rip gideonseymour 2016

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
tbh my life right now is summarized by this sentence, spoken one year ago, to date:
I have turned in my resignation to Slowpoke. I will no longer be part of the moderation or modpack teams for FTB.
I've been part of the FTB Modpack dev team for exactly one year as of today. I was part of the Third Party Pack team for slightly more than that. I made my first public modpack almost two years ago. I made my first modpack ever four years ago.

My time working for FTB was a pretty nice meme, and it's something that I'll always remember. But, if we're being honest, the one FTB pack I made, Horizons: Daybreaker, was pretty bad. Well, as far as FTB packs go. I like to think I'm decent at making modpacks, but kitchen sink packs are not my style, you know? Also kind of forcing me to remake the pack like a week before release, but the new mods I chose were more than a little buggy at best. Anyway, I got assigned after that to create Relentless (also was made an FTB Forum Moderator), which I had a lot of fun working on until modded 1.8 became and all 1.7 pack creation for FTB was halted. That's the summary of my time at FTB. A low quality project and a halted one.

At the beginning of the year, I was removed from the Modpack Development and Mod Development channels on the FTB slack with pretty much no explanation ("that was me organizing" - tfox83). I'm not complaining though - I know I was one of the least successful FTB pack devs in the history of the everything. I think that was me being removed from the FTB team, but nothing happened after that and I still had all my forum tags, so I was unclear on what was happening. To get rid of all the confusion, I then decided to resign, and told the folks that they could remove my tags and put my resignation in the February Newsletter. The February Newsletter never even happened, and I was not mentioned in the March Newsletter, and my tags are still here. As such, I'm resigning in public now because I'm not sure how else to do it since the last one didn't work out. I hope to get that retired staff tag because I've been missing the old gray trusted user tag.

I will continue to make modpacks on the future, and probably still host them on the FTB and Curse launchers. If you still for some reason want updates on that, check me out on twitter.

It's been fun, thanks.

"just so people are aware, I do read these, just some days I forget." - slowpoke, November 9th, 2012

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Your third-party packs were just incredible. Running red was one of the first really story driven modpacks and was gorgeous. Phoenix reborn, while a tad unbalanced in some regards, was one of the funnest packs I've ever played. Pathfinder is just so unique and it's really cool to just explore the RFtools dimension system. No two pathfinder playthroughs are ever alike.

And I was in the beta testing for horizons. Originally, the pack had a lot more mods, with the premise of a foundation of well-known mods with newer mods put on top, to display newer mods while not bringing the player too far out of their comfort zone. Then, as you say, a week before launch, you were told to basically scrap the entire modpack and start from scratch. It had potential as both a fun modpack and a great display of newer mods, but with the way it was remade, it was just a jumbled mess. Being absolutely fair, that was not your fault. You built a great pack then was forced to trash it. The resulting piece wasn't yours in my eyes.

So I hope with that done with you'll continue to make new awesome things. Like the fabled phoenix reborn update/remake or ascension (poke poke)

SnowShock35

FTB Pack Developer
Feb 27, 2014
United Kingdom
snowshock35.com
tbh my life right now is summarized by this sentence, spoken one year ago, to date:

I've been part of the FTB Modpack dev team for exactly one year as of today. I was part of the Third Party Pack team for slightly more than that. I made my first public modpack almost two years ago. I made my first modpack ever four years ago.

My time working for FTB was a pretty nice meme, and it's something that I'll always remember. But, if we're being honest, the one FTB pack I made, Horizons: Daybreaker, was pretty bad. Well, as far as FTB packs go. I like to think I'm decent at making modpacks, but kitchen sink packs are not my style, you know? Also kind of forcing me to remake the pack like a week before release, but the new mods I chose were more than a little buggy at best. Anyway, I got assigned after that to create Relentless (also was made an FTB Forum Moderator), which I had a lot of fun working on until modded 1.8 became and all 1.7 pack creation for FTB was halted. That's the summary of my time at FTB. A low quality project and a halted one.

