RedPower Replacements?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
For a replacement to the tubes you could use the transfer pipes from extra utilities which are similar but cause less lag

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Not as far as I'm aware, and nor will I ever expect one. Nor should you.

So why does everyone seem so angry and frustrated about her not updating it? I don't understand it. There is a life outside of modding and minecraft. Maybe she's working on it maybe shes taking a break or maybe she's doing something else amazing and is just waiting to announce it. People get so angry about her not updating it when she has a life outside of modding and minecraft. Maybe she is busy? Leave her be in peace :)

I may not have a life outside of minecraft and gaming but she probably does

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
So why does everyone seem so angry and frustrated about her not updating it? I don't understand it. There is a life outside of modding and minecraft.

That is precisely not the frustrating part. What's frustrating is that lots of people want to try and equate, "The community deserves better" with "You are obligated to be their slave." The two are not the same, but people seem to enjoy making that argument.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
That is precisely not the frustrating part. What's frustrating is that lots of people want to try and equate, "The community deserves better" with "You are obligated to be their slave." The two are not the same, but people seem to enjoy making that argument.
Ok here is my take on it, it's their content they can share it if they want to. If they decide they don't want it to be open source you should respect that. I agree it might help if it was open sourced but respect there choices. If you think you can do better go and make it (not directed towards any single person). Regardless you should respect peoples wishes and not argue and fight about it, she is not obligated in any way to make it open source. If she wants to let the project stop then that is her decision.

All in all respect each other and their wishes and be happy of how far it got and how much progress it made.

Reactions: whizzball1

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
it's their content they can share it if they want to.

I can respect them as people and believe they have a right to these decisions.

I do not respect the decision itself. Most importantly, I think that if you DO happen to steward a popular mod and then decide you need to take a break, you should leave clear instructions and open source it. You can make this argument from a selfish and utilitarian perspective, but I don't think people are actually interested in that.

If they decide they don't want it to be open source you should respect that.

That's precisely the part I do not respect. I adhere to licenses meticulously, but I also draw the line at the LEGAL and ETHICAL aspects of the license. However, I am free to say the licenses are wrong or bad. I also try to point out to modders when their licenses are illegal. I even extend them the courtesy of giving them adf.ly revenue when they request it even though it hurts my project's user experience to do so.

I cannot force modders who write closed source mod to think a different way, and I respect them as people. But if you want me to say they're doing the right thing, I won't. I'd be lying. I think they are throwing away a ton of value given how much time they're investing.

The deep irony is that I support modders keeping their art assets closed and non-distributable. That way their look, feel and brand are protected while their code inspires the next generation of programmers to do even more amazing things.

All in all respect each other and their wishes and be happy of how far it got and how much progress it made.

I'm not sure you realize how much restraint everyone had shown with RedPower 2. Do you realize how trivial it is to decompile Java into a very useable format? An experienced modder could ressurect RP2 into 1.6.4 by reverse engineering it and replacing the dead parts in a matter of weeks, if they had the time and fury to do so (and back during the 1.4->1.5 transition, it was even more so). But no one has gone that far. Because were we to do this, it would demonstrate we do not respect Eloraam's right to make the decision.

To be honest, I was shocked the community showed as much solidarity as it did.

Last edited:

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I can respect them as people and believe they have a right to these decisions.

I do not respect the decision itself. Most importantly, I think that if you DO happen to steward a popular mod and then decide you need to take a break, you should leave clear instructions and open source it. You can make this argument from a selfish and utilitarian perspective, but I don't think people are actually interested in that.

That's precisely the part I do not respect. I adhere to licenses meticulously, but I also draw the line at the LEGAL and ETHICAL aspects of the license. However, I am free to say the licenses are wrong or bad. I also try to point out to modders when their licenses are illegal. I even extend them the courtesy of giving them adf.ly revenue when they request it even though it hurts my project's user experience to do so.

I cannot force modders who write closed source mod to think a different way, and I respect them as people. But if you want me to say they're doing the right thing, I won't. I'd be lying. I think they are throwing away a ton of value given how much time they're investing.

The deep irony is that I support modders keeping their art assets closed and non-distributable. That way their look, feel and brand are protected while their code inspires the next generation of programmers to do even more amazing things.

