RotaryCraft excess torque/speed effect on machine output

Ausyarr

Jul 29, 2019
I've been doing some testing with the extractor from rotarycraft with supplying more torque and/or speed to see if the output process is increased. Below is a table of the four stages of the extractor and their requirements and added in there are the gearbox settings required for a single gasoline engine/1 gearbox combo.

Stages Power(Min)-----Torque -----Speed Gear Gearbox setting
Stage 1 65536------------512----------128 ------1:4 torque
Stage 2 16384-------------8-------------2048 ----1:4 speed
Stage 3 32768-------------4------------8192 ----1:16 speed
Stage 4 65536-------------256---------256------1:2 torque
(RED) * Is the minimum required for the stage to work.
(GREEN)* Is the minimum required when (RED) minimum is attained.

So from the table you can see your going to need a 1:16 gearbox and switch it between modes to attain all the torque/speed for all stage with only one gasoline engine.

So what happens when you go above the minimum on the stages
  • Stage 1 & 4 are RED torque minimum and from my tests I've found that adding more torque or speed has no effect at all.
  • Stage 2 & 3 are RED speed minimum and from my tests I've found that adding more torque does nothing but adding more speed does in fact increase output rates. On a 4x Gasoline engine, 1 x 1:16(speed), 1 x 1:4(speed) which outputs at 125 torque, 32768 rad/s which is 16(speed) times the minimum of stage 2 it will finish a stack of 64 ore dust 16 units before a setup running at the minimum of 2048.

So what does this all mean for power setups for extractor.
  • A 1:16 gearbox manually switching between torque and speed modes is all you need with a gasoline engine.
  • Increase speed over the minimum on stage 2 & 3 does in fact increase output of those 2 stages.
  • stage 4 being a torque limited means any increase from speed on stage 2 & 3 will bottleneck before stage stage 4.
  • increasing the number (1 x extractors, 1 x 1:16 gearbox, 1 x gasoline engine) setups will increase ore processing output more cheaper, less components, less fuel, significantly more output.

Hope this helps guys.

Reactions: jokermatt999

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
On another thread, I saw a setup using 2 extractors, one for 1&4, the other for 2&3. It was a creative mode test though, so I've been working on getting that up in my survival world. I've got the 1&4 one up and running, but I need to make the 1x16 gearbox for the other. Itemducts are pulling out finished flakes to be smelted no problem, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get the slurry from B to A, or the dust from A to B. It's going to be a hideous piping job unless I can find something that will extract AND filter more than 9 items. I'm considering diving into Computer Craft and Open Peripherals to use a Turtle for it, but I'd prefer not to user that unless I have to. Logistics pipes may be able to do it, but I haven't dived into that yet either.
Overall though, my findings seem consistent with yours: it's much more efficient to shift gearing ratios than over produce enough power to meet the torque requirements for steps 1&4. It's especially noticeable if you use a setup with an Industrial Coil like I was. I was blowing through stored energy before I started switching gearing.

Also, which stages need water? 1&3, right? So both Extractors need water piped in I guess.

Ausyarr

Jul 29, 2019
On another thread, I saw a setup using 2 extractors, one for 1&4, the other for 2&3. It was a creative mode test though, so I've been working on getting that up in my survival world. I've got the 1&4 one up and running, but I need to make the 1x16 gearbox for the other. Itemducts are pulling out finished flakes to be smelted no problem, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get the slurry from B to A, or the dust from A to B. It's going to be a hideous piping job unless I can find something that will extract AND filter more than 9 items. I'm considering diving into Computer Craft and Open Peripherals to use a Turtle for it, but I'd prefer not to user that unless I have to. Logistics pipes may be able to do it, but I haven't dived into that yet either.
Overall though, my findings seem consistent with yours: it's much more efficient to shift gearing ratios than over produce enough power to meet the torque requirements for steps 1&4. It's especially noticeable if you use a setup with an Industrial Coil like I was. I was blowing through stored energy before I started switching gearing.

Also, which stages need water? 1&3, right? So both Extractors need water piped in I guess.

I have been told that speed all ways increase output rate but it seems we need to put in significantly more speed to see a difference. In the coarse of normal play that might only be doable end game.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Producing jet fuel has actually been easier than I thought. The reagents aren't always used up (like the fermenter), so you can get some mileage out of them. I'm macerating blaze rods for 5x output, and using glue balls (rubber logs in a TE sawmill) for the slime in magma creams, and I've been swimming in ingredients. Just hook up a microturbine to an industrial coil, and you'll have giga joules to spare!

I'm still working out a good system for transferring between the two extractors though. Logistics pipes is looking like the best answer, but I have to figure out how to extract from the correct slots.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
I have always just used filtered extra utility nodes.
Has anyone experimented yet with the pulling node?

Ausyarr

Jul 29, 2019
I have always just used filtered extra utility nodes.
Has anyone experimented yet with the pulling node?

Nope but I will.

Producing jet fuel has actually been easier than I thought. The reagents aren't always used up (like the fermenter), so you can get some mileage out of them. I'm macerating blaze rods for 5x output, and using glue balls (rubber logs in a TE sawmill) for the slime in magma creams, and I've been swimming in ingredients. Just hook up a microturbine to an industrial coil, and you'll have giga joules to spare!

I'm still working out a good system for transferring between the two extractors though. Logistics pipes is looking like the best answer, but I have to figure out how to extract from the correct slots.

I see there is several inputs to get jet fuel, do you need to fill all of them or just one.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
btw, never macerate bone meal...use the grinder instead.
Rotarycraft has been made VERY friendly with magical crops, probably because hunting for the ingredients to make jet fuel prior to hacking mob spawners is absolutely miserable... as a 'mid game' step, growing the ingredients is still quite challenging (and considerably slower than a hacked spawner, and less aggravating than hunting them by hand)

Danilus

Jul 29, 2019
I have a method as well that involves an industrial coil. You do have to switch it manually but automation is difficult since there are 4 slots in the machine and the pipes from different mods find that difficult ( I tried buildcraft/ thermal expansion/ extra util). I talk about it in this video from around 11:11 (
).