Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
There's a pretty good set of users giving consistent and IMO fairly accurate feedback right here on these forums. If I was a dev this is where I'd go first, then IRC and then finally if I'm really out of ideas or needs tons of feedback Reddit.

I've bin wanting to suggest that but it feels so wrong.
"Hay stop lessening to those guys I don't like and come here to where the people I do like all hang out."
See what I mean. There is no good way to say that. Not that I'm going to stop trying to think of one.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Going back to the topic of the new Electrolytic Separator setup, this seems to have a very unfortunate synergy with the Jet Pack, which runs on Hydrogen, which is now apparently more precious than diamonds. Which means your jet packs are going to take forever to load, and will require over a hundred times the energy to fill.

Mind you, I'm not bashing the new system. It was about time Mekanism had a decent 'macro' power system, it's just the 'sticker shock' at the hydrogen pump was pretty... severe, and it may unintentionally really hurt several other byproducts at the same time. For example, the Purification Chamber requires tons of Oxygen, which is now going to be stupidly expensive since it is created at half the rate the oh-so-precious Hydrogen is.

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
Going back to the topic of the new Electrolytic Separator setup, this seems to have a very unfortunate synergy with the Jet Pack, which runs on Hydrogen, which is now apparently more precious than diamonds. Which means your jet packs are going to take forever to load, and will require over a hundred times the energy to fill.

Mind you, I'm not bashing the new system. It was about time Mekanism had a decent 'macro' power system, it's just the 'sticker shock' at the hydrogen pump was pretty... severe, and it may unintentionally really hurt several other byproducts at the same time. For example, the Purification Chamber requires tons of Oxygen, which is now going to be stupidly expensive since it is created at half the rate the oh-so-precious Hydrogen is.
When calculating the cost of oxygen, consider that, even though the "hydrogen cycle" no longer produces free energy, it does produce free oxygen. Feel free to loop the power right back into the Separator and generate all the oxygen you need. You may need more machines in order to provide an adequate flow, but the energy required to create that oxygen is effectively zero.

Reactions: Not_Steve

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
When calculating the cost of oxygen, consider that, even though the "hydrogen cycle" no longer produces free energy, it does produce free oxygen. Feel free to loop the power right back into the Separator and generate all the oxygen you need. You may need more machines in order to provide an adequate flow, but the energy required to create that oxygen is effectively zero.
Just one problem with this...

When an electrolytic separator fills up on either gas, it shuts down completely, and won't produce the other. This means if the oxygen gets 'backstuffed', it shuts down the hydrogen generation and can cause power to your whole base to go down. Being able to fine-tune your oxygen supply to demand to be exactly balanced is... practically impossible. So your results are either going to be a) you backstuff your oxygen and shut down power generation, or b) you don't have enough oxygen to process ores. Since neither option is optimal, you will need a dedicated electrolytic separator for your purification chamber. At 4kJ/t.

'but it creates this as a byproduct' is a null argument when having enough of a surplus shuts down your primary product production.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Reddit seriously isn't full of people asking for nerfs or extremists. There's some GregTech fans who are sometimes vocal when balance comes up, but that's about it. Almost every thread I've seen there is actually pretty civil, despite the lack of moderation.

As for the new Mekanism gas changes, judging by that design proposal, it's a lot more in depth. It does look like the Electrolytic Separators/Hydrogen Generators for power generation is dead though, yeah. Honestly, in my experience, they kind of wound up feeling like 2 block, easier to setup solar panels. That probably should be tweaked for balance, but I agree that the most logical way would be to lower power output. It seems like there are new options for power generation though, so hopefully they're good. However, it seems like they're trying to introduce more complexity into the gas/liquid systems of Mekanism, which I'm actually all for. Setting up the 5x ore processing was a ton of fun for me, and I hope we'll get more stuff like that. I would like a sort of void tank/jar for Mekanism liquids/gasses to stop the annoying backstuffing issue, or a "Dump when full" option. I'm guessing something like that can be easily engineered crossmod, but I don't know for sure since I'm somewhat new to diving into Mekanism.

Anyway, back to Electrolytic Separators: it seems like they're made to be dedicated to a single purpose, yes. I already used dedicated ones along my processing line, but I do hope the Jetpack is rebalanced for how expensive hydrogen is. Even if the power to generate hydrogen stays the same as it is now, if the Jetpack had much better fuel efficiency in proportion, it would be alright with me.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
This immediately prompted me to make my SSP modpack lol. It was all I was waiting for.

Knowing TE, it will be great. Just an FYI, though: early-game functionality has been nerfed a bit in that configurable sides and redstone control are now upgrades. Probably pretty cheap though.
From what I've heard the machines come prestocked with those upgrades.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Seems to be crashing me at the moment, testing further to determine the cause

Looks like there is something derping up with its dependency on CodeChickenLibs.

A finely crafted pastebin link

This might also be suspicious:

• [23:35:05] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: FML has detected a mod that is using a package name based on 'net.minecraft.src' : net.minecraft.src.FMLRenderAccessLibrary. This is generally a severe programming error. There should be no mod code in the minecraft namespace. MOVE YOUR MOD! If you're in eclipse, select your source code and 'refactor' it into a new package. Go on. DO IT NOW!
  • [23:35:05] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: FML has detected a mod that is using a package name based on 'net.minecraft.src' : net.minecraft.src.Start. This is generally a severe programming error. There should be no mod code in the minecraft namespace. MOVE YOUR MOD! If you're in eclipse, select your source code and 'refactor' it into a new package. Go on. DO IT NOW!

Last edited:

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I got TE4 to run with my in-dev modpack. To be fair, my modpack atm only has NEI, TE4, Botania and Railcraft, all in their latest versions.

By the way, it's awesome.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I really need to check this out...
2014-07-29_21.55.58.png
All new blocks ^.^

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
Just one problem with this...

'but it creates this as a byproduct' is a null argument when having enough of a surplus shuts down your primary product production.
Although it is certainly doable with a little creativity, I never suggested that you siphon oxygen off your primary power system. My point was that oxygen is free. Just to be certain, I did a quick little test and generated several thousand units of oxygen in a tidy self-sustaining system. Yup. Not expensive.