RedPower Mag Tubes - MAC launcher idea

Aubinator

Jul 29, 2019
I'm at work and unable to test this. Just a thought: Can you use a Mag
Tube configured like this:

Red Power Filter (or some other machine that ejects items) -> 1 Pneumatic Tube -> Powered Accelerator -> 100+ Mag Tubes ==> fire it into the air at the same accelerated rate?

I'm attempting to mimic an UNSC MAC (Halo themed Mass Acceleration
Cannon). Since MAG Tubes are the fastest way to transport items, is it
possible to have the end unfinished and accelerate the item into the
air? Or does it require a valid inventory to connect to?

If impossible, I have a work around that could have a temporary inventory that is at the end of the line. Will the item hit the end and bounce back? Or continue into the air?

-----

If no response is made by end of day, I'll try a test at home later and advise you of the results...

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Tubes only send items if there is a destination. If there was an inventory that was then removed (that is what you mean with your temporary inventory work around right?) the item will bounce back.

Buildcraft pipes will drop items so you could make a really long line of gold pipes and fire items through that.

Aubinator

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was aware of the BC pipes. They just aren't as fast, and the mag tubes just look better for the job :)

Looks like it'll be mag tubes all the way to the end, then a quick switch to a few gold pipes to maximize speed before exiting the cannon.

I'll do some testing to see how many gold pipes are needed for max speed, and if anything may shoot further. I'll post my results...[DOUBLEPOST=1379452174][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just tried and: no. :)
Do the gold pipes just drop them instead of throwing? Would a filter or similar RP machine throw them further?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was aware of the BC pipes. They just aren't as fast, and the mag tubes just look better for the job :)

Looks like it'll be mag tubes all the way to the end, then a quick switch to a few gold pipes to maximize speed before exiting the cannon.

I'll do some testing to see how many gold pipes are needed for max speed, and if anything may shoot further. I'll post my results...[DOUBLEPOST=1379452174][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do the gold pipes just drop them instead of throwing? Would a filter or similar RP machine throw them further?

What about a design where the items go through a golden pipe, activate a gate sending a redstone signal to a TNT cannon, and then the item drops down onto the launch platform. As soon as it lands, the TNT goes off, and due to the vertical limits of the MAC the item will go flying off in a very specific direction.

EDIT: Speaking of which, you could try and make a system that fires an arrow at the ground, lights up a bunch of TNT, and then has a piston retract the block holding the arrow up right before the TNT explodes. The arrow will travel incredibly far and it'll light its targets on fire provided you put a lava wall in the MAC.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

You'll have to test the RP stuff for yourself but BC pipes just randomly spread the items around.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England

Buildcraft pipes and redpower tubes don't connect to each other so that won't work.

Would a filter or similar RP machine throw them further?

Filters and transposers will throw items but only a few blocks and I don't think the speed that the item is travelling down the tube will affect the distance thrown.

Aubinator

Jul 29, 2019
By quick switch I meant:
Decellerator -> pneumatic tube -> chest -> BC Pipe
Not worth it...

I have abandoned the idea of throwing something legitimately. I will be working with a Sethbling filter (spawner carts) that will spawn a moving nuke on command. I'll record it and post it here once testing complete. Hopefully, the collateral damage isn't going to get me :(

Aubinator

Jul 29, 2019
So far testing is a little funny. Need to have the spawner cart almost 100 blocks from where the actual explosion occurs because that's where the player stands (on the bridge). Though I should test it in a space age (the final resting spot for the frigate). I'm looking to add specific Instability: sun exposure = slowness and poison? (To simulate being in space) anybody have a suggestion for space age writing?

Remember this is FTB Ultimate (1.4.7) - not sure if any mechanics have changed in newer versions...

This is what I have so far...

Standard Space Age:
Mushroom Biome
Single Biome
Void
No Weather
Normal Lighting
Zero length noon Dark Sun
Double length north east setting Dark Moon
Double length north east rising dark moon
Normal Stars
Black sky color
Black Fog? (Maybe a dark purple (nebula-like): black black black purple fog)
Star Fissures
Sun exposure slowness - to simulate low gravity? Is this a page or has to be added in level via NBT editor?
Sun exposure poison - to simulate suffocation? If only there was a "no air" instability page! (FEATURE SUGGESTION!)
Clear Modifiers

When the ship is "warping":
All same as above
Half half length rising dark moon (as fast as I can get it in front of the ship)
Half half length setting dark moon (opposite side so the stars don't disappear)
Charged - To simulate a warp field?
Zero length end dark sun

Anything I'm missing or have overlooked?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Don't add effects.

Poison will effect you even if you have some kind of armor on, so it'll get annoying quite quickly.

Slowness will make you slow and it'll get nauseating after awhile playing on such a lowered FoV.

Aubinator

Jul 29, 2019
Don't add effects.

Poison will effect you even if you have some kind of armor on, so it'll get annoying quite quickly.

Slowness will make you slow and it'll get nauseating after awhile playing on such a lowered FoV.

But that's the idea. I don't want people to wander around outside the ship, simulating space in a way: dangerous without proper protection! Would the hazard suit last more than a minute? Quantum suit the only way?

Any other way to simulate "suffocation" or lack of air?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
But that's the idea. I don't want people to wander around outside the ship, simulating space in a way: dangerous without proper protection! Would the hazard suit last more than a minute? Quantum suit the only way?

Any other way to simulate "suffocation" or lack of air?

The problem is the effects will happen even while inside the ship. Unless you're basing it around the quantum helmet's ability to remove effects, and in which case, that's completely fine and I hadn't thought about that.

Those two effects are the closest you can get to space simulation, so you can add them I guess. When I first wrote that post I didn't bring the quantum helmet into consideration.

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
Have you looked into Galacticraft?

It will not do sun exposure effects, but it does add space areas you can go to which require the proper oxygen equipment to breathe. Base mod gives access to the moon and a space station area that could be used for your ship. Lower gravity in these areas slow down in air travel time and allows players to jump higher and slowly descend.

It also adds various blocks to help with space construction:
Oxygen Collectors, Oxygen Distributors, Oxygen Compressors, Air Locks and others I can not think of at the moment.

Only thing is that it uses Universal Electricity api. It may work with IC2 or buildcraft power but I am not sure on that.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Have you looked into Galacticraft?

It will not do sun exposure effects, but it does add space areas you can go to which require the proper oxygen equipment to breathe. Base mod gives access to the moon and a space station area that could be used for your ship. Lower gravity in these areas slow down in air travel time and allows players to jump higher and slowly descend.

It also adds various blocks to help with space construction:
Oxygen Collectors, Oxygen Distributors, Oxygen Compressors, Air Locks and others I can not think of at the moment.

Only thing is that it uses Universal Electricity api. It may work with IC2 or buildcraft power but I am not sure on that.

Even if it doesn't, using the universal cables from Mekanism it'll run on IC2 or BC power.

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
Even if it doesn't, using the universal cables from Mekanism it'll run on IC2 or BC power.

Ah, I was unaware of those.

I am currently playing the Ampz mod pack due to some boredom with the amount of familiarity I have with the standard tech mods (IC2, TE, BC) in the other packs.

Anyways I still have a bit to learn as to what the UE mods offer in terms of compatibility with the other mods.