Refined Storage disk vs storage block

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
What is the difference, pro vs con between using a disk and a storage block?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I think the Storage Block has a built in void upgrade for anything over it's capacity, allowing you to have cobble/dirt/sand etc enter the system without taking up all the space. It requires more resources to make (minimal) and use a bit more power (and uses a larger build footprint).

Edit:. Oh, the Storage Block is single item (like a Drawer) whereas disks are multiple item types, but I thought that was obvious.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I think the Storage Block has a built in void upgrade for anything over it's capacity, allowing you to have cobble/dirt/sand etc enter the system without taking up all the space. It requires more resources to make (minimal) and use a bit more power (and uses a larger build footprint).

Edit:. Oh, the Storage Block is single item (like a Drawer) whereas disks are multiple item types, but I thought that was obvious.
Could I posit an additional question to this then, if @DREVL doesn't mind? Are there any actual advantages to using a storage block, over a disk?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Could I posit an additional question to this then, if @DREVL doesn't mind? Are there any actual advantages to using a storage block, over a disk?

If all your basic filler blocks (cobble, dirt, gravel, sand, etc) had their own Storage Block, you wouldn't need any kind of filter on a quarry inputting into your system, as these blocks would have designated homes away from misc storage with automatic overflow protection built in. There are other advantages I'm sure, but this is the one that first comes to mind.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
If all your basic filler blocks (cobble, dirt, gravel, sand, etc) had their own Storage Block, you wouldn't need any kind of filter on a quarry inputting into your system, as these blocks would have designated homes away from misc storage with automatic overflow protection built in. There are other advantages I'm sure, but this is the one that first comes to mind.
Ah OK! Yeah that makes sense - automatically keeps it away from the system. And I suppose with the liquid storage blocks, you've basically got barrels there, so that's handy too. Is there anything to make the item/fluid stored on the block render so you can tell what's in there just by looking?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Ah OK! Yeah that makes sense - automatically keeps it away from the system. And I suppose with the liquid storage blocks, you've basically got barrels there, so that's handy too. Is there anything to make the item/fluid stored on the block render so you can tell what's in there just by looking?
Within the mod itself, I don't recall seeing a way to display the contents, but you could opt Vanilla by using either signs or items frames. Honestly though, once I'm putting things in Storage Blocks, I don't want to see those things represented outside of my Crafting Grid. If I did, I'd just use Drawers (Storage Bus on the Controller, of course).

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Within the mod itself, I don't recall seeing a way to display the contents, but you could opt Vanilla by using either signs or items frames. Honestly though, once I'm putting things in Storage Blocks, I don't want to see those things represented outside of my Crafting Grid. If I did, I'd just use Drawers (Storage Bus on the Controller, of course).
That is a very good point actually. Never mind! :)