Requesting Ideas for Dwarven Fortress.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I've been working on my side project to distract me a little and get me back to working with materials and not machines. Basically I've been trying to find a new base of operations and I've been looking in mesa/crag biomes for nice locations to set up. I'm kinda curious tho on ideas as most give this steampunkesque like look for dwarves I was going to go with lava/steam power (haven't decided yet since I'm not sure if I want to use the steampunk feel on my dwarves or my elves.)

Basically I'm looking for design ideas since I'm a bit burned out on trying to think up new things...

I do know that I want an animal as the theme for the base, I imagine a massive animal head spilling lava out of it's mouth as the gateway to the inner sanctum that leads everywhere. I want it to be very much a fortress.

TL;DR - Can I see your dwarven fortresses? or any other designs you've seen for dwarves that'd be pretty boss if it was in MC

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this is NOT mine. But a Google image search revealed this MC version of Erebor that you may or may not have seen. I didn't bother to investigate whether the project is still ongoing or what, but I'm sure a further search would give you a lot more to go on.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/looking-builder-erebor-dale-project-t219350.html

EDIT: In fact, simply searching "Erebor Minecraft" should give you a pretty good start if you like that style.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
ty ferg, that is awesome! my one quiestion is how the hell did they find that cave or did they edit it in? I've never found one that awesome in scope..

Edit: Looking at some of their videos it's cool to see what a bunch of people can do but in the same aspect they're using the perfect conditions to make their builds (aka their world isn't normal world gen it's custom created for them) so a part of me kinda groaned when I saw that the dwarven city they built was like the perfect thing they needed to build it while I'm somewhat stuck with world gen.. well without making it myself but it wouldn't look natural.

My gal just threw another wrench into my plans tho, she found the sacred springs area I found previously and wanted that to be our new base area and she's wanting to make it a temple like thing, tho honestly I'm still probably gonna work on the dwarven city, at least the front of it since I'm a smidge better at design then she is, aka I'm a lot better 8p

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
you'll want to find an alps biome (if you're using BoP) Those are imo the best biomes for these types of builds. Cliffs is also pretty decent, and you might get lucky with a good crag biome too

Reactions: the_j485

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I say, make HUGE halls with ceilings like twenty blocks tall. It needs to be MASSIVE, and impressive.

For the colouring, use very dark stone, maybe abyssal, and then highlights could be dark grey stuff. Do not do anything light, it ruins the entire feel of it, and nothing small, for the same reason.

Also, do macro, not micro, in terms of patterns, nothing detailed.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
I say, make HUGE halls with ceilings like twenty blocks tall. It needs to be MASSIVE, and impressive.

For the colouring, use very dark stone, maybe abyssal, and then highlights could be dark grey stuff. Do not do anything light, it ruins the entire feel of it, and nothing small, for the same reason.

Also, do macro, not micro, in terms of patterns, nothing detailed.

I second all of this advice. And I'd say at least 20 blocks in most cases.

And to echo Birch - a crag biome would be PERFECT for this sort of thing. Not that others wouldn't work, but if you're looking for massive terrain to work with, BoP's crag biome is just the ticket. I don't suppose you're lucky enough to have one nearby to those springs though...

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I second all of this advice. And I'd say at least 20 blocks in most cases.

And to echo Birch - a crag biome would be PERFECT for this sort of thing. Not that others wouldn't work, but if you're looking for massive terrain to work with, BoP's crag biome is just the ticket. I don't suppose you're lucky enough to have one nearby to those springs though...

If crag biomes have sudden very steep canyons, then that would be PERFECT for making epic bridges.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually found a sacred springs next to a mesa (my fav biome) with a canyon/river biome in it and slightly above but joining both the springs and mesa is a crags biome..

will grab some pics, we're working on a bloodelf-esque type temple/city in the springs and in the mesa I will be doing the dwarves, the mesa is perfect terrain gen for my vision, I've always liked mesas and I can give this a unique flare, also the crags had some gen issues I noticed, it gen'd as if someone had been quarrying it but since this is singleplayer, it's not

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
That combination of biomes sounds amazing! Crags do have some bizarre terrain generation sometimes, but that's probably to be expected when you're trying to generate such extreme shapes. My brother and I are actually building in a crag biome right now too. We're sinking our base into the face of a massive, sheer crag cliff overlooking the intersection of a deadlands and a redwood forest (the BoP kind). It's pretty epic, but having a mesa and/or sacred springs and/or canyon in the mix would be much more so. :D

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly. It's funny tho cause my gal loves very lush looking forests yet she's from Texas and I love barren wastelands and I'm from Florida.. odd eh? lol we've started work on hers cause it's always what ends up happening. Tho this time instead of just wandering off and making my own base I stuck with her and it's been 10x as rewarding to plan and build with someone.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
ty ferg, that is awesome! my one quiestion is how the hell did they find that cave or did they edit it in? I've never found one that awesome in scope..

Edit: Looking at some of their videos it's cool to see what a bunch of people can do but in the same aspect they're using the perfect conditions to make their builds (aka their world isn't normal world gen it's custom created for them) so a part of me kinda groaned when I saw that the dwarven city they built was like the perfect thing they needed to build it while I'm somewhat stuck with world gen.. well without making it myself but it wouldn't look natural.

My gal just threw another wrench into my plans tho, she found the sacred springs area I found previously and wanted that to be our new base area and she's wanting to make it a temple like thing, tho honestly I'm still probably gonna work on the dwarven city, at least the front of it since I'm a smidge better at design then she is, aka I'm a lot better 8p

TNT.

JesterSig

Jul 29, 2019
Seconding this. Perhaps you could go for a fortress design from Dwarf Fortress?

I'm picturing stockpiles stone and mugs everywhere. You'll have to spill liquids to look like vomit and blood and of course have some sort of lava or water channel that malfunctions and floods the whole fortress.