Recipes changes from refined iron to steel !

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
God damn, who switched those recipes from IC2 and others from refined iron to steel?!

This means i have to go to the nether to actually progress ... luckily, it is possible to mould netherportals, so all you need is lava and water ... still i do think, going into the nether should be something for the later stage of the game ...

I just wanted to test the railcraft rails and the IC² mining drill ...

Did this happen with installing railcraft, or is this a recipe change by FTB?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
It's an "innovation" of the GregTech mod. =)

If you'd like to keep in the GregTech functionality, but not the new recipes for old stuff, I wrote a small guide here with info on what to do.

Reactions: Whovian and LeC

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
That Greg is a troll I say.
Well, in fairness, it's a throttling mechanism; requiring steel for the drill means he doesn't want you having one in his planned progression path until you've pretty well conquered the Nether (enough so to supply the materials to make a Blast Furnace). I wouldn't say it's a "troll" so much as an "increased barrier to entry", which isn't for everybody.

Luckily, he's made it configurable so you can still play with his toys without having to go by his preferred progression path for the mods. =)

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
That Greg is a troll I say.
Richardg867
8 is as close to a R you'll come with numbers
6 is almost a upside down e
7 is the closest youll get to a small g (exept for 5 but disregard that!) and also as close you get to T
Richardg867 is RichardGreg!
It all makes sence now!

On a serious note having the IC2 recepies tweeked is kinda nice, even though steel is kinda harsh.
And RichardG is awesome! :D

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Well the Diamond-Drill might be more expansive in the future too since the step from Mining-Drill to Diamond-Mining-Drill is a bit small.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Well the Diamond-Drill might be more expansive in the future too since the step from Mining-Drill to Diamond-Mining-Drill is a bit small.

Yeah, the normal drill is kind of pointless in this stair-step in my opinion too. When you've conquered a Nether Fortress, 3 diamonds is probably the least of your worries.

On the other side of it, I never really bothered with the non-diamond mining drill in "vanilla" IC2 either. Usually my first three diamonds go towards the drill and I'm just getting up the power infrastructure to actually use any kind of drill at that point (since I'm just getting redstone around then as well).

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
Well, in fairness, it's a throttling mechanism; requiring steel for the drill means he doesn't want you having one in his planned progression path until you've pretty well conquered the Nether (enough so to supply the materials to make a Blast Furnace). I wouldn't say it's a "troll" so much as an "increased barrier to entry", which isn't for everybody.

Luckily, he's made it configurable so you can still play with his toys without having to go by his preferred progression path for the mods. =)

Well unless I'm mistaken you can still compress netherrack into nether brick (or did it disable that too?) and you can get magma cream from magma cubes (which thankfully have had their hitboxes fixed in 1.4.4 so they can actually be hit now). So you could do it without a nether fortress... but it would probably take a lot more effort all things considered. The worst things in nether fortresses these days are the wither skeletons. Blaze are pretty harmless when you've got a good bow or a fire resistance potion if you ask me :)

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Well unless I'm mistaken you can still compress netherrack into nether brick (or did it disable that too?) and you can get magma cream from magma cubes (which thankfully have had their hitboxes fixed in 1.4.4 so they can actually be hit now). So you could do it without a nether fortress... but it would probably take a lot more effort all things considered. The worst things in nether fortresses these days are the wither skeletons. Blaze are pretty harmless when you've got a good bow or a fire resistance potion if you ask me :)
Can still compress netherrack->brick (it's how I got my Magma Crucible going nice and early).

And yeah, you can do it that way... but with the drop rate on Magma Creams I much prefer just forging ahead and getting myself situated in a Nether Fortress (go go Mystcraft Linking Books back-and-forth to make it convenient once you've found one).

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
Can still compress netherrack->brick (it's how I got my Magma Crucible going nice and early).

And yeah, you can do it that way... but with the drop rate on Magma Creams I much prefer just forging ahead and getting myself situated in a Nether Fortress (go go Mystcraft Linking Books back-and-forth to make it convenient once you've found one).

Well I'm glad to know at least some things didn't get altered with GregTech. Hehe. You're right, the rate for them spawning isn't very high (and they usually always end up at the bottom of lava lakes anyway -_-). Its easier to just buckle down and get the fortress sorted. Since blaze also now spawn in fortresses naturally its even easier to get blaze rods than it once was.

All in all not a bad change, at least it is a little entertaining, if still pretty much pointless in my view.

Kyre

Jul 29, 2019
I actually really like this change! It always seemed silly to me to have the Drill and Chainsaw a half hour into your world. Now it feels like you'll have to earn the ability to use them. Also you'll have to go out of your way to unlock the ability to get Mixed Metal Ingots and advanced machines.