I'm not sure you realize how much restraint everyone had shown with RedPower 2. Do you realize how trivial it is to decompile Java into a very useable format? An experienced modder could ressurect RP2 into 1.6.4 by reverse engineering it and replacing the dead parts in a matter of weeks, if they had the time and fury to do so (and back during the 1.4->1.5 transition, it was even more so). But no one has gone that far. Because were we to do this, it would demonstrate we do not respect Eloraam's right to make the decision.

To be honest, I was shocked the community showed as much solidarity as it did.
I'm glad they were able to show such restraint. Recently, people have seen why Eloraam is having these problems and thus show more respect to her. I was quite angry, however, when that one person stated that he was going to blatantly copy the source code and make a Redpower2 copy. Some people just can't seem to get around the fact that real life interferes in modders' lives also.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Kirin, I understand where you are coming from and I somewhat do agree that it would be better if it was open sourced and we could progress further with it and learn from it, However eloraam hasn't open sourced it and I am sure she has done it for a reason not "oh its my work I don't want people to learn for it and I hate everyone in this entire planet". She's done it for a reason that is not apparent to me at this time, and I fully respect her decision on it, even though parts of it I do not agree with it on 100%.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Do what I do. Her twitter handle is TheRealEloraam; just passively monitor, and forget you're following her. Either you'll be very happily surprised one day, or you won't even think about it.

secretzer0

Jul 29, 2019
whatever the code and system successes or stumblings, i'm just kind of :/ about Elo because i severely enjoyed what RP2 let me do until i couldn't any more mainly because she wouldn't allow anyone else to maintain it. it strikes me as a bit selfish, and the horse that likes to be beaten 'round here is that 'it's free' so it isn't as though keeping it squirreled away to herself was stripping her a livlihood to allow someone to port it to updated versions of minecraft without interfering unnecessarily with the 'system mechanics' or whatever. is anyone really paying more than maybe a mobile bill with ad.fly revenue? i'm thoroughly ignorant on that but suspect myself correct.

why share something if you're going to take it away because you can't or won't allow someone else to provide it in your absence? do you just take your gold fish with you on every vacation because you won't let anyone else watch it for a week? except even if they turned your gold fish into a beta fish... you could make it a gold fish again with the same amount of work you'd be doing anyway... /shrug

knew her not and miss her awesome new things bunches, i liked the innovations she gave us and ore dictionary can't be praised enough.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
let elo not share her code, other mods already do a much better job on RP stuff.

RP microblocks never worked on other mods, fmp do. RP never tapped into no API. MFFS frames work and look better. TE3 tubes...

Dereck Napacho

Jul 29, 2019
"There's no problem with FTB distributing RedPower, I like that modpack. I haven't forgotten about the update, either, just slow going."
June 11 posted by Eloraam, must be pretty slow going, but at least we know she hasn't done the disappearing act on us
also as a replacement option,
Projectred seems pretty close to the original, and unlike other mods, it's sole goal is to be an [almost] exact replica of RP2 including gates, frames, the whole shebang.
I don't know if the mod will be shut down due to Elo's copyright, but something tells me that if it does, it will just get passed around the community and bootlegged anyways due to the
people whose thirst for RP2 in later MC versions cannot be satisfied with immibis's replacement which honestly, while still having a lot of work put in, is of very poor quality.

Last edited:

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
"There's no problem with FTB distributing RedPower, I like that modpack. I haven't forgotten about the update, either, just slow going."
June 11 posted by Eloraam, must be pretty slow going, but at least we know she hasn't done the disappearing act on us.
Nice necro thread with old and well-know information...
Projectred seems pretty close to the original, and unlike other mods, it's sole goal is to be an [almost] exact replica of RP2 including gates, frames, the whole shebang.
I don't know if the mod will be shut down due to Elo's copyright, but something tells me that if it does, it will just get passed around the community and bootlegged anyways due to the
people whose thirst for RP2 in later MC versions cannot be satisfied with immibis's replacement which honestly, while still having a lot of work put in, is of very poor quality.
There is no reason for shutting down PR, it can be similar feature wise, but the code isn't the same, so the copyright law can't help Elo. ;)
As for immibis' replacement, same thing, and it isn't that bad btw. ( :p )

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
Back in the 1.2.5/1.4.5 days, Redpower was considered essential by most, but now a lot of other mods have taken up the slack - even excluding "Redpower replacement" mods such as Project Red, many of RP's features have been superseeded by other mods, such as MFR's rednet cables, TE3's Autonomous Activator and itemducts, and Forge Multipart (which is compatible with many other mods).