Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
At this point, the only thing it is truly missing is documentation, which I might end up doing myself just to save everyone the hassle.
And it would be great if you did some good Mek documentation. I have read a few of your pieces from your site and you write in an easy to understand way. I usually brute force Mek when I have a couple 16K drives full of resources but I would like to start it early game one day without relying on TE.
Actually, I've been writing a Padfoote-style guide to Mekanism. Expect it to be released pretty soon here.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
With the way ID works in 1.7 it will be much easier for players to take Dirwolf pack and just add what he missed out. I quute like his pack for being well balanced and for not including 5 mods that do the same thing for no reson.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I feel that whenever a new Minecraft version of Forge comes out, people should continue making mods on the old version In addition to the new until about say 60% of notable mods become available on the new. Some sort of community rule like that or something.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I feel that whenever a new Minecraft version of Forge comes out, people should continue making mods on the old version In addition to the new until about say 60% of notable mods become available on the new. Some sort of community rule like that or something.

Um, this means that nobody would make mods for new versions. Leave it up to the modders.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Very few people have time/energy/resources for that. Keep in mind that nobody's being paid to make mods, it's not their job and there are only so many hours in a week.

Many devs are fantastic about updating both old and new versions - and I have no idea how they do it; a lot of these folks are basically working two full-time jobs, modding being one of them and a mostly unpaid one at that. Be grateful for everything you get from them.

EDIT: To put this in perspective; Reika writes 14 mods. 14 mods. You're basically suggesting he write 28 instead for your convenience.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The worst is mods that have both 16x and 32x textures, without any consistency. *glances at TiC* (although it has gotten much better)
I can live with it, personally. I'd rather a mod come out with half-done textures, than wait in limbo for the sake of aesthetics.

Definitely a subjective taste thing though; I'm more concerned with gameplay than visuals.

Reactions: Padfoote

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Very few people have time/energy/resources for that. Keep in mind that nobody's being paid to make mods, it's not their job and there are only so many hours in a week.

Many devs are fantastic about updating both old and new versions - and I have no idea how they do it; a lot of these folks are basically working two full-time jobs, modding being one of them and a mostly unpaid one at that. Be grateful for everything you get from them.

EDIT: To put this in perspective; Reika writes 14 mods. 14 mods. You're basically suggesting he write 28 instead for your convenience.

True, I just think that mods that do not have a previous 1.6.4 version should have one. I'm not saying they should keep updating it, just have a version of it for the earlier version. Like that vertical slab mod. I want to use it so much, but sadly I'm currently only using 1.6.4.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
True, I just think that mods that do not have a previous 1.6.4 version should have one. I'm not saying they should keep updating it, just have a version of it for the earlier version. Like that vertical slab mod. I want to use it so much, but sadly I'm currently only using 1.6.4.

I understand the want for this, but the problem then becomes what version should they stop at? If mod authors provide a version for a previous vMC version, people will want one for their favorite vMC version, bug the authors to waste their limited time, and then get upset when they don't get what they want.

Reactions: PierceSG

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I understand the want for this, but the problem then becomes what version should they stop at? If mod authors provide a version for a previous vMC version, people will want one for their favorite vMC version, bug the authors to waste their limited time, and then get upset when they don't get what they want.

True. Very true. I guess my idea was just wishful thinking.

Reactions: Pyure

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
True. Very true. I guess my idea was just wishful thinking.
In the long run, it always comes down to one fundamental concept, I think; when you want something from someone, first ask yourself if you'd be willing to do it, and for what.

I have a hard time mustering up enough energy to write a blog post or update a character sheet most nights. If I can't manage that much, I have no grounds to ask anyone else to put in a lot of extra effort on my behalf.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
My personal all time favourite mod was RP2, so if y'all could just backport to 1.4.7 that would be great :p
I jest of course ;) I know for me, when 1.7.2 rolled around it was largely drop everything and port, but I didn't have all that much to do ... at all. Some people are really good at keeping multiple versions alive but for me it just gets confusing. And I really don't agree that the community should be encouraged to stay on an outdated mc version. (personal opinion)
Any thoughts on this:
Just posted our news for last week. Been getting tons and tons of request to cover drama. Personally not sure how I like covering drama, but if people want it I guess I should? Let me know how you feel on that please. :)
Modded News: Forestry going OS, ModJam 4 and Drama
I personally thought Bevo did a good job of discussing the drama without being biased or over-blowing anything.

Reactions: Pyure

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I just had a look at the vertical slab mod to check that it was indeed a mod that adds vertical slabs. This functionality can be replicated by the Carpenter's Blocks mod just so you know. It is a really great mod that can do more than vertical slabs (with almost any texture in modded minecraft). It can also do slopes, better stairs, cooler doors and beds and a couple more useful things. The MCF page has downloads for 1.5,6 and 7.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft has updated to its first official release for 1.7.2: http://www.railcraft.info/
-bugfixes with one major addition: trade station for villages.
Some discussion:
In his post, CJ mentioned that he is intending on adding an ore-gen system that will make using rails and carts for mining worthwhile - any ideas what this may be?
I know personally, I really enjoy world-gen additions :) I found my first meteor from AE2 today and it was awesome!

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Some discussion:
In his post, CJ mentioned that he is intending on adding an ore-gen system that will make using rails and carts for mining worthwhile - any ideas what this may be?
I know personally, I really enjoy world-gen additions :) I found my first meteor from AE2 today and it was awesome!
There seems to be a rather disturbing trend toward mods adding meteors. I'm not a fan of anything that busts up the landscape or my base, honestly.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
There seems to be a rather disturbing trend toward mods adding meteors. I'm not a fan of anything that busts up the landscape or my base, honestly.
From what I have discovered, the AE2 ones are not added during game as an event but instead as structures in world-gen.
Even with meteors that happen in the midst of the game, if there are defenses it might be a fun sort of "Russian Roulette" twist to the game...

Reactions: BreezyTaco