Removing Forestry mk. II

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
BETA A pack

So I removed Forestry (out of fear that the dev would put in another world destroying bug again) and now my server has no copper or tin... I thought the other mods that used copper or tin would spawn it? x.x

I also removed Mystcraft (due to lack of use), portal gun (due to its inability to work from outside the same chunk), and Twilight Forest (due to even more lack of use), is there anything else that is needed that won't spawn?

Original thread is here. Please ONLY talk about my question, do NOT stray from the topic. My question again is whether or not those other mods I removed also have things in them that are needed for other mods.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Pre warning anyone that brings up anything apart from the question at hand may get a warning or there post deleted without warning.

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
Check you configs; of course, without knowing which pack you're using (you know, that information so others can help you) I couldn't tell you which configs to edit. Off hand, your best bet would be to turn ore generation back on in the IC2 config. MystCraft only spawns crystal and instability blocks, so no loss there; portal gun doesn't spawn any afaik; and Twilight Forest spawns it's blocks in it's dimension, so you don't lose anything there either.

[EDIT] Pretty benign aside here that had nothing to do with previous flame war, but still edited out.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry adds a lot of things that can work as alternatives to resources used by other mods. For example, you can make Buildcraft pipe waterproof from beeswax.

You also lose the electric engine, which is currently the only way to convert EU into MJ available in the modpack. But if you don't plan on doing that conversion, it won't hurt you.

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
Check you configs; of course, without knowing which pack you're using (you know, that information so others can help you) I couldn't tell you which configs to edit. Off hand, your best bet would be to turn ore generation back on in the IC2 config. MystCraft only spawns crystal and instability blocks, so no loss there; portal gun doesn't spawn any afaik; and Twilight Forest spawns it's blocks in it's dimension, so you don't lose anything there either.

[EDIT] Pretty benign aside here that had nothing to do with previous flame war, but still edited out.
BETA A pack.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Go to the thermal expansion config file.
Find the part that says:
Code:
####################
# world.gen
####################

world.gen {
  ore.copper=false
  ore.lead=true
  ore.silver=true
  ore.tin=false
}
Fix it.
Grats, you now have tin and copper.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Pre warning anyone that brings up anything apart from the question at hand may get a warning or there post deleted without warning.
No offense, but how about editing the OP to remove the editorial comments about the mods (to which we cannot respond)?

Reactions: heavy1metal

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
No offense, but how about editing the OP to remove the editorial comments about the mods (to which we cannot respond)?

The reason i didn't edit the post it because he states his reason for removing it. (and doesn't force his reasons(or opinions) on others)

he didn't ask for opinions to be stated about his reasons for removing them.

The question was how to fix the problem with no Tin/Copper spawning on his server.

Cash_monkey

Jul 29, 2019
As for why you removed forestry, without getting into that whole discussion too much. SirSengir has given us (The FTB mod pack, and the FTB community) explicit consent to use forestry. So I wouldn't worry too much about world destroying features.

However, if you just don't want to use forestry out of personal prefrence. In the FTB beta A pack, the only mod that spawns copper and tin is forestry, if you want to spawn those materials without forestry then you need to enable the IndusrialCraft2 generation of those materials.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I thought the other mods that used copper or tin would spawn it?
Yes, other mods use copper and tin. You will need to check your configs to see about their spawn rates.

As long as you removed Forestry prior to generating the world, you shouldn't have a problem.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
In the FTBBettaA pack the mod pack team turned off all copper and tin generation except Forestry . So if you removed forestry before world gen you need to turn on the copper and tin generation in either thermal expansion or IC2 configs.

As to the comments on the forestry comment. Sengir gave us explicit permission there is no worry about forestry and while I realize some people may personally have a concern stemming from the past, in the context of this forum it is ancient history and does not matter for FTB. If people wish to remove any mod for any reason or even no reason that is entirely their choice and the FTB team will support that choice as long as it is stated in a civil manner. The OP has stated a personal reason in a reasonably civil manner regardless of whether we agree with him it is still his personal opinion and we will not censor it.

Keep comments to a helpful civil level and do not go off topic by arguing about the OP's personal reasons.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
In the FTBBettaA pack the mod pack team turned off all copper and tin generation except Forestry because forestry had the largest spawn rate. So if you removed forestry before world gen you need to turn on the copper and tin generation in either thermal expansion or IC2 configs.

As to the comments on the forestry comment. Sengir gave us explicit permission there is no worry about forestry and while I realize some people may personally have a concern stemming from the past, in the context of this forum it is ancient history and does not matter for FTB. If people wish to remove any mod for any reason or even no reason that is entirely their choice and the FTB team will support that choice as long as it is stated in a civil manner. The OP has stated a personal reason in a reasonably civil manner regardless of whether we agree with him it is still his personal opinion and we will not censor it.

Keep comments to a helpful civil level and do not go off topic by arguing about the OP's personal reasons.
Really? I thought they chose forestry because it had a lower spawn rate. On the given version, Ic2 spawned in about 40% more ore.

Anyhow, the main problem with removing Forestry is disabling the default ore gen, do what other people have suggested and enable another mods gen.

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...T2dnQVMySHdrS3c&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Easy list of which mods affect world gen. The new mod packs use TE to spawn your typical copper/tin/silver. Buildcraft is needed more than forestry. Mystcraft can be used in very clever ways to get around the map, large buildings, transport liquid/energy/items as if you had transport pipes. But nothing relies on mystcraft.

The "core" mods on which most are built upon is IC2 and BC3. RP2 is pretty much standalone but simply interface with both IC2 and BC3.

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
Can I just ask why there was a need for a Mk2? The OP's question was already answered in the previous thread quite thoroughly...
Because it wasn't, and it still is not.

My question again is whether or not those other mods I removed also have things in them that are needed for other mods.

I also removed Mystcraft (due to lack of use), portal gun (due to its inability to work from outside the same chunk), and Twilight Forest (due to even more lack of use), is there anything else that is needed that won't spawn?

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that the way the FTB pack is configured that only overworld gen from any of those mods is Forestry's apatite, which is only used by Forestry. So you should be good to go :)

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I did.
Off hand, your best bet would be to turn ore generation back on in the IC2 config. MystCraft only spawns crystal and instability blocks, so no loss there; portal gun doesn't spawn any afaik; and Twilight Forest spawns it's blocks in it's dimension, so you don't lose anything there either.

JadedCat and heavy1metal also expanded upon the answer.

Here it is again, as a list....
  • Forestry - Only tin and copper are needed (and only in the FTB BETA A pack). Use IC2 or BuildCraft or ThermalExpansion to replace missing world gen.
  • MystCraft - None of the world gen are needed (crystal and corruption/instability only appear in Ages, which you won't see if you remove it).
  • Twilight Forest - None of the world gen are needed (blocks Twilight Forest uses world gen for are only generated in Twilight Forest's dimension).
The google doc heavy1metal details what other mods add to world gen, although it is slightly behind the available packs (no Traincraft).

Reactions: heavy1metal

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Then you'll have to give us more information about your problem.

I could make a few guesses though.
Since it's a FTBBETAA server im going to guess it's not a fresh server at that it's been running for a while.
I'm also guessing you didn't have any plans on a map reset after removing the mods.
Seeing as mods only spawn ores on world creation there will be no tin and copper in already generated chunks.
The solution is eigther mystcraft (which you removed) or exploring new chunks which will have the tin and copper spawns you enabed from other mods.
If so, i guess you made the "forestry ruined my world" to a self fulfilling prophecy.

Reactions: Greyed
Status
Not open for further replies.