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
I actually really like this change! It always seemed silly to me to be able to have several IC2 machines a half hour into your world. Now it feels like you'll have to earn the ability to use them.

Well in all fairness it isn't that much harder that you can't do it in half a hour to a hour if you move at a decent speed. At least it makes things more interesting.

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
I dont ahve problems with creating steal per se, but i dont find it fitting to got into the nether just to make steal ...

Johny Idler

Jul 29, 2019
In the future there should be some mechanic for creating steel in GregTech itself (mentioned on their forum). Hopefully it won't require going to nether for resources...

nicktonton

Jul 29, 2019
Richardg867
8 is as close to a R you'll come with numbers
6 is almost a upside down e
7 is the closest youll get to a small g (exept for 5 but disregard that!) and also as close you get to T
Richardg867 is RichardGreg!
It all makes sence now!

On a serious note having the IC2 recepies tweeked is kinda nice, even though steel is kinda harsh.
And RichardG is awesome! :D
Uhh... pretty sure RichardG isn't too keen on Gregtech.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Too be honest, I turned it off- not because I don't want the challenge, but because Greg makes you build the blast furnace only for 2 IC recipes. If gregtech dropped the refined iron and replaced it all with steel (so 8 steel on a rolling machine for the machine block) it'll be a lot more interesting.

(I know we can do all the IC processing stuff with thermal expansion/factorization, but IC offers the fastest material processing in game- which makes it worth working toward with the steel production at a later level)

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Uhh... pretty sure RichardG isn't too keen on Gregtech.
Q.E.D.

If gregtech dropped the refined iron and replaced it all with steel (so 8 steel on a rolling machine for the machine block) it'll be a lot more interesting.

Probably unintentional side effect: you couldn't build so much as a Generator without having progressed to the point of having tracked down and started chopping down a nether fortress (even if you played the "let's-grind-all-the-magma-slimes" game instead of parking on a blaze spawner, your only route to netherbrick without a compressor is to actually get to a nether fortress and break it up).

That's not so much a throttle at that point. That's a "you aren't tall enough to ride this ride until classic vanilla near-endgame" (with the same point in progression I could instead be opening an End Portal). Even Railcraft itself has two tiers of progression before that point. That isn't what I'd call "interesting", personally, as it makes IC2 might as well not even be installed until that point in the game (know of any other tech mods that are so completely absent from the game until that point?).

Would probably be more suitable for those folks who like the idea of "tiering" the tech mods for progression rather than running them in parallel. Not a fan of that approach, myself; choices are part of what makes the game interesting.

EricBuist

Yes, but this just does not work, getting to a Nether fortress. It is just too tough, and I am always killed, killed, kmilled, killed. What's the point of making the game tougher and tougher just to keep a select number of people there and have other give up and do something else? No Mining Drill = no miner. I already tried to reconfigure GregTech. I did it many times, and that does not solve it. A new problem pops oup every time I enter the game. Maybe I should switch to a mod pack without GregTech, but I don't know of any of them that would not disable me MystCraft in the way.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
No mining drill huh?? Try an enchanted thaumium pick- with repair II and efficiency V, with a choice of silk touch or fortune III you'll never need a drill for mining.
(I have a distillition tower, matterfab+3 reactors, chrome ready blast furnace, grinder ect all set up and running without needing a quarry/automining for resources)

Or there's gregtech's electrical blast furnace.

Or you can drink a can of manup- if you're killed that often you're probably running around naked with a stick. You'll want a full suit of iron minimum, iron/diamond sword minimum and a bow- as well as milk buckets for the wither effect. Wither skeletons are 3 blocks high- so if you make 2 block high doors they wont be a problem.

Generally the packs themselves have updated quite a bit since this thread was last discussed. If you put a good effort in, you'll be surprised how easy it can be.

Talencourt

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but this just does not work, getting to a Nether fortress. It is just too tough, and I am always killed, killed, kmilled, killed. What's the point of making the game tougher and tougher just to keep a select number of people there and have other give up and do something else? No Mining Drill = no miner. I already tried to reconfigure GregTech. I did it many times, and that does not solve it. A new problem pops oup every time I enter the game. Maybe I should switch to a mod pack without GregTech, but I don't know of any of them that would not disable me MystCraft in the way.

You don't need to get to a nether fortress to get a blast furnace.

Blaze Powder (Cinderpearl flowers in a desert biome) and Slimeballs (Slimes in a swamp biome, or via factorization) make Magma Cream, and you can put netherrack in a compressor to make nether bricks.