Regarding a custom modpack for thr33p10's Mindcraft Server

thr33p10

Jul 29, 2019
Hey people,

I'm starting this to generate a little bit of an idea of what is thought regarding a custom modpack to use for a server instead of Mindcrack. For those of you who connect to thr33p10's Minecraft Server, this is a chance to put in your 2 bits about what you want/hope for, and what you absolutely want to not see at all.

Starting with the list of what Mindcrack has, is there anything that should go?

As far as other mods out there, what would be great fun to add?

Here's a few suggestions that have come up in my discussion with the Admins of the server...

Possible additions:
Biomes O'Plenty
Tinkers' Construct
Gravity Gun

Possible removals:
Twilight Forest

I'm sure there's plenty more.. So, what does everyone think?

BY THE WAY: If you want join the discussion, there is NO asking for whitelist here. PM me directly if you like the ideas of this server and want to play. This is NOT a server promo topic! Just a brainstorm topic :)

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I believe extra biomes has a conflict with BoP. So you'll have to choose one over the other, and BoP might be a nice change from the normal extra biome's biomes.

Gravity gun is kinda pointless when you already have portal gun. Mindcrack was supposed to be hard, and adding gravity guns means that you can essentially get half a portal gun by just venturing into the nether for a few minutes.

Tinkers' construct, you should add that for sure, although it might remove the point of getting high-tier gregtech/IC2/gravisuit tools.

Trail mix might be a good choice if you want to have fun on your server rather than doing it the traditional mindcrack way of making things super hard. Also, it's quite hard to make a correct landing and takeoff with the pigs, so it has decent balance to it.

Dimensional doors might be good...? I know it's not as bad on servers as Mystcraft is (there are 2 blocks in the world gen, black void and the dimensional portal in which you come from) and it might also be a nice substitute of using the nether as a transport system. The nether increases your block distance by 16x, so it's really good for transportation, but it's quite random and there are serious risks of flying demon squids blowing up your portals. Then again, that's a neat challenge to the nether, having the risk of being killed by powerful mobs if you don't have good armor or weaponry.

Modular power suits. Late-game people will be using quantum armor to move themselves around, so why not give them a much more detailed and well thought out alternative?

thr33p10

Jul 29, 2019
Well, so far as ideas thrown about in private with Admins, off the record, and talked about on the server itself, it seems that Biomes O'Plenty has some sky colourization issues (sudden change when crossing borders). We may be reconsidering that one...
Mystcraft seems to be around to stay, as many generated worlds have already started going well, but there may be some config changes with the new upcoming version to better tailor it to the server setting. Speaking of Mystcraft, we'll probably be generating a "new" main world as an additional age, to make better use of new worldgen that a few of these mods will change/add.
Also, if chickenbones' translocator mod is ready for 1.6 and allowed, we may be adding that to the mix too!

Other thoughts:
If we disable portalguns, then the gravity gun mod may be considered.. otherwise, probably not. Too many people like the faith plates/turrets/etc that are added by portalgun.
Many have had fun with the Twilight Forest age, and it adds many cool blocks to the game.. probably not going to dismiss it so easily.

Xycraft! Soaryn does not allow Xycraft to be added in custom modpacks, not even private ones yet. :( So if we do the custom modpack, Xycraft will be a manual add-on (just like Mystcraft and Applied Energistics currently are).

Should I do a youtube spotlight on the added mods, and custom-mod a vanilla install of Minecraft just to show a better picture of what mods we've got on the table for consideration? I could always just post a compiled list of the new mod listing as it stands now.. That would be faster.

coen98

Jul 29, 2019
i think biomes o plenty is better than extrabiomes xl, also i think it is nice to add logistics pipes, if you have logistics pipes and aplied energystics you can make more kinds of sorting system

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Considering this deathly old topic is now revived, I may as well mention that you can add xycraft into your custom modpack, just as long as you don't distribute the pack.

If a mod author doesn't want their mod in a custom modpack, there's nothing stopping you from ignoring them and adding it in. Distributing it publicly is looked down upon, however, and it'll get you a warning if anything.