Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I know I was surprised when he said he was exited about trying this mod as I always knew him to avoid it and not even giving it a spotlight despite the fact it is very popular. On the other hand he is playing with woody witchery so blood magic shouldn't be too bad.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I was talking about Mekanism in my previous posts, not RotaryCraft. You're describing RotaryCraft.

Oh. Dang we are getting to many of these. :/
Lets see. Ah that one. I never played it. Those higher rez textures. I don't like them. They seem pretentious.
Edit: Elite Factory? Ouch.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Lets see. Ah that one. I never played it. Those higher rez textures. I don't like them. They seem pretentious.

Pretty sure IC2 is also using textures at the same resolution as Mek, or at least close to it.
Shall I make a RoC cheat sheet?

Actually, that might be useful for getting people used to it once it gets documented on the wiki.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Suggestion for this thread: put a link to the modded news thread for people who haven't checked it out before
Yes, this makes sense :)
but, people haven't seen that thread !? woah...
Edit: done
Edit: Elite Factory? Ouch.
The worst is mods that have both 16x and 32x textures, without any consistency. *glances at TiC* (although it has gotten much better)

Reactions: Padfoote

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure IC2 is also using textures at the same resolution as Mek, or at least close to it.

That's not a good thing! I think everybody knows IC2 has become pretentious. The personality the feel of IC2 experimental is almost as bad as GT.

I mean considering that the mods complete official name is IC2 experimental. Experimental is part of the current official name and they haven't changed anything since they started calling it that. I expended frequent sweeping changes when they gave it that name but we get nothing.[DOUBLEPOST=1399251380][/DOUBLEPOST]
The worst is mods that have both 16x and 32x textures, without any consistency. *glances at TiC* (although it has gotten much better)

Tic? Witch one is Tic again? Tinkerers construct?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
That's not a good thing! I think everybody knows IC2 has become pretentious. The personality the feel of IC2 experimental is almost as bad as GT.

I mean considering that the mods complete official name is IC2 experimental. Experimental is part of the current official name and they haven't changed anything since they started calling it that. I expended frequent sweeping changes when they gave it that name but we get nothing.[DOUBLEPOST=1399251380][/DOUBLEPOST]

Tic? Witch one is Tic again? Tinkerers construct?

TiC = Tinker's Construct.

And with the first bit of that, how does higher res textures lead to a post about how IC2 Exp. hasn't added much? And how does that even apply to Mek, which is constantly being updated? That completely deviated from my post, and the post I responded to.

Reactions: RedBoss

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
TiC = Tinker's Construct.
And with the first bit of that, how does higher res textures lead to a post about how IC2 Exp. hasn't added much? And how does that even apply to Mek, which is constantly being updated? That completely deviated from my post, and the post I responded to.
IMHO high res textures don't kill a mod (I do mean 32x btw) however:
  • There should be consistency
  • They should be well done. Not pixelated shrinks of large textures. (take most of Thaumcraft for example)
I think it is safe to say that for the most bit, the "experiment" in IC2's name has failed, at least on some level.
Mekanism suffers from the fact that Aidan wants to please absolutely everyone (not bad in itself but impossible to accomplish, doing everything in one mod just doesn't work)
*It is to be noted that IC2 is constantly being updated, just without actually adding much...

Reactions: Padfoote

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Just a question: where do people on the other thread find all the updates that are released? My first guess is twitter but it seems like not all the updates would come from twitter

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Just a question: where do people on the other thread find all the updates that are released? My first guess is twitter but it seems like not all the updates would come from twitter
People are asked originally to post links to updates, a well known mod usually can be found either way with a quick google search (resulting in a MC forum page), but lesser known mods are usually linked.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
People are asked originally to post links to updates, a well known mod usually can be found either way with a quick google search (resulting in a MC forum page), but lesser known mods are usually linked.
So people just search mod forum pages until they happen to find one with an update?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of Mekanism, and I consider it a strict improvement over IC2.

You don't have complicated and convoluted mechanics. You have your energy, it flows, it runs things. No needing to worry about things blowing up.

It's great at the early game, the Heat Generator is a really amazing machine. It's cheap at the price of one redstone and one osmium ingot and some cobble and furnaces, and you can either use it as a bog-standard engine that runs off of burnables, or you can surround it with lava for around 25 J/t passive energy.