At the beginning of the year, I was removed from the Modpack Development and Mod Development channels on the FTB slack with pretty much no explanation ("that was me organizing" - tfox83). I'm not complaining though - I know I was one of the least successful FTB pack devs in the history of the everything. I think that was me being removed from the FTB team, but nothing happened after that and I still had all my forum tags, so I was unclear on what was happening. To get rid of all the confusion, I then decided to resign, and told the folks that they could remove my tags and put my resignation in the February Newsletter. The February Newsletter never even happened, and I was not mentioned in the March Newsletter, and my tags are still here. As such, I'm resigning in public now because I'm not sure how else to do it since the last one didn't work out. I hope to get that retired staff tag because I've been missing the old gray trusted user tag.

I will continue to make modpacks on the future, and probably still host them on the FTB and Curse launchers. If you still for some reason want updates on that, check me out on twitter.

It's been fun, thanks.

"just so people are aware, I do read these, just some days I forget." - slowpoke, November 9th, 2012
You're leaving me?!? :'(

Reactions: buggirlexpres

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
I thought daybreaker was pretty good too. Not just because RF windmills sorted out my entire RF needs.

Anyways, glhf, we should make a modpack sometime

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I thought daybreaker was pretty good too. Not just because RF windmills sorted out my entire RF needs.

Anyways, glhf, we should make a modpack sometime
tgkufxh.png

Bluedog444

Jul 29, 2019

It's been fun, thanks.

Sorry to see him go. He was one of the guys who inspired me to start releasing packs publicly.

Syrinori

Jul 29, 2019
It probably doesn't mean much coming from a most of the timer lurker, I only had time to play Horizons of the packs that you've made and I enjoyed it quite a bit! Given the constraints you had that makes it all the more impressive to me. So thanks for your time making that pack. I wish you the best on future endeavors. :)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So, they booted you from the IRC channels with no real explanation? That's...kinda shitty. Never really got around to playing Daybreaker, but it did have some stuff I'd not seen before, which is always nice in a pack. Sorry I never got a chance to boost its numbers a little, we need Horizons-style packs to give lesser-known mods and authors some much-needed exposure, that you helped contribute to that is nothing but a good thing.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I know I have not been active on these forums since the merge, collaboration or what every you wish to call it, but its noticeable that the only remember on ftb staff/team to comment after almost a day is SnowShock35.
I may not have been the biggest fan of your packs but have the utmost respect for the work, time & effort spent creating packs & modding the forums, I will watch out for your work on all MC related forums & wish you all the best in the future, hope to see some more wonderful & maybe off the wall ideas now that you are not constrained & free to walk your own path what ever that may be.

Regards & respect, from an old fart that still loves modded MC.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
It's sad that we'll see a drop in the quality of FTB packs :p I hope they will eventually tell you why you got kicked off man..

Just wondering, you're not quitting the forums are you?

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
It's sad that we'll see a drop in the quality of FTB packs :p I hope they will eventually tell you why you got kicked off man..

Just wondering, you're not quitting the forums are you?
nah man i would never quit the forums! without the custom tag, my tag defaults to Never Leaves. Can't defy that

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to hear of your departure from the team, but as a Modded Community model, you have a legacy that I can only hope isn't finished yet. Continue to do what makes you happy, so long as you give us updates on where your continued projects take you.

I'm not sure you've been given proper credit, but your posts on the power of COFHcore inspired me to revamp orespawn in my current custom pack and, in the process, taught me a ton about how Minecraft actually generates the world I play in. My personal testing is progressing, and it will likely be server-ified soon for our small play group to put through the wringer. Props to you for making it look easy.

So, as long as you're not actually going anywhere, congratulations on officially becoming unofficial. Keep on unintentionally inspiring others to mediocrity. :)

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
*salutes*
Iirc, I think your original retirement message was somewhat lost in the ether, with the flurry of Streamers joining the FTB channel. You made good packs- I just think you were slightly under-utilised. To say the least.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
I wish you the very best gideon! I not sure about your modpacks but I would probably someday try them... :)

Sent from my GT-I9300I using Tapatalk