Redstone Conduit / Steam engine issue

ERRUK

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I tried hooking up a redstone conduit to an industrial steam engine today and for some reason I can not get the thing to work. They connect, but when I turn the steam engine on it stores the power instead of sending it down the line. I have it hooked up to a machine, to a tesseract and to an energy cell. None or collecting the power. Did they make it so that redstone energy conduits can't accept that type of power anymore?

Do I have to use buildcraft pipes for that now? If so does the tesseract accept the buildcraft pipes?

Image attached.

Attachments

• 2013-12-30_22.20.36.png
    2013-12-30_22.20.36.png
    806 KB · Views: 46

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
TE3 conduits, tesseracts, and energy cells do not accept MJ, only RF.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Use Steam Dynamos instead of Industrial Steam Engines. They are equivalent, steam input-wise and power output-wise, though the Dynamos output in RF and the ISEs output in MJ.

Note that Conduits output in either RF or MJ. The conventional wisdom is to use Energy Conduit for power transmission since it outputs RF and MJ.

ERRUK

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, why would they do that. I'm not seeing the logic of not alloying MJ engines to power redstone conduits, but allowing the same conduits to power MJ machines.

Oh well, thanks for the help. Which do you think is better to use with the High pressure ones, the steam turbines that produce MJ and RF (I think its minefactory?) or steam dynamos.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, why would they do that. I'm not seeing the logic of not alloying MJ engines to power redstone conduits, but allowing the same conduits to power MJ machines.

Oh well, thanks for the help. Which do you think is better to use with the High pressure ones, the steam turbines that produce MJ and RF (I think its minefactory?) or steam dynamos.

The logic is simple. The RF system is newly written by KingLemming. Since his mods used to use MJ and many people used his conduits and engines to run BC, Forestry, and Bee machines, he made his mod backward compatible. That way you could still use his engines and conduits to power MJ machines if you want, while his machines and conduits are not meant to accept MJ. The new dynamos have no moving animations when they run so they are super cpu friendly even with large banks of them. They are also self throttling so they don't waste fuel. The new tiered energy cells are great too.
When I initially saw the changes, I thought I would stop using TE since I didn't want yet another power networks. MJ and EU were enough. But after playing with TE3, I like it more than ever. The tiered conduits and ducts make it easier to get started. I made invar with a TiCo smeltery so I could get setup pretty fast. You were using conduits before, now you have to use only his engines instead of BC/Forestry/RC ones. This does limit your options, but with many mods adapting RF, I would expect more mods to add RF production in the near future. At least TE3 engines are fairly efficient and not laggy.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
The logic is simple. The RF system is newly written by KingLemming. Since his mods used to use MJ and many people used his conduits and engines to run BC, Forestry, and Bee machines, he made his mod backward compatible. That way you could still use his engines and conduits to power MJ machines if you want, while his machines and conduits are not meant to accept MJ. The new dynamos have no moving animations when they run so they are super cpu friendly even with large banks of them. They are also self throttling so they don't waste fuel. The new tiered energy cells are great too.
When I initially saw the changes, I thought I would stop using TE since I didn't want yet another power networks. MJ and EU were enough. But after playing with TE3, I like it more than ever. The tiered conduits and ducts make it easier to get started. I made invar with a TiCo smeltery so I could get setup pretty fast. You were using conduits before, now you have to use only his engines instead of BC/Forestry/RC ones. This does limit your options, but with many mods adapting RF, I would expect more mods to add RF production in the near future. At least TE3 engines are fairly efficient and not laggy.
This. TE is simply better in every meaningful way. For me, with the introduction of item ducts, it's essentially made Buildcraft obsolete. The only blocks I still use are the Filler and the Quarry, and I could replace the Quarry a half dozen ways, were I so inclined.