Redstone Energy Cell

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Decrayer

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

I just crafted a Restone Energy Cell Block and now im wondering how it works. I connected it to my BC energy network and it started saving energy. But how can I get the energy back from it? I tried to power it with a redstone signal, but nothing happens.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
I've only ever used the pipes/wires/whatever from the mods itself, they have special connectors that allow you to set the direction of flow from an Energy Cell.

Stairmasternem

Jul 29, 2019
The cell itself has an adjustable output in its interface as well. Set that, hook it up to either conduit or wooden conductive pipes, then you should be good.

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

First of all remember that you need to pick it up only by Shift+rightClick with a BC wrench or TE wrench. Second of all, you will see it has an interface that says maximum input and macimum output with "+" and "-" signs. This is how you tell it to interact with other machines like a quarry for example.
The normal use of it is like this:
- put the cell on an engine or BC power network and set output to 0 and input to a number that you feel will not steal power from the other machines in the network
- after the cell is charged, remove it with a wrench and put it in the new location(another power network or directly next to a machine)
- set the output value to you feel necessary for the particular task(for example a quarry will take IN any amount of power put will waste anything over 10MJ/t)
Cheers!

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

First of all remember that you need to pick it up only by Shift+rightClick with a BC wrench or TE wrench. Second of all, you will see it has an interface that says maximum input and macimum output with "+" and "-" signs. This is how you tell it to interact with other machines like a quarry for example.
The normal use of it is like this:
- put the cell on an engine or BC power network and set output to 0 and input to a number that you feel will not steal power from the other machines in the network
- after the cell is charged, remove it with a wrench and put it in the new location(another power network or directly next to a machine)
- set the output value to you feel necessary for the particular task(for example a quarry will take IN any amount of power put will waste anything over 10MJ/t)
Cheers!
10MJ\T is not true any longer quarries will rip to bedrock in nothing flat at full energy cell output. (seriously try it, it's hilarious)

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
10MJ\T is not true any longer quarries will rip to bedrock in nothing flat at full energy cell output. (seriously try it, it's hilarious)
I have to see this with my own eyes! will try and update post if necessary.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You should upgrade to the Thermal Expansion energy conduits for where you do not need Buildcraft gates at the moment. Conductive pipes waste a lot of energy, the conduits are much better in that regard.

Regarding the energy cell, I found it to be awesome buffer storage. In my setup, the energy cell sits between some engines that pump MJ directly into it (Railcraft Hobbyist engines for that beautiful 17,000 MJ per charcoal), and then my machinery is connected to conduits coming from the energy cell. That way the engines can keep running for their full burn duration without wasting fuel regardless of how much work the machinery has, since any excess is stored in the cell. Also, the cell itself works as a handy on/off switch for the machinery; just set output to 0 and it's all off. And if I ever need energy elsewhere? Shift + rightclick the cell with a wrench and just carry it along, it keeps its charge. I never want to do Buildcraft without this anymore :p

Decrayer

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, okay. My fault was that I didn't put a wooden conductive pipe next to it. Now its working great. Thanks for all that hints.

My two Biogas Engines deliver too much power in too short time, so the best thing is to store the power within the energy cell.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Won't work until update to 1.4.4 or later (the quarry commit was done in the same batch as the 1.4.4 stuff, see the GitHub commit for details).
Odd if you are referring to my post, I'm running 1.4.2 and my quarry just ripped, and I mean ripped it sounded like velcro ok slow velcro but still, a huge hole in the ground at 125 eu\t.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
The normal use of it is like this:...
Not so sure about "normal" there, whilst theres no issue with using them that way, I use them in a totally different manner.

Firstly I use them in a powerplant to smooth out and regulate power consumptions vs generation (I have 10 in series holding 5m MJ), I also place them at spur points on my power network to ensure certain spurs get power even if the network is otherwise out of power, and I finally use them either on spurs or directly hooked up to machines and the power network, but set to say 1 MJ output per tcik to stop Forestry machines eating all my power whilst doing nothing in return.[DOUBLEPOST=1353450691][/DOUBLEPOST]
Odd if you are referring to my post, I'm running 1.4.2 and my quarry just ripped, and I mean ripped it sounded like velcro ok slow velcro but still, a huge hole in the ground at 125 eu\t.
Quarries will take as much power as you can give them as quick as you can give it. Use the output settings to limit the quarry to sensible amounts.

Reactions: damnedsky

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019

Can you verify what version of BC you are running, because I just tested this in stock FTB, and there was no difference from 10 MJ/T all the way up to 1,125 ( 9 redstone cells set to 125 each ). It picks up somewhere between 1 and 2 per second is all.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
Can you verify what version of BC you are running, because I just tested this in stock FTB, and there was no difference from 10 MJ/T all the way up to 1,125 ( 9 redstone cells set to 125 each ). It picks up somewhere between 1 and 2 per second is all.
That is what my experience says too, quarries will eat all the power you can give them, but there is no noticeable difference to the speed of the quarry once you hit a certain level of power.

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
In Direwolf20's SMP LP, I hear him and the maker of BC and that is indeed one of the newer updates. I don't think it's out for 1.4.2 yet though.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 is a YouTuber that reviews mods, talks with the Forge mod devs often, and plays on an SMP server with them on which they test new builds. Thus watching his series can lead to sneak peaks on mod development, including an upcoming buff on the Quarry's max speed. In case that's what you wanted clarified.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested with 1.4.5 and the BC 3.2.0 ( official from the front page ), and it does indeed go significantly faster with those versions. It's still far from unlimited though. It was roughly 2-3 times faster when I was pumping in around 1000+ MJ/T using energy cells. I set this up the same as my previous test, so I can verify that this does not work with the current FTB.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
It was roughly 2-3 times faster when I was pumping in around 1000+ MJ/T using energy cells.
even in the relatively short term, it would be cheaper to craft another quarry (which you could place next to the first) and use the energy cell to feed them both 10MJ than it would be feed one quarry 100MJ (10x the required power) to get 2 times the speed.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I think he may have neglected to test when that speed ceiling was hit and only tested what its speed was at that level of energy. I doubt it actually takes that much energy to reach that speed.