Then you get the Metallurgic Infuser, which is used to make steel and a few other things you'll need to set up your infrastructure.

From there, you can start making your Enrichment Chamber for ore doubling and your Powered Furnace.

Once you do that, you can get your Crusher going, and probably upgrade your power to Hydrogen Generators, using the power from the Heat Generators to power the Electrolytic Separators for the hydrogen generation. While you're at it, you can build another Separator for your Purification Chamber, and now you've got triple ore production.

You've also got, for powered tools, the Molecular Whazzitz that pretty much goes through everything like a hot knife through butter. You've also got fairly early access to a jet pack (although the fuel supply is rather limited), and fall damage negation boots.

At this point, the only thing it is truly missing is documentation, which I might end up doing myself just to save everyone the hassle.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
So people just search mod forum pages until they happen to find one with an update?
Ah, sorry. I completely understand what you are asking now.
It consists of a variety of different sources, probably the biggest is twitter; it is also the fastest.
Otherwise, new mods are often discovered forum surfing.
For me, I closely follow the development of a few mods (mekanism and EIO really), I have the dev-build sites bookmarked and keep track of the changelogs.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Twitter, reddit, gethub and the mod own forums.
And sometimes from IRC.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of Mekanism, and I consider it a strict improvement over IC2.

You don't have complicated and convoluted mechanics. You have your energy, it flows, it runs things. No needing to worry about things blowing up.

I haven't played Mekanism too much. Thermal Expansion fulfills the role of "just works" for me. I just think that there is definitely room* for a tech mod with complicated power distribution mechanics. And I disagree slightly about the relationship between Mekanism and IC2 exp. I think Mekanism is a better mod than IC2 (based purely from my personal enjoyment of each mod). But Rotarycraft (RoC) beats IC2 exp at its own game. RoC has a sort of complicated power mechanic that requires some thinking, just like IC2 exp but it balances effort vs reward better. In my opinion, RoC is a more satisfying mod. It is not necessarily a natural successor to IC2 because it has a completely different approach. Mek and IC2 may draw on similar themes (like using electricity and having similarly upgradeable machines) but Mek does this in a different way to IC2, bypassing IC2's most distinguishing feature (its power system) and more.

And it would be great if you did some good Mek documentation. I have read a few of your pieces from your site and you write in an easy to understand way. I usually brute force Mek when I have a couple 16K drives full of resources but I would like to start it early game one day without relying on TE.

*There is room for IC2 and RoC of course. I don't mind what mods other people play and enjoy and I care only insofar as other people are motivated to keep playing modded minecraft in any form because its interesting to talk about sometimes.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
im hoping Reikas mods get put onto the forgecraft server. (and Reika invited as well)

Rotarycraft has to be my new favorite mod.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
im hoping Reikas mods get put onto the forgecraft server. (and Reika invited as well)
Rotarycraft has to be my new favorite mod.
Forgecraft is basically the same thing every single reset. Forgecraft 3 was the closest they have come to an overhaul. I have been hoping for enderIO to be added for forever; anyone I inquire about it says that it would have too much overlap with the other mods. They aren't going to ditch any of the mods that they normally go to because the devs are on the server.
This pretty much means that they keep the same generic pack forever. This also kinda applies to Direwolf20 and his pack. He cannot afford to spend the time to learn all that many new mods from the ground up so his modpack consists of much of the same every time around because he knows that he can use them to put out entertaining material.
Really, as cool as it is, forgecraft remains just another server with just another group of players and just another bunch of mods :)

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Forgecraft is basically the same thing every single reset. Forgecraft 3 was the closest they have come to an overhaul. I have been hoping for enderIO to be added for forever; anyone I inquire about it says that it would have too much overlap with the other mods. They aren't going to ditch any of the mods that they normally go to because the devs are on the server.
This pretty much means that they keep the same generic pack forever. This also kinda applies to Direwolf20 and his pack. He cannot afford to spend the time to learn all that many new mods from the ground up so his modpack consists of much of the same every time around because he knows that he can use them to put out entertaining material.
Really, as cool as it is, forgecraft remains just another server with just another group of players and just another bunch of mods :)

IC2 and TE always overlapped. But they always included both. Make the suggestion that they remove IC2 for Ender IO. And remind them that Ender IO is updated frequently with new content.