removing mods from infinity

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
There are mods in this pack I know I'm never going to use (buildcraft, IC2, Thaumcraft being the big ones). To make the pack more manageable I figured I'd disable them, but when I tried I ended up getting some forge mod loader error telling me IC2 was missing. I don't know much about modifying mod packs so how do I disable these and still get the pack to work?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
There are mods in this pack I know I'm never going to use (buildcraft, IC2, Thaumcraft being the big ones). To make the pack more manageable I figured I'd disable them, but when I tried I ended up getting some forge mod loader error telling me IC2 was missing. I don't know much about modifying mod packs so how do I disable these and still get the pack to work?
Those 3 mods are all core mods for a whole lot of other mods. You need to make sure you disable all the other dependant mods as well.

Going to be a rather pathetic modpack though without all those mods however.
Pull out: Advanced Solars, Binnies Mods, Forestry, gendustry, Gravitation suite, Nuclear Control, Logistic Pipes, Magic Bees, Railcraft, Steves Carts(I think relies on RC), Thaumic Tinkerer and probably a not more... Wow what a sad modpack that is left :p

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Wellllll not really. I love SC2 nearly as much as I love RoC/ElecC.

Btw, are you sure Railcraft requires Buildcraft? I know a part or two of it does, but the whole mod o.o?
Dunno. Have no idea if it is modular and only some modules are dependent on BC, but not sure how you you would make the tracks without the Rolling machine which uses power etc.(dunno if that have changed). And so much of the mod is(or they were) based on those plates from the rolling machines.

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
You can use thermal expansion dynamos to power rolling machines, I've done it before. In fact you just use an energy conduit and dynamos can power anything buildcraft engines can, including forestry machines and such. Buildcraft and IC2 are all but obsolete. Nuclear Control? I prefer Big Reactors thanks. Thaumic Tinkerer can be removed along with Thaumcraft, such a frustrating and boring mod with tons of much better magic mod alternatives. Most of the others should work fine if it's just a power issue. If any of the mods require a lot of stuff unique to IC2 or Buildcraft I likely wouldn't use them anyway.

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm guessing the forge mod loader error I'm getting is because some mod needs IC2 to work properly. How do I figure out which one it is so I can remove it or fix it?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm guessing the forge mod loader error I'm getting is because some mod needs IC2 to work properly. How do I figure out which one it is so I can remove it or fix it?
Advanced Solars, Gravitation Suite, and Nuclear Control are all addons to IC2 and need it to run.

When you remove Thaumcraft, you also need to remove Thaumic Tinkerer

Logistic pipes is Buildcraft dependent.

Open peripherals is Computer craft dependent.

Binnies mods are dependent on Forestry

@Moasseman Buildcraft and Railcraft are stand alone these days and don't need each other to run.

Last edited:

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced Solars, Gravitation Suite, and Nuclear Control are all addons to IC2 and need it to run.

When you remove Thaumcraft, you also need to remove Thaumic Tinkerer

Logistic pipes is Buildcraft dependent.

Open peripherals is Computer craft dependent.

Binnies mods are dependent on Forestry
Well thank you sir, I actually have not tinkered much/at all with IC2, so had no idea what I was pulling out.

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
I disabled the noted mods and it works, well so far, I've only just made a new world so I have no idea if some missing mod is going to kill my entire world. I was hoping that paring down the mod pack would mean I could get the resource packs to work again, but nope, still can't get any resource packs to work. Oh well, migraine-inducing vanilla textures it is then.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I disabled the noted mods and it works, well so far, I've only just made a new world so I have no idea if some missing mod is going to kill my entire world. I was hoping that paring down the mod pack would mean I could get the resource packs to work again, but nope, still can't get any resource packs to work. Oh well, migraine-inducing vanilla textures it is then.
You might run into issues arising around the modpack being balanced around the mods you removed. Probably need to change some configs as you go at the very least.

As for the resource pack, then the mods should have no influence on it working. Are you sure you have given the game enough RAM to run the resource pack?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
and, being Captain Obvious here, make sure the modpack is for 1.7.x -- I've worked with several resource packs and they do just fine. Only one in recent memory didn't work well because it didn't display proper textures for some modded glass panes or something. What resolution pack are you trying to load? I generally do the 64x resolution. Even with my gear I'm not insane enough to do a 512x pack.

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
For infinity I've tried the Invictus and Soartex resource packs you can install through the FTB launcher. I also tried using Sphax with Resurrection. I've given minecraft up to 4G in RAM and I still can't get the resource packs to work. Not long ago I had no trouble getting resource packs to work in minecraft with only 2G of RAM, but for some reason it recently stopped working. I'll have to try using the default minecraft launcher and see if it's a general problem or just a FTB problem.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Invictus was the pack I had issues with. Never had a problem with Sphax, but I don't install it via the FTB launcher. I've always just gone and downloaded the pack myself and plopped it in the resourcepacks directory manually.

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
Just tried Sphax and it worked, so I guess it is a problem with Invictus. Woohoo, no more vanilla textures.

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
ok, so maybe not every problem is fixed. The game works fine, but it takes 40 minutes to an hour for the game to actually load. I don't know if it's the resource pack or the mods I took out, but I'm guessing it's not supposed to take that long for minecraft to load up. I'm pretty close to just giving up on this whole thing and going back to unmodded vanilla minecraft.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
ok, so maybe not every problem is fixed. The game works fine, but it takes 40 minutes to an hour for the game to actually load. I don't know if it's the resource pack or the mods I took out, but I'm guessing it's not supposed to take that long for minecraft to load up. I'm pretty close to just giving up on this whole thing and going back to unmodded vanilla minecraft.
Well you have chosen a rather large pack in a version that in notorious for being resource intensive. If your PC is not perhaps top of the line you might want to choose a lighter pack or go down a MC version or two. You can have a lot of fun with the 1.6 packs(yes it is older versions of mods but you performance is quite a bit better).

If you insist on running large 1.7 packs you should make sure to run them off a SATA3 SSD IMO.