Redpower 2 blulectricity and Transformers

Wondrej

Jul 29, 2019
I have not found a single topic that would cover this problem neither found where could I report it directly to the developer, so perhaps we can solve it here.

I was testing out the transformers from the RP2 with the 10kW wire and it seems to be broken.
Powering let's say blulectric engine can be done with two solar panels hooked up directly into it with normal wire. But when using transformers there is huge energy leak.
Also transformers will consume most of the energy of the battery even if they are in dead end cable line that just ends without any device.
Also the output A is fairly low after transforming the current back to the low voltage.
I was trying to find some wiki or howto on these but the only thing I found was video from Direwolf and he just barely mentions the transformers.

So I would like to know what to do with transformers to have them work properly or if I should wait for update and what else can mess the current because even the batteries don't have stable output and it goes from 0,2 to 12A... Makes no sense for me at all.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
All cables and transformers have some degree of internal capacitance (think of it as of internal buffer of sorts) that needs to be filled up.
Until then the cable will send through only small portion of energy. That is also why cable drains energy even if not connected to anything.
10kV cables have much larger capacitance than normal blulectric cable, so it takes longer.

Edit:
Look at this topic for more insight about blutricity: A Player's Guide to Redpower 2 Blutricity

Wondrej

Jul 29, 2019
All cables and transformers have some degree of internal capacitance (think of it as of internal buffer of sorts) that needs to be filled up.
Until then the cable will send through only small portion of energy. That is also why cable drains energy even if not connected to anything.
10kV cables have much larger capacitance than normal blulectric cable, so it takes longer.

Edit:
Look at this topic for more insight about blutricity: A Player's Guide to Redpower 2 Blutricity

Oh wow! I've never seen this topic, it helped alot! I didn't know about the internal capacity

Wondrej

Jul 29, 2019
but still it makes no sense, i hooked up 3 windmills into wire, that into transformer, then i carried the signal over 30 blocks by 10kW cable and then to another transformer and into battery. Battery never charged (there was only 60V on the wire). There was noticable drop in W between the 10kW cable and the normal one after going through transformer :(

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
For how long did you waited? It usually takes a really long time to fill those cables, try leaving it for half an hour or so.

Wondrej

Jul 29, 2019
uh that long? well I'll try that, but all the voltage was pretty stable

also I just noticed, I will loose charge in battery if voltage is lover then certain point? (aprox 80V)

oh wow, it realy works thanks a bunch!

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Correct, the battery box will discharge itself in an effort to raise any connected energy network up to at least ~80V. It will dump its entire storage in this way.

The energy stored in the energy network is available for consumption to a certain point. No energy consumer will work below 60V, so any energy invested to bring the energy network to 60% charge is "lost", in the sense that you cannot get it back out anymore. Call it a kind of "initialization cost". All energy invested in raising the network above 60% is available for consumption.

A neat side effect of having lots of 10 kV wire, by the way, is that they give your energy network tremendous storage. Every 12-13 pieces of 10 kV wire can provide a full battery box worth of energy while they drop from 100% to the minimum 60% voltage.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
yep, try going biomass for quarrys, or magmatics, or if you are more advanced, steam. Maybe electric if you are in endgame IC2

Wondrej

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking about biomass at first but I liked the way the blulectricity looks and works. I might try to combine all of those so I just have bit of everything and can switch between them if I ever need, but for now I'll go with biomass I think