Red Alloy Wire

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PJS192

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys, FTB noob here.

I'm in the process of making a water mill power source as seen in this video:

At about 24 minutes in he places red alloy wire over the retriever, deployer etc. to connect to the timer. My question is how do you place the red alloy down? Every time I go to put it down the menu comes up for the individual machines because I'm right clicking over them! I'm sure I'm doing something really stupid but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Any help would be much appreciated!

PJS192

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I've finally made the set up in the video but the buckets aren't passing through the water mills, they're just spitting out straight away (the retriever's not even collecting them!). I've got gold tubing running underneath and connecting all of the water mills. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't watched that video specifically but I've set one of these up before..

..You say "gold tubing" and retrievers.. Are you using RP tubes (made of brass) or BC pipes (made of gold)? And at what point are they spitting out?

PJS192

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Golden Transport Pipes, sorry should've been more clear. Once the empty buckets are placed in the deployer and the filled ones in both the filter and retriever, filled buckets fly out all over the place (quite messy as I'm sure you can imagine!). I don't think the buckets are passing through the mills at all. I'm going to redo the whole set up and see if I can get it working.

PJS192

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to double post, but I followed this video and it didn't work:

Might have to go with a huge water mill tower :(

Moltakkk111

Jul 29, 2019
You must be doing something wrong remember to check if it's pneumatic tubes (made in the alloy furnace)
Make sure the retriver has power
and make sure the machines are facing the correct way if not make a screwdriver

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
You can't use golden transport pipes with a Redpower setup.. use tubes, which are made out of brass.

Remember, pipes are for BC and tubes are for Redpower. No need to rebuild, just get rid of those pipes.

The reason they're getting spit out is because Redpower machines can't output to BC pipes. You have to first interface with a chest (possibly a buffer).

PJS192

Jul 29, 2019
Oooooh thank you! Changing the tubes definitely helped. But now I've got empty buckets of water being spit out by the retriever and not being sucked up by the deployer/filter. Also, the buckets aren't going past the first two water mills. Any ideas as to why? Sorry for all the questions!

Moltakkk111

Jul 29, 2019
check if eveything is facing the right way
also if you could upload a screenshot of your setup it will help more

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
I would assume they're not making it past the first two water mills because buckets of water generate 500 EU at 1 EU/t, meaning they'll use up the generated EU very quickly and be ready for a new bucket by the time a new one comes through. What pack was the video made in and what pack are you using?

Also, hook tubes up to the output of the retriever so nothing is "spit out". No need to suck things up, they'll stay in the system to be filled and used again.

Moltakkk111

Jul 29, 2019
I would assume they're not making it past the first two water mills because buckets of water generate 500 EU at 1 EU/t, meaning they'll use up the generated EU very quickly and be ready for a new bucket by the time a new one comes through. What pack was the video made in and what pack are you using?

Also, hook tubes up to the output of the retriever so nothing is "spit out". No need to suck things up, they'll stay in the system to be filled and used again.

Ic2 wiki said:
The Water Mill will charge the battery or output power at a rate of:
  • Manned: 1 EU/t A single water unit produces 1000 EU and the Water Mill can store 4 water units worth of water.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019

Your point? In the Mindcrack pack, it's 500 EU at 1 EU/t. Which is why I asked him which pack he's using, to be sure.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I made a little something.
2013-02-10_231439_zps9bf621bb.png
The left router is in extraction mode(from slot 1) and has an item filter upgrade with an empty bucket, and an ejector upgrade, ejecting into the LT. That's filled by an AA from the back. The bottom router is set to insert mode (slot 1).

Works well :)

This could probably support way more mills, but you'd have to add another AA.

Then again, I really don't think that you should use water/wind mills. At all. Not because it's "free energy" funk that (even though it is). But the turnout is very small, you need many. IC^2 machines tend to produce a lot of unnecessary overhead and you'll be lagging out of your mind if you use this setup for large amounts of energy. Aim for top solars, nuclear, fusion, steam or magic energy. I mean sure, use whatever to get you trough mid game, but ditch those childhood toys once you hit some serious power generators. Your computer/server admin will thank you.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
You never asked him

Brush up on the reading skills.

Poppycocks, I agree. Last I used Watermills, they lagged up my server. That was before FTB and quite a few MC versions ago, so it may have been fixed. Either way, it's a lousy source of energy in a modpack that has tons of equally cheap options that output more power.

PJS192

Jul 29, 2019
And thanks poppycocks, I'll look into other sources of energy for sure! Thanks everyone for their help btw!

Haven't been able to sort it out. I'm on DireWolf20 Pack v5.0.1 if that makes a difference? And trunksbomb, what better sources of energy would you recommend? I know I'll be needing EU rather than MJ mostly, so solar panels are a no-go. Just wasn't sure what else is available/easy to access?

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Tier 5 Blaze spawner into generators (EU) or a boiler (MJ), Logging Turtles farming trees (fir, or something else big) feeding into a boiler (tier 5 skeleton for bonemeal), etc. I'm sure there's more.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running two t5 blaze spawners feeding them into 5 boilers. Converting MJs into EUs trough lava. Extra lava goes into centrifuges(which is great because I never waste energy this way). I need to rebuild the whole system soon though. Wish there was a better conversion system, sucks that turbines have been nerfed, I would've used those instead. I'd still be okay with turbines if they upped the amount of steam they need, but no, they had to go and lover the EU output instead <_<.

Anyway, my next project is a contraption which'll produce nether stars and diamond dust. I'm going to use the output to produce magic extractors, which I'm going to consequently feed with said stars, the whole thing (both the energy and diamond dust) is going to power a matterfab.

The ultimate goal is building a fusion reactor doing as little mining as possible.

Also PSJ192, solars are EU, not MJ. You might actually consider those. Although you'll be wanting the advanced ones at the very least.