Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't say only that. But if you watch spotlights you often see that in that spotlight (as part of the explanation) the recipes are shown in itemframes. With this mod the recipes may be shown in a neater manner. That's all

I haven't seen that in a long while, it could be I don't watch spotlights by people who do it, but the last time I saw anyone actively try and show all the recipes for the mods was before NEI was picking up steam, a long time ago. Recipes aren't the focus of mod spotlights, since NEI both makes showing them easy as pie, and not neccesary.

But yes, it is neat. That goes in the 'useful for aesthetics' category of my post.
It's still not filling any functional gap, I'm not saying it has to, just saying it doesn't.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
For an individual user- its easier to just NEI the lot, or actually remember a few of them.

If you're showing off the recipe [such as tutorial/spotlight]- then its awesome for the viewer, as the producer isnt opening NEI/chests to show the recipe. It makes the video smoother.

Also if a server/mappack wants to show off some custom recipes- this'll be pretty cool also.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
RWTema has been welcomed by Team CoFH to help with the updating of Thermal Dynamics to 1.7.10; for all who don't know, this will basically fill the gap that is now the lack of conduits (which we all miss dearly.) I have a few thoughts on the matter and I am sure that others do as well.
Note: I will not truly be judging anything until tangible results are in (we'll see what happens), and my goal is not to throw anyone under any bus.
Apparently he is allowed to nerf the ducts as he pleases.
https://twitter.com/Extra_Utilities/status/523526056645779456
This somewhat worries me because I have a feeling he will help develop them with the idea that everyone will both be using ExU and TE at the same time and tier them as such... I don't use ExU.
I had similar fears when skyboy joined the team as I have similar qualms about the design of MFR but he turned out to be a good addition and I noticed no negative impact on design, hopefully the same will be the case with Tema.

Don't worry, the Twitter stuff is mainly bluster. Tema's a team player.

Fact is, Itemducts are catching a small "nerf" in one sense, but a versatility buff in another.

Being able to wrench modes on them is nice - dense/vacuum/RR/etc - as part of the basic duct; but fact is that it's a limited design. We're redoing the duct system so that individual ducts are simpler, but it'll be easier to add new types.

I'm not saying multi-mode ducts are impossible, just that we're going to take a step back on that one as it's a lot of extra variables to track which in many cases simply aren't useful. Same sort of deal with filters. They're super convenient, but it's another state variable to add to the duct. A filter duct is better, performance-wise. And it also means we can make some super-advanced filter ducts without bloating the memory requirements on every duct out there. ;)

Backstuffing needs a rework because we can't ensure it works properly with all inventories, and there are a lot of retarded mod inventories out there. Instant transmission *might* be a server-side option. Code-wise it is trivial to do.

Also, the rework gives us the opportunity to possibly open up a duct API.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Fact is, Itemducts are catching a small "nerf" in one sense, but a versatility buff in another.

Being able to wrench modes on them is nice - dense/vacuum/RR/etc - as part of the basic duct; but fact is that it's a limited design. We're redoing the duct system so that individual ducts are simpler, but it'll be easier to add new types.

I'm not saying multi-mode ducts are impossible, just that we're going to take a step back on that one as it's a lot of extra variables to track which in many cases simply aren't useful. Same sort of deal with filters. They're super convenient, but it's another state variable to add to the duct. A filter duct is better, performance-wise. And it also means we can make some super-advanced filter ducts without bloating the memory requirements on every duct out there. ;)

Backstuffing needs a rework because we can't ensure it works properly with all inventories, and there are a lot of retarded mod inventories out there. Instant transmission *might* be a server-side option. Code-wise it is trivial to do.

Main thing I'd like to see is a rework of the servo system. One servo allowing up to 6 duct connections to have full filter capabilities is quite powerful. Different "tiers" of filter duct would be useful, even with whitelist/blacklist & NBT/Meta flag options those 9 slots are limited, meaning more ducts, more filters, and more awkward builds. If anything I'd like to see the filter be a "block" in itself, bit like the "old skool" RP2 filter/sorting machine with one input and one output (or configurable with an upgrade).
I'd also agree about the modes on the ducts. Modes are rarely used in ratio to the rest of the duct system, so would make sense if there was a dedicated duct you make for those modes, instead of the whole duct system having to store the mode it's in and keeping an eye on player interaction.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019

All I really want to know is: Will you be able to disconnect ducts from each other with a wrench?

