Recipes changes from refined iron to steel !

Talencourt

Jul 29, 2019
And you would power that compressor HOW?
For that matter, make it out of what?
... remember, this is a discussion of using steel to replace refined iron.

OP's referring to the Gregtech changes; I would guess that the server he's on has the Gregtech configs set to expensive and he's previously been playing with cheap recipes (I believe that expensive was made the default config not so long ago).

The refined iron/steel change doesn't apply to compressors and basic T1 IC2 machinery. Those still use refined iron, as does the basic Generator.

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, like a week ago I started my first ultimate world. First time playing with Gregtech as well. I hated it because of the steel changes. But now I love it, because I still have so much to do because of all the new steps I need to take to build even the simplest of machines.

Diamonds for macerators? Genius. I actually had to go caving for quite a bit before I was able to set up a nice ore doubling system ( I didn't want to use TE or Quartz Grinder at the start, I wanted to figure things out with GregTech ), not to mention the need for advanced alloys forced me to build a rolling machine very early.

Then there is the steel for the next level of stuff. What I did was, I figured one furnace wouldn't be enough. So I went and found a swamp for the slime balls and a nether fortress ( which you need for bricks anyway ) supplied the blaze powder. I've built 6 railcraft blast furnaces. That's a lot of coal coke or charcoal you'll say. Yes! Because of that, I made only one coke oven ( primarily because of the need for creosote for the next step, but could be done without if you've found an abandoned mineshaft for the tracks ) then went straight for a SC2 tree farm. I was collecting wood that automated to charcoal and saplings and apples will help with the biofuel later.

That was all because of Gregtech changes, and I like it for that. Much of my time was spent without a goal, but it defines the next step, so you have something to do while thinking about your next build or system.

oirelando

Jul 29, 2019
i love gregtech and if youre having trouble getting started i suggest doing some thaumcraft as a setup i did some and now i have lots of good wands and the like. no need for a drill with a charging 2 and potency 4 wand of excavation > drill. plus you could get other enchantments on it. i know with books you can get enchantments on drills but thats super expensive early game. but after 2 nights i was able to lvl 30 enchant the wand. got that enchantment first try. quarry? arcane bore. (although thats like the last one in the tree but its still a good replacement once you do get it)

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but this just does not work, getting to a Nether fortress. It is just too tough, and I am always killed, killed, kmilled, killed. What's the point of making the game tougher and tougher just to keep a select number of people there and have other give up and do something else? No Mining Drill = no miner. I already tried to reconfigure GregTech. I did it many times, and that does not solve it. A new problem pops oup every time I enter the game. Maybe I should switch to a mod pack without GregTech, but I don't know of any of them that would not disable me MystCraft in the way.

The Necro is strong with this one.