools are not available without progression in that system. Yet despite all this, I don't see that many people insisting that Thaumtech needs to support generic RF conversion and unlock all its toys.

Equally, there is "Blood Tech". And, I while I won't pretend to understand its power system, I do know that it's high-end tools and batteries makes the bedrock axe look under-powered.

Heck, there is Tinkerers' Iguanas Construct, that gates high-end tools behind hard to find nether materials, construction of multiple blocks and multi-blocks, repetitive tech upgrades, etc.

So my question(s) is/are:

1. What other mods have toys hidden behind in-mod progression,
2. Why would people attack RoC, and not those other mods,
3. What would people think of add-on mods for those mods that removed some of that tech gating -- for example, changing that TIC mod to remove the need for almost everything, even letting a vanilla diamond pick mine almost all of those resources, or letting the upgraded worktable be made from cheap vanilla iron blocks, eliminating that tech tree gating? Maybe, as a simpler version, it would be referred to with a lower-case I, as just "TiC"?

Side note: Yes, I am looking at Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, and Iguana's tweaks for TiC. I'm probably looking specifically at Jaded's tweaks to IgT of TiC; I have only used TiC in Jaded's packs, and don't really know it outside of that. All of these have a significant internal tech tree. There are probably other mods that have similar issues; these are simply the three that I know of.

Why do people want to bypass RoC's tree, yet not have massive issues with these other mods that also have internal trees? I'm asking for one simple reason: I don't understand.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'm certain more people would kick up issues if the fun tools were easy to get.

1. What other mods have toys hidden behind in-mod progression
EE2 (EE3/P:E??), Thaumcraft 2/3/4+ Add ons, Botania, GregTech, BtW/BtB, Ars Magica, Blood Magic, Twilight Forest...
In other words, almost every mod that adds interesting toys.​

3. What would people think of add-on mods for those mods that removed some of that tech gating
I'm sat here thinking oh sweet [deity of choice] not this shit again. If there is anything that came out of the last discussions it is Never. Screw. With. Another Dev's. Mod. Without. Permission.

Though it's worth noting there are a few mods which add 'uber' tools without any gating/progression, or give those abilities to vanilla tools.
And aside from Treecapitator they rarely appear outside their domain- which suggests the community wants progression and gating even though they whine about it.​

Reactions: ljfa and psp

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
If there is anything that came out of the last discussions it is Never. Screw. With. Another Dev's. Mod. Without. Permission.

Before this blows out of proportion: I'm not saying "Make mods to break progression in-mod".

I'm trying to understand why people want to attack RoC's system, and not attack every other system.

(EDIT: I mentioned as much in the spoiler in the OP. I also forgot about Twilight forest; keep in mind that TF permits disabling the biome-tree, and I actually do because the balance is all wrong at the low end.)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Its not just RoC- Quite a few of those listed have suffered under this community, and that's just what I've seen in my somewhat sheltered life away from Reddit and Twitter.

Inclusive of the mods outside of that list which- to a greater or lesser degree- also have suffered under this community, there's a fairly clear pattern developing;
When the desires of the community and that of the dev differ; the size of the discrepancy dictates the magnitude of the storm.​
Though this is far from a perfect correlation as there are other factors at play -such as how the dev responds to the storm, and the ratio of those for, neutral, or against a particular design feature.

Reika's case is somewhat of an outlier- I think he was unfortunate enough for several minor factors to unknowingly feedback into each other essentially creating the equivalent of 'the perfect storm'.

Reactions: Lethosos and psp