Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with you...
Ask @CoolSquid what my initial reaction was when I first logged in to a server with Mekanism updated (something along the lines of "Oh my f**king god, what have they done to my machines)
All the item textures look stupid. The machines are no longer distinguishable (the red and blue tanks on the separator for example) and generally it doesn't fit in with the mod... especially an old mod which had a very well established style

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm no artist, but here's a preview of Mek textures, restored to their original fronts, with new sides based on the new textures, but in 32x and original colour schemes.

2016-05-21_20.53.55.png

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
Ask @CoolSquid what my initial reaction was when I first logged in to a server with Mekanism updated (something along the lines of "Oh my f**king god, what have they done to my machines)
All the item textures look stupid. The machines are no longer distinguishable (the red and blue tanks on the separator for example) and generally it doesn't fit in with the mod... especially an old mod which had a very well established style
The flamethrower looks nice though

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The big question though is why was this needed.

Texture changes can sometimes be very much needed, such as the Buildcraft change.
However, the texture change for Mekanism (and Blood Magic in 1.8+) is too much, too fast.

If you have a new mod and are trying to work on functionality, then make better textures down the line, then that's fine. However, the changes to Mek were not all that pleasant and really changed the aesthetic of the mod. Also seeing as Mek has been around for a while, changing the textures really screws up with the instant recognition of items when you open a chest.
I still love Mekanism as a concept, but I really do wish the textures would get reverted.

If the textures didn't get ruined in this update, then I could overlook a few changes which broke some parts of the mod (e.g. couldn't craft the armoured jetpack - in 9.0.0) and the little changes which are so-so, like the amount of carbon/redstone/etc. you get from the compressed variants.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The texture changes for BC made it hard to instantly recognise some of the blocks but they were needed whilst the Mek ones weren't?
The BC texture changes were generally unnoticeable to the untrained eye; they generally kept the same colour scheme with a similar design (for the popular blocks), and the items generally stayed the same. Whereas Mek changed EVERYTHING. If someone showed you a screenshot of BC before and after texture changes, you could tell they were the same mod. However, Mekanism isn't as such.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The BC texture changes were generally unnoticeable to the untrained eye; they generally kept the same colour scheme with a similar design (for the popular blocks), and the items generally stayed the same. Whereas Mek changed EVERYTHING. If someone showed you a screenshot of BC before and after texture changes, you could tell they were the same mod. However, Mekanism isn't as such.
I still can't figure out the BC textures, which further decreased my use of the mod.

I'm pretty anti-Cyanide for mod textures, because everything looks the same and it ruins the distinguishing features of established mods.

Reactions: Chocohead

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I still can't figure out the BC textures, which further decreased my use of the mod.

I'm pretty anti-Cyanide for mod textures, because everything looks the same and it ruins the distinguishing features of established mods.
I don't know any other mods he has textured.
I don't mind unification in textures, if there is a good reason; e.g. a Thaumcraft compat module being purple and arcane in it's aesthetic. However, mods should be unique, even if they are pretty much the same.

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I do like the design of the new textures (especially with the new textures for sides/top/back of blocks), just they should have been kept to the original 32x resolution texture, and colour scheme.

To get you guys started, here's a very early replacement texture set for Mekansim. Should make your bases/setups look instantly more recognisable. I'll be adding this to my signature and update as and when I can.
Remember, it's not pure classic, but new style in classic resolution & colour scheme.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46396473/Mekanism/Golriths Mekanism Classic Textures 22May.zip

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
One of my design philosophies is that similarity is fine, as long as there's an inherent theme that allows you to easily identify what mod it's from. For example, furnaces--it's fine if the grill is the same from TE to EnderIO, as long as the chassis is different.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know any other mods he has textured.
I don't mind unification in textures, if there is a good reason; e.g. a Thaumcraft compat module being purple and arcane in it's aesthetic. However, mods should be unique, even if they are pretty much the same.
The team also worked on EnderIO and the current version of Blood Magic.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I quite liked the original Blood Magic textures :/

So he's the one who made that mod pack that is used in Running Red 1 (I forget the name)? Because that texture pack really made me dislike that pack (so I switched to default)

Reactions: RedBoss

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
In latest news, Curse has let off 3 people in their moderation team, namely Jadedcat, Myrathi, and Eyamaz.

Edit: Here is a video Vazkii made about the ramifications of a decreased moderation team.

So...anyone wanna talk about how they feel about this? Reddit's response has been pretty hostile, but I'd like to hear your guys's opinions, as I'd like to think we don't jump to conclusions so much.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
So...anyone wanna talk about how they feel about this? Reddit's response has been pretty hostile, but I'd like to hear your guys's opinions, as I'd like to think we don't jump to conclusions so much.
My comment on youtube:

Honestly, what did you expect? You're the creator of one of the most popular mods in minecraft. You've made DOZENS of completely legit and quite useful mods for minecraft. Anyone looking at your brand new upload would immediately assume it's completely legit because you're a trusted creator. If the queen of england is holding a sword, you assume she's performing a knighting, not an execution. If a priest is holding someone underwater, you assume they're baptizing the guy not drowning them. You're a trusted creator, so it's assumed you're uploading something legit, not malware.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I find it worrying, although I'd be careful to draw any conclusions from the limited information that is available. Curse's monopoly on Minecraft modding is dangerous, regardless of whether they've actually done anything wrong in this case. They control MCF, Feed The Beast, and CurseForge (and apparently tried to aqquire Technic at some point), which grants them far too much power over the community. If they decide to misuse said powers, we're gonna have a hard time stopping them.

I've decided to make all new versions of my mods available on both CurseForge and mods.io from now on, to help prevent Curse's monopoly. I'd recommend others to take similar steps.

Popular authors have tried to upload malware before.

There was that spat between the gregtech and tcon devs that comes to mind. Some of that did technically involve malware.

Reactions: RedBoss

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
@MaelstromPhoenix with Beyond the GraveMaelstromPhoenix said: Spawn zombies with your items on death!

Features:

• Spawns a zombie when a player dies that carries the player's inventory.
  • Zombies will equip your items on death. The better your armor, the harder it will be to get your items back.
  • Zombies will not die to anything except for player damage sources to insure item safety.
  • Inventory Backups: On death your inventory is stored and can be restored later using commands.

Please report any and all issues on my GitHub page. It is linked in the menu bar as Issues.

Detailed information about this mod can be found on the GitHub Wiki Pages
[/QUOTE]

Nooo, do not under any circumstances let wyld hear about this! He's working on the next UHS.