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Almost ten hours and no news? What has this world come to!?! Anyway, here's a nice post from Sp614x (yep, the Optifine dude) talking about some of the introduced issues in 1.8.

Had to bring this over here. With all of the terrible things that people have discovered about 1.8 (this being a great example) there is very little Microsoft could do to make it worse. This has to be the low point in Minecraft's development history, unless Microsoft somehow manages to turn gold into lead.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
In that case, I propose we make 1.7.10 the final stop for the MC mod train, and make mods only for 1.7.10. Or at least make it the primary mod version.
I'm gonna get so much hate...
Mods have skipped versions before, I believe 1.3 was skipped by most mods.

Reactions: 1SDAN

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019

Man, because I personally believe a "mod version" would greatly help the community. It would:

1. Increase the variety of mods as basically every mod made since this version came out would (hopefully) work for the current forge (if no major overhauls have been made)
  2. Increase the amount of viable modding tutorials for the same reasons as above
  3. Decrease the amount of time modders must put into learning code and increase the amount of time they can put into improving it

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Mods have skipped versions that have had short lifetimes and been huge steps forward... Hard to just "skip" something that does irreparable damage. (Referring to the block state system not just general lag/data dump issues)

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Screw it- stop here [1.7.10] until the API is actually launched and running.
Code freeze will give devs time to catch up, and development new content.
Stable codebase-> open to more/newer modders = more mod content, more unique/developed packs.
If the API works- things only break once when we then update to use it
If its crap- we're in a strong position to carry on with our own API. We won't need Mojang anymore.
For those who actually want the new vanilla gameplay/mechanics [bunnies to splatter and all that jazz]- I think theres already been a few backports to have this in 1.7.10.

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
For those who actually want the new vanilla gameplay/mechanics [bunnies to splatter and all that jazz]- I think theres already been a few backports to have this in 1.7.10.
Botania backported prismarine, Gany has the new stone types, bunnies existed in mob mods before 1.8, there's a fair amount of less random enchantment systems and I don't think we need the 1.8 one, slime blocks and banners are from mods in the first place, what else is there? Potions of Leaping? The new doors and fences?

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Botania backported prismarine, Gany has the new stone types, bunnies existed in mob mods before 1.8, there's a fair amount of less random enchantment systems and I don't think we need the 1.8 one, slime blocks and banners are from mods in the first place, what else is there? Potions of Leaping? The new doors and fences?
Gany's Surface also has prismarine (full dungeons), the new enchantment system (optional), and the new doors :D

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC 1.7.10 already had prismarine and the temples

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
That's 1.8

No I'm pretty sure 1.7.10 added also as the temples came before 1.7.10 because they decided to finalize 1.7 before updating to 1.8. But not the bunnys and beacons and the like... Also I'm sure it had the rocks if you gen new chunks but that one I'm less sure of

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
No I'm pretty sure 1.7.10 added also as the temples came before 1.7.10 because they decided to finalize 1.7 before updating to 1.8. But not the bunnys and beacons and the like... Also I'm sure it had the rocks if you gen new chunks but that one I'm less sure of

Nope, that is all 1.8 or mods via backporting.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com

Nom, that's all 1.8 stuff.
1.8 changelog:
Additions
Changes
  • Rebalances to the enchanting and repairing systems
  • Beacons may be colored with stained glass
  • Moss stone, mossy stone bricks, and chiseled stone bricks now obtainable by crafting
  • Cracked stone bricks and sponge now obtainable by smelting
  • Item frames now emit a redstone signal, and can rotate to 8 directions
  • Daylight sensors may now be inverted
  • Powered activator rail now dismounts entities riding minecarts
  • Arrows decelerate much more quickly underwater, and extinguish if on fire
  • Improvements to mobs' behavior and AI
    • Most mobs can now swim; notably, Slimes
    • Most mobs can now pathfind as zombies have; notably, angry Zombie Pigmen
    • Skeletons flee from wolves
    • Spiders no longer see players through solid blocks
    • Iron Golems attack Creepers
    • Babies' growth can be accelerated by feeding them
    • Most mobs will flee from a Creeper about to explode
    • Creepers, Skeletons, Wither Skeletons and Zombies drop their heads when killed by charged Creepers
  • Villagers
    • Will harvest crops
    • Breed only when willing
    • Have additional villager professions and trading schemes
    • Turn to witches when struck by lightning
  • Pets show death message if named with a name tag

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm need to go research to atone for my incompetence. Be back in 5 hours